New gametypes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the problem in this case is that the character superiority is based on the only thing the gametype is judged on. In the other gametypes the thok is powerful, but it's not the only thing that's important to the mode but it's okay. Since race is based entirely on speed, the only thing that matters is which ability lets you get through the stage the fastest. Most of the time that's going to be Sonic, but on occasion it'll be another character because flight or climbing lets you skip vast portions of the stage.

But the "health bar" is the Rings counter, a health bar would break the gameplay, because it wouldn't be based on sonic games.

If you want a health bar, go play a standard FPS. The rings as health give SRB2 a unique feel, and it plays well. Removing it just makes SRB2 more of a standard FPS.

I don't think this idea has been posted, but since im too lazy to check all the pages, i'll write it:
I saw it in an old game called Unreal Tournament 2004 (get why its "old"?)
There was a gametype called... onsaughlt...? I think. Your object: Capture the capture points by transfering rings/ just standing on them, when theyre ready, the more capture points you're able to... well... CAPTURE. (Also, not all capture points are open at the start, only if a capture point conected/ near them has been captured they are capturable).
Once a team caught all the capture points/ the ones that are connected to the main core of the other team, you need to destroy theyre core by shooting at it, as the opposing team tries to stop you!
....But of course, this means BIGGER maps, LONGER play time, and some more stuff none will want to work on. But when I played that game, it was the funnest gametype, we could arrange tactics who takes what capture points, if by solo or not and so on...
I think it'll be awsome if it comes to SRB2.

I don't think this idea has been posted, but since im too lazy to check all the pages, i'll write it:
I saw it in an old game called Unreal Tournament 2004 (get why its "old"?)
There was a gametype called... onsaughlt...? I think. Your object: Capture the capture points by transfering rings/ just standing on them, when theyre ready, the more capture points you're able to... well... CAPTURE. (Also, not all capture points are open at the start, only if a capture point conected/ near them has been captured they are capturable).
Once a team caught all the capture points/ the ones that are connected to the main core of the other team, you need to destroy theyre core by shooting at it, as the opposing team tries to stop you!
....But of course, this means BIGGER maps, LONGER play time, and some more stuff none will want to work on. But when I played that game, it was the funnest gametype, we could arrange tactics who takes what capture points, if by solo or not and so on...
I think it'll be awsome if it comes to SRB2.

i would cut this part....too much. but the 1st half sounds like nodes mode of metroid prime hunters, and super mario war has a similar mode and the capture points shift places

Sonic is overpowered in Race just because he has the best ability for that mode and the highest speed. I think the game would be more balanced by lowering one of those two things:

1) You could play with the Speed VS Acceleration settings, making the speedest character (AKA Sonic) the worst character in acceleration. That would make him still the fastest and the best, but if you hit any kind of obstacle, basically you are screwed with low acceleration. Tails would have the best acceleration and Knuckles would be in the middle.

2) Put a recharge time for abilities. Thok isn´t overpowered, using it knowing what you do is. Put a recharge time of 1-3 seconds in abilities, so Sonic cannot thok each time after landing, and it wouldn´t be that much overpowered.

There could be a mix of those two too. Like thok don´t putting you instantly on max speed (just a bit more acceleration) and have a low acceleration on Sonic. That would mean that if you play good, you would be able to keep your speed, but you would screw up at any trouble, so Tails or Knux players could keep up in most cases.

Nothing will make an expert Sonic player lose against Tails or Knux. That would make non expert Sonic players really inferior to Tails or Knux. But this changes could balance the game a little more IMO.

About Chaos Mode, it could work and it could be fun, but it would require huge amounts of work and designing time to make it work properly. I don´t think it will happen.

Last edited:
1) You could play with the Speed VS Acceleration settings, making the speedest character (AKA Sonic) the worst character in acceleration. That would make him still the fastest and the best, but if you hit any kind of obstacle, basically you are screwed with low acceleration. Tails would have the best acceleration and Knuckles would be in the middle.
That is already the case. Tails accelerates a lot faster than Sonic, it's just not noticeable because Sonic can thok to go at full speed immediately.

2) Put a recharge time for abilities. Thok isn´t overpowered, using it knowing what you do is. Put a recharge time of 1-3 seconds in abilities, so Sonic cannot thok each time after landing, and it wouldn´t be that much overpowered.
The problem with that is that it would create differences between Race and other modes in terms of character control. A recharge time just for Race would make the game more complicated and less consistent, resulting in a steeper learning curve; and a recharge time in all other gametypes would nerf the thok considerably, and make Sonic an easy target in Match.

There could be a mix of those two too. Like thok don´t putting you instantly on max speed (just a bit more acceleration) and have a low acceleration on Sonic. That would mean that if you play good, you would be able to keep your speed, but you would screw up at any trouble, so Tails or Knux players could keep up in most cases.
I don't think the thok would work well like that, but I guess it could be worth a try. The acceleration itself is already rather slow, but as I said it doesn't become apparent due to the thok.

That is already the case. Tails accelerates a lot faster than Sonic, it's just not noticeable because Sonic can thok to go at full speed immediately.

Yeah, but as you say, with thok you virtually have max speed + max acceleration. Sonic should have somehow slow acceleration everytime. That way, he would be the best, but he would be penalized too for each mistake more than the other two, balancing more the gameplay.

The problem with that is that it would create differences between Race and other modes in terms of character control. A recharge time just for Race would make the game more complicated and less consistent, resulting in a steeper learning curve; and a recharge time in all other gametypes would nerf the thok considerably, and make Sonic an easy target in Match.

