So been getting into Roguelikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddratini

because it's the only thing my crappy PC will run atm, and I've gotta say, I really like DoomRL the best out of all of them, I feel like I have an actual impact on how combat works out through tactics, other than just upgrading my equipment.

Like, you can use cover to shoot around corners, and several character traits for character development also allows me to be more involved than a typical Roguelike.

Anyone else know some of the more unique ones?

NetHack is great and I am never ever going to finish it. But I'm assuming you've already played it as it's such a ubiquitous Roguelike. If you haven't, then I reccomend it if you want something truly balls bustingly difficult and thoroughly made, it really is a case of the dev team thought of everything.

Dungeons of Dredmor is pretty good, although fairly easy by the standards set by already existing Roguelikes. Easy being a relative term, dying is still very possible and perma-death is turned on by default but can be turned off if dying deleting your save file isn't your thing. It's also quite pretty for a Roguelike, while still keeping extremely low system requirements. My netbook that struggles with running Firefox or reaches 80 degrees when running streams can run Dredmor without any problems.

FTL Faster than Light is an interesting spin on the genre as well, by mixing Roguelike perma-death and randomisation with real time space battles while keeping super low system requirements. But I haven't tested it on my terrible netbook.

Played Dungeons of Dredmora (Computer can't run it though, played it on cousin's), was amazing, dualwielding maces with shooting lasers out of my eyes and dodging errything. I felt like the best dwarf ever.

FTL, got that now, it can run, it is awesomely amazing. But beat it, nothing more to do.

NetHack, haven't played it yet primarily because I've heard the difficulty is just in mechanics that a player has to spend years figuring out on their own (Which often means dying and you don't know why), so if I want a reasonable time playing it I have to spoil myself. Will still probably try it eventually though.

I really liked Brogue for a while. The graphics are very simple, but I find them beautiful. Oddly, it seems the game runs slow on some computers. It's worth a try.

I also enjoyed Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup more than most roguelikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back