[Open Assets] Jetty-Syn Proto V2.1.1 - Back for more! (Updated 9/7/2017)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i had a LOT of fun playing with proto, playing as him gives me Metal Slug memories, i also liked the adition of when you get a Fire Flower, you get Fire bullets.

Just wanted to mention that I'm currently working on patch V2.0 of Jetty-Syn Proto. There are several different things I want to improve in this update, but it would take me too long to explain all of them, so I'll just go over some of the more important gameplay adjustments.

H76OIky.gif

First, the obvious: new HUD. The number of encounters you've experienced (since the level loaded) and your current charge level for ball mode are now visible from the HUD, but the HUD also gives away a couple new features.

Proto will receive a new mechanic called the adrenaline rush. By dashing directly into enemies, Proto will receive a temporary boost in speed and firepower, which can be extended by attacking enemies. This is intended to make the game more fast-paced for skilled players, but also give players an extra tool to help them against ambushes and bosses.

You may also notice that there is a health bar in the HUD. This is still a bit experimental at the moment, but I wanted to give combat more weight, and having increased firepower/speed gave me incentive to turn Proto into more of a glass cannon.

Most of the code for this update is done already -- I just need to work on touch-ups, bug fixes, and some rebalancing (particularly for match and ctf, which I've basically neglected up to this point). Expect a new download link probably around a couple weeks or so.

H76OIky.gif

First, the obvious: new HUD. The number of encounters you've experienced (since the level loaded) and your current charge level for ball mode are now visible from the HUD, but the HUD also gives away a couple new features.
Seems interesting. Just a few things I'm wondering about.

What's with Proto's color? Is there a reason for that?

Also, a suggestion would be to perhaps move the new HUD elements to a better spot on the screen, maybe along the bottom or in the top/bottom right corners as it is kinda crowding the left side of the screen.

Seems interesting. Just a few things I'm wondering about.

What's with Proto's color? Is there a reason for that?

The pulsating color indicates whether Proto is currently in adrenaline mode (orange/red for stage 1, steel/purple for stage 2).

Also, a suggestion would be to perhaps move the new HUD elements to a better spot on the screen, maybe along the bottom or in the top/bottom right corners as it is kinda crowding the left side of the screen.
Yeah, I plan on messing with this still. There's a lot variables onscreen now, so it's a bit of a struggle to keep the HUD clean.

The only problem with moving it to the right side is that the powerup icons are often displayed there in first person. Meanwhile, a lot of custom mods use the bottom right corner for things like boss health bars, meaning that anything placed down there would conflict with mods like SUBARASHII. In spite of Proto's increasing complexity, I'm still trying to keep him compatible with as many level packs as possible.

Looks very promising! One thing I should say is that with the current version IIRC (I think it tells you I dont remember) is that it doesnt really tell you when an encounter is happening. I remember running around a stage and only realizing an encounter happened when I had to back-track or they caught up to me when I had to slow down. Other than that this is a fantastic character you made Colbalt.

Looks very promising! One thing I should say is that with the current version IIRC (I think it tells you I dont remember) is that it doesnt really tell you when an encounter is happening. I remember running around a stage and only realizing an encounter happened when I had to back-track or they caught up to me when I had to slow down. Other than that this is a fantastic character you made Colbalt.

Sorry, this is a late response. In the current public version, a siren alarm sound goes off to alert you when an encounter is happening, so you may want to turn up your volume so you can get that audio cue. This indicator will still be here in the new version, but the HUD will also tell you if an ambush is in progress and how many encounters have occurred since the level had loaded. (This will be useful for multiple reasons, which I won't go into just yet.)

I also updated the HUD in response to feedback. The new version keeps all of the relevant information, but is significantly more compact and less obstructing to the field of view. Take a look at what happens to the bottom HUD elements as Proto moves between different modes and powerups.

tvyZaor.gif

Whoops. Looks like it was my volume, my bad. ^_^;

That new HUD looks really great I cant wait until the next version!

Proto is very close to finished -- I just need to do a few more playtests to kill any bugs that may have slipped through the cracks. I'm expecting to upload on or before the 3rd; in the meantime, here's me screwing around in SUGOI/SUGOI2 (minor spoilers inside):

PdwCO8I.gif

EihJVl4.gif

vx4bSUE.gif

It's here! Get the download in the description.

2.0 Change Log

Feature:
* Proto now has custom health! Getting hit by enemies is a bit more dangerous now, but you can upgrade your health pool by collecting emeralds.
* Feel the rush!! Proto will get an adrenaline boost whenever he dashes into enemies, making him temporarily stronger and faster.
* Proto can "air hop" while in ball form -- for a little fuel, you can slow your momentum and hop forward in the air. Good for precision platforming!
* New item pickups have been added, and monitors can now drop items as well.
* Ambushes progress in difficulty and reset upon death -- the longer you go, the bigger challenges you will face.
* A new HUD, designed to be more informative and more compact for Proto players.
* Several new console commands have been added -- type proto_help for a full list.

Maintenance:
* Optimized performance
* Improved mod compatibility with SUBARASHII

Balance:
* Jump height increased.
* Fuel no longer regenerates in Single Player/Coop/Race (must collect pickups to use).
* Tweaked fuel item pickup values
* Proto's bullets will now be deflected by solid objects and some projectiles. (e.g. Unidus spiked balls, Gargoyles)
* Dash duration increased (12 -> 15 tics)
* Ambushes are less likely to occur while fighting enemies.
* Proto has been overhauled in CTF and Match in order to make him more competitive
-- Proto now uses red rings instead of popguns
-- All of Proto's weapon rings destroy monitors
-- Raised Proto's fuel regeneration cap (6 -> 16)
-- Fuel regeneration cap increases as more power stones are collected.

Bugfixes:
* Fixed enemies and monitors turning invisible when shot
* Fixed Proto being able to use jet fuel while carrying the flag
* Fixed Proto not being able to turn Super in Match/CTF

Just wondering, are the enemies supposed to appear every minute or so? It just seem to happen too often. Not even 1 minute into the first level of a Marathon Run in SUBARASHII and an army warpped in.

Also I think it'd be a good idea to add a rare warp enemy that drops an upgrade so you can regen your rocket fuel and each time you get the item, it'll increase the regen max by 5 or 10 e.g. 1st = 10, 2nd = 20 etc.

Other than that, it's pretty good.

I had intended to make ambushes more prevalent and more consistent, but perhaps I went in that direction a little too much. I will tweak it in the next update depending on feedback.

This looks incredible! How did I not know you had made a character wad? A kickass one at that! It looks like it brings a bit more doom back into SRB2, since this is a shooter engine after all. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but it looks great and I can't wait to see it in action.

Thanks for reporting, will upload a hotfix in the next couple of hours.
Thanks! Also, will you bring some old content back? I miss Proto's Fire Flower use. It was sort of fun using it in Pipe Towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back