Map/Level Header Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callum

So why is this topic here? I decided to contribute a little bit to the community for beginning level makers who don't know how to make Level Headers using Lumpmod.

Map Headers for Dummies!

Contents
1) What is a Level Header?
2) Requirements
3) Method
4) Extra/Optional Lumps
5) Points to make

=========1. What is a Level Header?=========

A Header is a Lump which contains pieces of information for many things, stored in a Doom WAD file. This Tutorial covers Map Headers, which contains Level Information and Details.

=========2. Requirements=========
Lumpmod
A Brain
The ability to create a blank text file
The WAD you want to place the Headers in

=========3. Method=========
Make a new text file, naming it whatever you want. Open it up.

Paste this text in your text file, which will be your Headers.

Level
LevelName =
MusicSlot =
NextLevel =
TypeOfLevel =
SkyNum =

Haven't seen any of this, haven't you? That's why you're here!
Let me explain it for you.

Level (Put the MAP number here, eg MAP01)
LevelName = (What you named your level is put here)
MusicSlot = (The Music number of your level)
NextLevel = (The Next map you want to go to, put it's number here)
TypeOfLevel = (Put the level type here. 4096 is Single Player)
SkyNum = (The sky you want.)

After your last header, you MUST leave a blank line. Now save your text file. Open Start -> Run.

Put in:

(driveletter):\(directoryLumpmodisin)\lumpmod (filename).wad add MAPxxD (filename).txt

Replace xx with your MAP number. Now hit "OK"!
Test your level and see your results. If you have got what you want, Congratulations! You have now mastered Level Headers!

=========4. Extra/Optional Lumps========

ForceCharacter = (0 is Sonic, 1 is Tails, 2 is Knuckles, 3 is Zim, 255 is Disabled)
Weather = (0 is Disabled, 1 is Thunderstorm, 2 is snow, 3 is Rain, 4 is Thunder)
NoZone = (Removes "Zone" from Title card, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled)
Hidden = (Removes level from Multiplayer Level Select, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled)
Countown = (Sets Time Limit, put in Minutes and Seconds)
NoSSMusic = (When changing into Super Sonic, music will not changed, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled)
NoReload = (When player respawns everything will be the same, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled)
ScriptIsLump = (Makes scriptname a lump instead of a file, 0 is disabled, 1 is enabled)
ScriptName = (Lump or Filename) (Run script on level load. If ScriptIsLump is 1, it's a lump and it's a filename if ScriptIsLump is 0)
PreCutsceneNum = (Number) (Play Cutscene before level starts)
CutsceneNum = (Number) (Play Cutscene when Level Finishes)

=========5. Points people need to make=========
Roboashura: "Why is this so freaking hard for everyone? It's a command line program, so you have to run it via the command line. It doesn't have an interface, which is why it opens and then closes. It has nothing to open."

-----------
This tutorial was means for all the lazy people who don't want to check out the Editing section of the website. I was bored, anyway.

Draykon said:
You might want to point out the latest weather type: 4 Thunder without rain. I noticed that's not on there.

Whoops, eheh, added.

>> Actually, there's already a better one on STARS.

Ummm...Where abouts on STARS?

EDIT: There is, but it's on SOCs.

What is the point of this, exactly? We have a better one on STARS, which is what most people use anyways.

GCFreak: you know you said Lumpmodisin in that text you got to put in is that the name of the folder where Lumpmod is? I put my folder name in the code replacing Lumpmodisin but I got errors what mistakes have I made

P.S. = It's my first time making level headers so please bear with me thanks :o

Why is this so freaking hard for everyone? It's a command line program, so you have to run it via the command line. It doesn't have an interface, which is why it opens and then closes. It has nothing to open. GCFreak, please put this in the guide.

I get annoyed when people can't figure these things out for themselves. >_>

Ok thanks GCFreak for the Lumpmod problem although the Level header didn't work for my level pack i'm making but I ain't giving up yet :D

Sorry for bumping but you can add and make level headers in doombuilder, you don't need lumpmod.

Is there I didn't know you could do that thought you could only edit lumps thanks Zanyhead! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back