I agree, but in order to balance gameplay between characters you either have to change the actual gameplay or the level layout, and the second choice is too hard and tedious. I don´t remember if there were differences in Speed or Acceleration in Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 in Single Player, but they were the same in race mode for that exact reason.

The problem is that having the fastest speed and a ability that puts him instantly on max speed, it´s hard to balance the other two without actually nerfing Sonic, and he´s actually balanced in other modes quite well. Losing abilities in Race would make the mode not as fun, so the core gameplay must have something different. It won´t make Race as consistent with other modes as it´s now, but there should be some kind on change to fix that.

I don't think the thok would work well like that, but I guess it could be worth a try. The acceleration itself is already rather slow, but as I said it doesn't become apparent due to the thok.

I don´t really know if it could work because I can only talk about things I´ve tried myself, but the solution must be around that. Somehow, Sonic should accelerate less than the others, it´s the only way to balance the gameplay without touching the levels... I can´t think any other way.

The thing is though, with the thokk, you're sacrificing control for speed + acceleration. This makes it, as you said, the thokk only over powered when you know how to control it. Here's the thing though. It doesn't matter if I get every thokk down perfect, if a moderately decent Tails player races me in ACZ, I will lose.

...if a moderately decent Tails player races me in ACZ, I will lose.
Picking one of the few situations where Tails stands a chance doesn't help any sides of this argument.
I'm still not understanding what's so terrible about the characters being unbalanced. Is it a crime that the fastest character is the best for racing, and that the slowest player is the worst?

Few? DSZ1, DSZ2, CEZ1, CEZ2, ACZ, and ERZ2. That leaves 6 single player stages Tails has a much less chance of winning. In the actual race rotation, I've beaten people in a few of those stages as Tails and Knuckles.

And I honestly don't find the thokk overpowered. With flying and gliding, there is room for error. With thokking, there is not. You mess up at one point, and someone else will pass you unless you're ridiculously ahead. Racing as Knuckles/Tails is boring. There is little challenge there.

I wasn't trying to refer to singleplayer stages, since those stages are much different than a racecourse.
I don't see how you can just "design" a course that's balanced for the characters. If it's very vertical or has a lot of stops, Tails can dominate. If it's not very vertical, Sonic devastates. If it's a mix, Knuckles will do very well.

Exactly. But currently people see a problem with Sonic in race due to the structure. At it's very nature, it's impossible to create a race stage that is completely balanced. Heaven Pass is the closest thing we have due to it's openness, while Sonic is still able to dominate, if very good.

oh woops

Oh also skull-tag would be good. Played on CTF maps there are 2 teams (obviously) and when you kill someone a "skull" falls out (should be red or blue and I'll explain later why). The point of the game is to get as many of the OTHER teams skulls back to your base where the flag usually is. You will get points for each one. If you pick up a red skull and you're red then it will just disapear(no points). This makes sure no one of the other team can get it. You can hold lots of skulls then go and cash em' in or get one at a time and cash em. Getting lots is risky and can make you a target but is more rewarding. BUT if you are hit you will lose all of them. (skulls will drop and bounce just like an emerald, and will also dissapear at the same time)There will be a SKULL sign above you when you are carrying a skull (similar to the GOT FLAG sign in CTF). A number will also be great but I dont know if that's possible with srb2. (Note: you can never get points for the skull you start with because its your skull! also there is no sign above you unless you are carrying someone elses skull/s) REMEMBER: if you are hit you drop your skulls!!!

A free for all version on match maps would be fun too. there would be a skull number limit to end the game or a time limit. Either get...for example 10 skulls and you win or for the time limit its the person with the most at the end of the game. pressing TAB should show you next to the name of the person, how many skulls that player has. Again, having lots will, make you a major target so some players will want to lie low until near the end. In free for all the skulls need no team colors.....so maybe grey?

To be honest.....this sorta reminds me of the gametype shards in MYSTIC's mod.....except more complicated. =)

犬夜叉;684773 said:
And yet people still wonder why I lack the motivation to make another release...

Oh sorry.......I didn't really remember your name when I was looking at the wad (It's in japanese or something). All I remembered was some kind of anime avatar and I remembered MYSTIC had and anime avatar.

I have 2 new gametype idea's. My 1st idea is Rampage Mode. You must try and get the highest score by killing all the enemies.2nd is Last Animal Standing. It is kind of like Match. Each player stands on a ledge each. They are not allowed to change ledge but what they can do is try to shoot other people into the pit below. Once you hit the ground of the pit you are out of the game untill the next round! I've always wanted a gametype like that because I think it is good for Match experts.

I have 2 new gametype idea's. My 1st idea is Rampage Mode. You must try and get the highest score by killing all the enemies.2nd is Last Animal Standing. It is kind of like Match. Each player stands on a ledge each. They are not allowed to change ledge but what they can do is try to shoot other people into the pit below. Once you hit the ground of the pit you are out of the game untill the next round! I've always wanted a gametype like that because I think it is good for Match experts.

WHEE IDEA STEALER

1st: That already exists. It's called Chaos mode. It was removed, I doubt it's coming back.

2nd: Someone already suggested that. And it wouldn't work due to multiple reasons.
1. >_> No rings to collect if you're on such teeny tiny platforms.
2. Waiting an entire round after getting hit once? BOORIIING.
3. That just sounds retarded. It's Match without dodging, which takes away the whole fun of it.

I didn't say after getting hit once. The platforms will be big enough for rings,ring weapons and item boxes to fit on with the player and it might take quite a while for the player to fall of a big platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back