SRB2.org Mumble Server; voice chat for your servers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidolon

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
To effectively replace the Ventrilo and TeamSpeak 3 servers, there is now a Mumble server at server.srb2.org on port 9987. Mumble is a lightweight voice chat protocol and multi-platform application around it; the advantage it provides over TS and Vent is that you can create custom, temporary voice chat channels for your SRB2 games and just about anything else as well. It keeps the server clean of empty channels with no purpose and also allows it to extend on demand!

There is no plugin for Mumble's 3d audio positioning in SRB2 (yet?), but it's possible if any programmer is interested. The overlay will most likely not work in software mode, but should be perfect in OpenGL.

Why not just make it so you can use a mic to speak, and if someone is being annoying, make an option to mute them?

We REALLY need more people on these Voice chat stuff, honestly.

First Teamspeak, then Vent, then Sonict's Vent and now, Mumble.

Hopefully it won't be the 5th time.

I suppose I'll drop in and take a look.

Last edited:
(For the record, TS3 can do Temporary Channels too =P).

Might hop in there from time to time. I think Alam was looking at the Mumble SDK at one point...?

Why not just make it so you can use a mic to speak, and if someone is being annoying, make an option to mute them?

That would require significant work on the netcode in order to implement, and would better be suited by an engine that can already take advantage of it.

Alam has let me know that there is already support for Mumble's 3D voice positioning in SRB2 via the link plugin. All you need to do is join the same channel as another player in the same server as you, and they will have their voice adjusted to sound as if they're coming from their on-screen character.

Technically, this server is running from my account. Furyhunter is just happening to be using it more and I made him an admin to help me out back when I got it set up here. :P
I may pass the reins over to him in the near future since he seems like he could do a good job at keeping an eye on things.

Cue is right, Furyhunter. I could have configured the TS3 server the same way that you are doing it now, but I decided not to.

Alam has let me know that there is already support for Mumble's 3D voice positioning in SRB2 via the link plugin. All you need to do is join the same channel as another player in the same server as you, and they will have their voice adjusted to sound as if they're coming from their on-screen character.

O_O

That sounds REALLY cool! Now I just have to find out how to use this thing... I have absolutely no experience with anything of this sort before.

Wow, that sounds amazing! I can't wait to try it out!

Because that requires a lot of programming, silly! :)
Unless you took some source code from something or whatever. But then again, you never know.

I've stuck the thread at the request of Callum. It's progressively becoming more popular, so I think it's a worthy stick.

Okay, I see this being quite beneficial to the community, assuming we encourage it.

Noting the empty rooms, could this be due to the fact that most SRB2 users don't visit the MB, or find TS3 and Vent better, since we've used them so long?

I'm having some problems connecting to the Mumble server, it always says connection refused. Maybe things changed?

Uh, not really. Skype's something of a resource-hog, and tears the internet up quite a bit for low-bandwidth users.

As for the server, furyhunter's not bothered with maintaining it for a while, so it's mostly out of commission until someone pokes him in the ass to do something about it.

uhhhhhh try looking into Raidcall its free and you can make sub channels and all that and it has low latency so you wont lag at all while using it :D

uhhhhhh try looking into Raidcall its free and you can make sub channels and all that and it has low latency so you wont lag at all while using it :D

Please read the dates at which the last post was made. If it's longer than a month, and you've nothing substantial to say, please don't resurrect the topic.

As for Raidcall, I use it and it's just annoying. Along with that, I'm vaguely certain the Mumble server is gone and no one has interest in hosting one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back