Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autosaver

Is anyone going to see this movie? I might.

Let me tell you, I HATE reading. Every book seems to bore me. And the only time when I read is when a teacher forces you.

So I picked up this book.. WOW! I finally felt some joy reading! Its one of my favorite books. I already read 3 of them. And I started reading the second one.

Any fans here? =p

I've recently read the book and I thought it was great. Then again, my literary standards have never been particularly high. I'm the type of guy who chuckles thinking about Captain Underpants, and is in his early 20's.

I haven't seen the movie and don't plan to. Besides the embarrassment inherent in going out in public to see it, I suspect live action (or possibly the movie format itself) really doesn't do the book justice.

@ Autosaver: I think you'd like Captain Underpants. The first five books would be up your alley, methinks.

Last edited:
I've heard of the book from my classmate. She brought it to school and I read it, and LOVED it. I didn't know it would be turned into a movie, though.

I'm the type of guy who chuckles thinking about Captain Underpants, and is in his early 20's.

The thing about Captain Underpants is that it has a lot of humor and subtle references that only an adult, or late teen would be able to catch. For instance, the names of all the teachers are puns. Self-parody of both the books and of Pilkey are also present, adding additional humor for anyone who knows about the author(heck, the books themselves are meta-works of the captain underpants comics he made as a kid). The art style is pretty cool, too.

Heap all that onto the nostalgia factor of having read them as a kid, and it's not too far fetched that you would still like them in your early 20s. Personally, I chuckle at the thought of a Captain Underpants movie starring Chris Farley. ("You know, he does look kinda like Captain Underpants..." "He IS Captain Underpants, stupid!")

Me too. Captain Underpants was so hilariously written (especially to my 9-year old self) that the books actually sparked my interested in reading (as opposed to just gawking at illustrations), which was a great thing.

I haven't looked into "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" too much, but I think it has a similar appeal and effect on today's kids.

Last edited:
I liked the Captain Underpants books when I started getting interested in reading, didn't care much for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.

The movie just seems more like a Hollywood cop-out than anything to me, but oh well.

I'm the type of guy who chuckles thinking about Captain Underpants, and is in his early 20's.
Oh, man, Captain Underpants. I remember reading those and how it got me into drawing.

Also, since when was this book getting a movie?
And since when did we have a Television forum?

The movie looks just plain depressing. I remember enjoying DOWK by how the topics refer to adult topics, whereas the movie probably does not.

Eh, the books are okay. They're definitely not anything spectacular. I've read the first and third ones and I have the Do-It-Yourself book for some weird reason...:/ I forgot why I wanted that in the first place...But I don't know what I think of the movie either. The kid who plays Greg looks like he's 8 years old!

And those Captain Underpants books have been around for that long?

What!?

They made a movie of diary of a wimpy kid? Please don't tell me it's like the ones in the books but played by real people because I think just a book is nice. It's like me reading about dennis the menace when I was a kid but there was actually a movie out and to me it was a bit of a fail. You do know what i'm getting at don't you?

They made a movie of diary of a wimpy kid? Please don't tell me it's like the ones in the books but played by real people because I think just a book is nice. It's like me reading about dennis the menace when I was a kid but there was actually a movie out and to me it was a bit of a fail. You do know what i'm getting at don't you?
Uh...No, sorry.

Then if thats the case i'm dropping seeing it altogether. I mean cartoon people played by real people. Seriously ¬_¬

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back