Recording software that works with this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegix

Generally Friendly
So out of frustration that no one I ever talk to about this game ever bothers to check it out, I thought I'd try to make a video/review/spotlight/THING about it in the hopes that if I SHOW something about how fun it is I'll get someone interested.

...And the recording software I've used in the past (OpenBroadcaster Software) just does NOT play nice with SRB2. At all. >_>

Inverted colors, no video being recorded, bizzare graphical glitches, blurring, etc happen when I try to record. :s Probably because of how the game is a mod of a super-old engine. The best I can do is jury-rig a monitor capture in OpenGL mode and even that's got problems.

What do the rest of you use when you try to record gameplay from SRB2?

You should try to use the SDL2 build when you record. The DirectDraw builds tend to be harder to get to cooperate with recording software, in my experience.

I use Fraps (yarr-harr) in 640x400 software windowed when I record, typically. If we're talking DirectDraw builds Fraps still works with them, but you have to be in full-screen if you're recording in software mode, since the windowed mode doesn't output in a way that Fraps can pick up. OpenGL should work fine with it windowed or full-screen in either build.

On the occasions I stream the game, and thus have to use OBS, I get the best performance in windowed 640x400 OpenGL on the SDL2 build, using a window capture. Software works alright with window capture in both the SDL2 and DD builds with OBS (in windowed mode, obviously) but that lags a lot on my laptop, so I don't use it. OpenGL in the DirectDraw builds will freeze on the OBS capture on things like level change if you use a window capture, unfortunately.

Lately I've started using OBS, but earlier I've used Hyper cam.

my most recent OLDC video had game footage of SRB2 recorded with OBS

I use Mirillis Action Studio for any recording purposes on my computer alongside SRB2 as well.

I use CamStudiohttp://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/ for any generic screencasting purposes, coupled with my laptop's built-in Stereo Mix capabilities for recording the sound. (Do note that CamStudio will often generate splitted audio and video files, so you may need to get a utility to join both files.)

You should try to use the SDL2 build when you record.

Software works alright with window capture in both the SDL2 and DD builds with OBS (in windowed mode, obviously).

That got it working (albeit with a just barely tolerable amount of lag-spikes), thanks for the heads up.

I'll look into some of the alternatives when I have a minute as well, if I do any more recording in the future.

Bandicam is good. Depending on your settings, you could get a mix of low file size and good quality. SDL2 is also supported by Bandicam, meaning you could record in software mode.

Use Fraps or Action! for recording. If you have a decent video card, You can record in opengl. I recommend to you to use 640x400 when you record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back