Conficker C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I'm pretty sure I have the worm, I'm not worried. That's coming from a guy who freaks out when he gets the tiniest amount of malware. I'm gonna cut it completely off from the internet and stop it from working. When more info is released, it is known not to live in boot sector, and the worm still attempts to update and/or continues to attack, I won't even activate the OS and go straight to the format disc. I've already backed up everything on a disc. If not, I can figure something out.

Did you see WATE 6 a few minutes ago? They don't say anything about the worm and instead talk about hijackers in general. Fox did a better job.

To check if you have it, if you had Microsoft automatic updates on, check if it's still on. If it's not, either someone changed it or you may have the virus, since it disables every opportunity to remove it. (I know this, I once had the earlier version Conficker B.)

And if Conficker B was as bad as it was (Breaking your internet connection, disallowing you from Anti-virus sites and breaks their scanning, using up 80% of your ram, etc.), I can't image how bad this is.

Ghost_Zero said:
To check if you have it, if you had Microsoft automatic updates on, check if it's still on. If it's not, either someone changed it or you may have the virus, since it disables every opportunity to remove it. (I know this, I once had the earlier version Conficker B.)

And if Conficker B was as bad as it was (Breaking your internet connection, disallowing you from Anti-virus sites and breaks their scanning, using up 80% of your ram, etc.), I can't image how bad this is.

Actually, I'm scanning my computer as I post this. And as for the updates, I already did that and it tells me to restart my computer. I'd be surprised to see Conficker sitting on my SRB2 folder.

crazy escape said:
YOU ALL ARE IN SOME DANGER
lol, Linux

But seriously, this is insane. It's not a prank. It's a VIRUS. Got that? A VIRUS. A pretty deadly one by the looks of it. I've scanned all my computers and don't have it, so I'll sit back and watch how this turns out. Three cheers for tomorrow!

(Although, I can't help but wonder if April's virus will somehow be able to spread to people who don't already have it via IRC or something...)\

EDIT:
akirahedgehog said:
What time zone is it on though?
THAT, my friend, is a very good question.

Kitsune said:
But seriously, this is insane. It's not a prank. It's a VIRUS. Got that? A VIRUS. A pretty deadly one by the looks of it.

The first time I heard of this (sometime around 11 pm last night. It's already April 1 here!), I actually thought that this was a joke by Microsoft so all the Windows users can do some stuff to protect their computer. A few hours later I found out it was real.

Maybe now's the time to listen to Windows Update and restart my computer.

Get ready (Those in the U.S)

it's gonna start tomorow. Im not getting on tomorow, I've already put this poor computer in enough hell with spyware. I don't plan to take risks dealing with something similar or worst again.

From what I've heard, the virus can keep certain programs from running and disallow access to update sites. This sounds an awful lot like a virus I cleared off of my sister's computer almost a year ago. If this is anything like it and you're infected with it, I would suggest installing an internet browser the virus can't block (such as Avast) and downloading the latest version of AVG with it. Run a scan immediately afterward, of course.

I've been able to update AVG successful, and I haven't been experiencing any symptoms. Regardless, I'm running a scan with Spybot, and I think I'm going to disconnect from the internet for the rest of the night and tomorrow.

The virus is a load of rubbish people. "CONFLICKER VIRUS MY BUTT!" Yes, I did say that at April fools. See? Nothing to worry about!

Funny enough, I really didn't bother to disconnect from the internet at all yesterday. Go figure.

Jellybones69 said:
FoxBlitzz said:
crazy escape said:
NO DOWNLOADING AT ALL!

You know that downloading files isn't the only way that this kind of stuff spreads, right? Right now there's the growing threat of browser exploits (been around for a while, but haven't eased up any)

Just out of curiosity, what are some other ways to catch a virus?

But really, 40% of me is thinking this is really and the other 60% knows it might not be.

You can get a virus by,
open ports
infected usb
Downloading(DUH!)
browser hijacks(happened to me once.)
HAXXORS*shot*
email
PINGS?(not sure)
and those are the ways I remember. Not sure I named all the ways however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back