SRB2 on a phone????

Status
Not open for further replies.

76Nova

I was curious if there was a way to do some sort of magic to somehow get SRB2 on a phone (similar to an emulator). I'm not really sure if this is even possible or if it's been attempted, but I'm curious to find out :)

There was an unfinished android port of the version 2.0.6 but it got scrapped. However you can try to run the emulator PPSSPP and the PSP port of SRB2 2.0.6. But don't expect good framrates or controls.

You can download Cameyo player and try doing some Dropbox (or Google drive) connection insanity to run SRB2 2.1 but i dont tested it

There was an unfinished android port of the version 2.0.6 but it got scrapped. However you can try to run the emulator PPSSPP and the PSP port of SRB2 2.0.6. But don't expect good framrates or controls.
Aww, that kinda stinks. I would wonder why they didn't finish the port? I'm in a bit of a pickle where my laptop doesn't work and I'm literally dying to play but I can't :(

Sent from my XT1021 using ********

Aww, that kinda stinks. I would wonder why they didn't finish the port? I'm in a bit of a pickle where my laptop doesn't work and I'm literally dying to play but I can't :(

Coding needs a lot of time and the devs are more focusing on developing and improving the game rather than porting it to consoles or handhelds since there are not so many players out there who play SRB2 in general. The only ports justified are the mac and linux ports since SRB2 is a PC game and not an handheld or console game. And despite the fact that there are not so many SRB2 players chances are rather low that there are any players who want this game on a handheld system or console. And porting it for just one or a few persons is (not to be offensive) just a waste of time. I mean what is the use of a port if nobody is going to play that port? Thats, at least, my point of view to this so I might be wrong with my comment.

No, I totally understand and feel the same way. Why spend a lot of time on something only a few people are going to like, instead of something that'll get used by everyone. If I had any knowledge, I'd attempt to make a decent mobile port. Looks like I'll have to put together some sort of half-assed laggy setup [emoji14]

Well, I downloaded PPSSPP, and srb2 psp, and when I open It, it shows the srb2 pic, and I can change settings etc. But, it crashes every time I go to play it.. Any help? [emoji14]

Last edited:
Well, I downloaded PPSSPP, and srb2 psp, and when I open It, it shows the srb2 pic, and I can change settings etc. But, it crashes every time I go to play it.. Any help? [emoji14]

When I tried to do that it crashed PPSSPP completely. Later there was an update wich was able to boot the game but in most cases after boot up the game itself froze but once it ran it was stable. However, I haven't played SRB2 PSP on PPSSPP in a long time since it only ran on a framerate like 15 to 20 FPS so I don't know about the later versions of PPSSPP. So I suggest to try it over and over again until it works.
Needless to say that my Samsung Galaxy S4 broke and I'm now using two Sony Ericsson Xperia Pros wich are super weak (1 GHz Single Core and overclocked on 1,82 GHz).
But they have a physical keyboard wich makes it easy to write messages :)

Oh. [emoji14] I guess I'll just keep trying, then [emoji14]. I'm on a first gen moto e, so I know your pain. Of course, its dual core, which is a bit better (still painful to do anything tho). I guess I'll just keep trying it

Hear me howl

Playing SRB2 on a phone sounds like a coooomplete nightmare, even if the technical requirements wouldn't already stop it.

Yeah, it probably is a nightmare, but I was thinking I'd be able to use a controller. Didn't really think it through :p. It'd be cool if there was some way to make it work on mobile, though..

The real nightmare is... my phone has an internal storage of 420 mb... So I had to root my phone in order to link apps on my SD card as a temporary solution... and since it has only a 1,82 GHz singlecore overclocked processor it takes MINUTES to load just one app so I had to use two phones. Fortunaly I got one Xperia Pro from my brother and the other from my sister so I was able to split the apps up to let the phones run on a reasonable speed. So one phone is my messaging phone and the other my media phone (video, music, ect.)

There are controllers for android devices. You can even use Wiimotes, PS3/4 controllers, XBox controllers, N64 controllers ect. however for wiimotes your android firmware must be under 4.2 (due to a change in the bluetooth code it is no longer possible to connect wiimotes via normal bluetooth) and for the rest of the controllers you need to have a usb adapter for the controller you want to use and a USB OTG adapter for your phone to connect the controller via usb (just make sure that your phone is compatible with USB OTG). If your firmware is greater than 4.1 you need to buy an external bluetooth stick wich you will need to connect via USB OTG in order to connect wiimotes (make sure that your bt-stick has a CSR chip build within it). Then you just need an application wich is able to utilize those controllers to play with them. I used to do that to play on emulators.

