Setup.exe Installer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCC2k9

I'm wondering, why there isn't a true installer for SRB2? I was thinking I can crank up an installer very easily with InnoSetup, but then again so can many of you guys who are closer to SRB2's development so maybe there's a reason why there isn't a true installer. Is it?

I'm wondering, why there isn't a true installer for SRB2? I was thinking I can crank up an installer very easily with InnoSetup, but then again so can many of you guys who are closer to SRB2's development so maybe there's a reason why there isn't a true installer. Is it?
Because it doesn't need installation, all you need is to extract some files. If for whatever reason, SRB2 needed to, say, change stuff in the Registry, then we'd need (well, it would be useful) an installer.

Because it doesn't need installation, all you need is to extract some files. If for whatever reason, SRB2 needed to, say, change stuff in the Registry, then we'd need (well, it would be useful) an installer.
I disagree. You have to create shortcuts manually. You also have to manually set the shortcut for the SRB2Updater to always run as an administrator so UAC allows it to go through in Win 7 and Vista. Unless you run programs from folders on your Desktop, which isn't very tidy, an installer can take care of these things. An installer would still allow the user to name his/her own folder, if that's how you roll, but would also make it easier to put the programs where programs belong (%ProgramFiles%) for users who prefer to roll like that.

Last edited:
Well, if you want to make an installer for SRB2, feel free. Its like how I'm making packages for SRB2 Linux.

Because AJ doesn't like requiring people to have administrative privileges to initially use our stuff...

Same reason I had to link the updater so it doesn't require the .NET framework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back