TouhouVania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Touhou is some sort of shoot em up (like Gradius, R-Type) that has tons of fans. It also apparently is not an anime or manga.

That's as far into it as I'm going.

The engine of all of these games looks solid enough, but a stupid maids and **** are so off putting that I can't bring myself to try them. If someone wants to skin these games so that they won't make my dad disappoint should he walk in and see me play them, I might be willing to try it.

The engine of all of these games looks solid enough, but a stupid maids and **** are so off putting that I can't bring myself to try them.
Same here, and being doujin games sold in Japan, for some reason gives people the right to pirate it all over every forums, too (like they can't google for them elsewhere).

The novelty of cute anime girls doesn't make a game better.

Same here, and being doujin games sold in Japan, for some reason gives people the right to pirate it all over every forums, too (like they can't google for them elsewhere).
No, it doesn't. It does make obtaining them legally quite difficult, though.

The novelty of cute anime girls doesn't make a game better.
At the same time, I don't see how that novelty makes the game worse, either. The graphics and presentation don't mean much compared to the gameplay.

Is Touhou licenced outside of Japan? If it isn't why care? (Unless you live in Japan of course)
No one can blame you if you pirate something that isn't licenced where you live.
And "just use Google" isn't a excuse, since you can just download it here.

BTW, wrong forum. Yes, I need to point that out, as Mystic alredy posted here and didn't notice that =P

Touhou is some sort of shoot em up (like Gradius, R-Type) that has tons of fans. It also apparently is not an anime or manga.

That's as far into it as I'm going.

It has been made into both an anime and manga.
The manga is official and made by the actual Touhou creator (ZUN).
The anime is fanmade.

No, it doesn't. It does make obtaining them legally quite difficult, though.

At the same time, I don't see how that novelty makes the game worse, either. The graphics and presentation don't mean much compared to the gameplay.

There are some people who have had some, well, bad experiences with those who are obsessed with japanese culture (myself included), and it's simply irritating is all.

Why isn't this the video games board, anyway?

SRB2MB is just going through a Touhou fad right now... no worse than TF2 really. While I do think the whole anime thing is out of hand, so is the hate for the art style. It's overused, yes... but it is still has legitimate applications and advantages. (for one thing, it works for a series focused on a ton of powerful creatures showering danmaku at each other)

Touhou is a shmup for weirdos... pretty much every character in the game is a weirdo (many come right out and say so), and pretty much the only people who won't be driven away by the premise. I'd be embarrased caught playing Soul Calibur, or World of Warcraft, or any other game where the girls run around in bikinis potentially with green/purple/red-colored skin... a weird game that nobody but me understands though, I actually show off my abilities of playing that.

---

With that said, there is no reason why Reimu should be using a chain instead of her miko thingummy. Also, it appears to be rather inaccurate because if it was the Scarlet Mansion, those beasts would be universally female and cute. It just looks to me like Reimu sprites pasted over an old Castlevania game.

touhou.jpg

Wait, is it legal to distribute the Touhou games?
ZUN honestly doesn't care about the fact people are pirating his games.. as long as they don't go throwing out ending details left and right without you having to beat them (Which caused plenty of mixups about Eirin during TH8 [come on, why did an emote try to render here..?]), and most people have respected that

The ones that are spin-off games (Megamari, Super Marisa World, Touhouvania for lack of a better name, etc), I don't know about at all. But considering it's somebody else who asked ZUN if they could use his characters in a game other than in his main series, I'd guess.. really, I don't know. But they're like $20, y'know?

With that said, there is no reason why Reimu should be using a chain instead of her miko thingummy.
It is actually her gohei, modified to have a ton of paper bits linked on each other to function as the token Belmont whip.

Also, it appears to be rather inaccurate because if it was the Scarlet Mansion, those beasts would be universally female and cute.
There are plenty of non-humanoid female youkai in Gensokyo. You just never see or hear of them. Mainly since they'd all be generic fodder and not note-worthy at all. Keeping all the visual enemies as nameless fairies keeps within the game's style. To be fair, later into the game there are plenty of nameless fairy maids acting like generic enemies, but it's mostly devilish youkai and whatnot.

Oh, also, there was no reason for the patch download link to be removed, as the patch was put on the maker's website to fix up some gameplay issues they couldn't address for the C76 release and would otherwise bust up the filesize even more. There's nothing about the full game in it. But that's not my call to make, y'know?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back