Last edited:
At this point you would be far better off trying to port it onto a mobile console, like the 3DS. Because the need to get some sort of controller for a mobile device, stops it from being a 'mobile device' because it becomes harder to take with you and becomes more of a laptop. The advantage mobile consoles have are the fact that they have more buttons for mapping to. The 3DS's joystick makes good means of controlling speed. (Just remember that you will replace it often if you're going to play SRB2 with it.)
21H2APCJD1L.jpg
Lest we forget this.

Last edited:
Oh, that'd be pretty cool actually. I never really played the PSP port of SRB2 (on a psp),
but I feel like the controls would just be really too slippery to play a game like SRB2 on it (especially with Sonic). But, I'd be cool to see a 3DS port, it would give me a reason to get a 3DS.

I logged in just to respond,I really want/desperately need a port for SRB2 for Android.

The 3DS has come a long way with homebrew development,it should be more than capable of running a port of SRB2,especially on the new model if it can also run homebrew.
I had SRB2 running near full speed in some cases like GFZ and Techno Hill on PPSSPP for Android,but it is dull without music due to file count limits.

Phones? Why not tablets and other Android devices?
There's several other Android devices that are really practical for SRB2 like the ones for televisions such as Nvidia Shield TV which can now run the Android port of Dolphin at perfect speeds.
And there's also FireTV,which I am using to type this via a Logitech K400r keyboard,and I also got a controller that works from the get-go with the albeit low resolution Android port of Goat Simulator.

Besides,what does Android run on top of? Linux! The same OS that has its own version of SRB2.
It may be quite a bit simpler to port the Linux version than it would be porting the Windows version.

Did you know Reicast is a Sega Dreamcast emulator on Android which only requires 1Ghz of power to run smoothly?
There's also an unofficial port of Half Life 1 PC to Android that runs impressively well.

Besides,what does Android run on top of? Linux! The same OS
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

*cough*

To be serious for a moment, Android being Linux-based doesn't mean you can just lift the Linux port and throw it on Android. They have completely different interfaces that you'd have to account for, and the build process is very different. SDL2 does exist for Android, yes, which would help the process some, but you'd still have to do the legwork of making a usable touch screen interface for the game, as well as all of the little optimizations that would be needed to make it run well on some devices. And don't even get me started on 3DS homebrew; the existing Doom port has performance issues even before you factor in our exponentially more demanding engine, and some things (read: sound) are a nightmare to get working at present.

If you need a port (to anything!) so badly, the game is open source and you can look up the SDK for whatever you want to port it on. Nobody here has the free time to make your own personalized port for you; we still take way too long to make releases as it is!

Last edited:
If you need a port (to anything!) so badly, the game is open source and you can look up the SDK for whatever you want to port it on. Nobody here has the free time to make your own personalized port for you; we still take way too long to make releases as it is!

I'm just going to doubly emphasize this particular point.
If you want to see SRB2 on a non-PC device, then realistically you need to port it yourself. While some of our programmers do occasionally do maintenance on other ports, we as a team do not officially support them. We are primarily designing a PC-based game. And while we know other systems CAN be supported, it is an unrealistic goal for us to try and make the game work on those systems when we are trying to finish the game on PC. The source is public. There is nothing stopping you from porting the game to another device yourself.

As a phone gamer, I just suggest you stick with Sonic Dash or something. I've been without Sonic Robo Blast 2 since 2014. Sorry, man. Not much you can do. Unless you want to port it, like Rob said.

I have recently splurged on an Nvidia Shield TV Pro on Black Friday and nobody can tell me that its not capable of running a port of SRB2 for Android.
I cringe at many mobile Sonic games from their in-app purchase money-grabbing nonsense.
But as for those faithfully rebuilt versions of Sonic CD and Sonic 2,those are fantastic,especially with the full 3D special stage design in Sonic 2,such a shame when Sonic 2 crashed after getting all 7 chaos emeralds.

Another aspect not mentioned above: Due to limitations, Android phones require usage of the OpenGL renderer to not run the game extremely slow, which is currently the most hideous cancer on this game. There was a developer who was revamping OGL with the express intent of ending up with a proper Android port, but they left the project and isn't coming back.

So if we ever see SRB2 on a phone, we'd probably want to backport the optimisations they made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back