The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard so much from various sources that I don't know what to believe what the deal actually is beyond it actually happening.

Like, isn't it only for the iTunes version or somthing?

Honestly, all the raging about Derpy's voice has kind of helped me get my personal pet peeves in check. Kind of helps to see somebody else doing all the raging you're doing (albeit on a different subject) so you can see how ridiculous you yourself are being.

And yes, the raging on this subject is ludicrous. We're talking "Derpy is dead" levels of ludicrousness, here. Yeah, it sucks, but the original is still floating out there, both in fan rips and on the official DVD coming out this week; it's not that bad...

Wait what, Hasbro actually edited that section and changed the voicing? Or am I getting something wrong? I don't really follow the community very often. Looking it up on youtube though, that's a horrible change. I don't mind if they don't call her Derpy, because that isn't necessarily a nice term, but changing the voice seems a little unnecessary.

official DVD coming out this week

What? I haven't heard about this. Care to explain? I don't see anything about it around...

Shout! Factory is putting out a 5-episode DVD on Feb 28th, entitled "The Friendship Express". It features:

• S1E1: "The Mare In The Moon"
  • S1E2: "Elements of Harmony"
  • S1E21: "Over A Barrel"
  • S2E13/11: "Hearth's Warming Eve"
  • S2E14: "The Last Roundup"
  • Some Pound Puppies episode
  • A longer version of the title screen song
For about $15.

Yeah, we're getting these instead of box sets. Oh well?

Confound it, I don't want these, I want my season 1&2 box sets! How will my future kids watch Friendship is Magic if they don't release seasons? ;)

For those of you wondering, I will spell out exactly what happened with Derpy, from a purely factual standpoint.

The Last Roundup episode dissappeared from itunes within a few days after its release, spawning the initial "Derpy scare" a few weeks back.

A few days ago, the episode was restored to itunes, with three changes surrounding Derpy.
1. Rainbow no longer uses her name.
2. Her voice is changed; it's now higher pitched and she speaks more quickly. Rainbow's lines during that conversation have also been re-recorded.
3. Derpy's eyes have been un-derped in that scene. Animators from the show have confirmed that this change applies to that scene only, and her eyes will still be derped in all other episodes.

All these changes, AS OF NOW, apply only to the itunes release. The episode has not aired on TV since its premiere, so it is unknown at the time what will be shown on TV.

The "Friendship express" DVD contains the episode, in which none of the itunes changes apply.

At the moment, it is unknown if Hasbro instigated this change, or if apple did it for the itunes version. Regardless, there are still ways to get a hold of the "old" Derpy scene, and her future appearances as an easter egg character will not be affected.

Also, yes, I do still lurk in these forums, I just hardly ever post anymore.

[QUOTE="BlazeFan1]. . .and her future appearances as an easter egg character will not be affected.[/QUOTE]

Which she should have stayed as from the get-go IMO. I had a feeling, somewhere in my gut, that the writers were going to voice this specific pony regardless. The only things that I was wrong in were the voice and name. I didn't really have a problem with the previous voice or the now current one for itunes (could use some work, but I felt it was appropriate in the sense that it worked with her.) But really guys. . . .you have a character who the fans dubbed "Derpy," which on the internet is normally (the former or latter) associated with ignorance and stupid faces. You then cannonize that name, and you give her a voice that makes her sound as if she's poor in speech, but it doesn't help that the character was crossed eyed either. XD

EDIT: Actually let me rephrase the whole voice thing. The real reason was due to the voice actor thinking Derpy was a boy and giving her the voice of a typical "neighbor's son in mind."
Tabitha_St_Germain_e-mail_Kelven486_Derpy_voice.png

So of course it wasn't intentional in the sense of making her sound unintelligent, just more as an "accident-prone klutz" which is what Derpy Hooves has always been anyway. So I still don't have a problem personally, but for those against the character. . . of course most people were going to find it offensive and connect it with the disabled. Not one person was going to overlook it and not complain about it! I suppose it's subjective from here, but the petitions and upsets really aren't needed. This happens in almost every cartoon. It does suck that they had to go change the voice, but at the same time I saw it coming.

In short, the Character still exists and will appear, you can see the DVDs serve as say, an Un-edited version of the episodes (if they intend on keeping the fair Tabitha St. Germain if Derpy is to be voiced again), so there shouldn't be a problem.

Shout! Factory is putting out a 5-episode DVD on Feb 28th, entitled "The Friendship Express". It features:

• S1E1: "The Mare In The Moon"
  • S1E2: "Elements of Harmony"
  • S1E21: "Over A Barrel"
  • S2E13/11: "Hearth's Warming Eve"
  • S2E14: "The Last Roundup"
  • Some Pound Puppies episode
  • A longer version of the title screen song
For about $15.

Yeah, we're getting these instead of box sets. Oh well?

I got it for $9.99 at Target, Best buy should also have it listed at that.

also it's been comfirmed that Hasbro is behind the change.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/gawkers-article-on-friendship-is-magic.html

Is it just me or is the whole board bronies? That just made me a bit queasy.
The whole show is Derpy, not the pony thing.

Thank god. I thought I was the only non-hypnotic one here.

Oh god. . . you know. . . I can understand how annoying it is to see the spread of a sub culture come into some message boards, and it's practically the ONLY thing you tend to see sometimes, but it's also annoying to see those who clearly show that they don't like that sub-culture, and make claims like "I'm glad I'm one of the normal ones, compared to the obsessed."

I may not be a fan of MLP or a pony nerd (don't mean that in an negative way to anyone mind you), but I know the difference between expressing my thoughts maturely and just being rude to others. It's sub-culture. . .shows and products tend to have this effect on people. You have your large Sonic fans, Mario fans, Gundam fans, Mega Man fans, Dr. Who fans, Garfield fans, and Betty Boop fans, as well as a large assortment of other fanatics out there. Likewise you have the haters of the fans, separate their existence and intelligence from theirs, make threats and insults; the cycle repeats. . .what are you going to do? All you can do is just live with it. There are others on this board who aren't bronies, but don't complain or insult others either.

EDIT: Curse you Autosaver, you ninja'ed me with a link XD

Last edited:
Nickster99, I'd like to remind you how the last time you broached this subject went. You're not off to any better a start here.

If you can't touch the subject without putting in thinly-veiled insults in every post, don't touch the subject at all - or we WILL ensure you won't be able to touch any subject.

The Brony fandom and the Sonic fandom are exactly the same anyway.

No offense, but I think you mean the Furry fandom. Just go on Sonic Retro's forums and you could find that statement horribly wrong.
But I'm still confused (not in a bad way) about why you guys want to buy merchandise for this show when yet the merch is incredibly girl-ish.

I think what he meant is that both fandoms are comprised largely of whiny children and whiny manchildren. There are good people too, of course, but they're not the ones who tend to get the outside focus.

Both are also perhipheral fanbases, too! (You can kid yourself all you want, but Sonic games are designed for kids.)

But I'm still confused (not in a bad way) about why you guys want to buy merchandise for this show when yet the merch is incredibly girl-ish.

Who said we want to buy merchandise? Any posts I've seen here talking about it are decrying just how horrible the merchandise is. I myself have an AJ figurine, but I wasn't the one who got myself it. It was given to me as a sort of joke birthday present by a friend. I was too kind to tell him just how horribly show inaccurate and ugly it was. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back