Netbombing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried Prime's solution on the first page by firewalling that IP they gave, and haven't had a problem since. I think you should try that.
Well, that's assuming that person has been attempting attempting to kill your server again. As was shown above, there's a far bigger offender out there with a different IP.

I've tried IP blocking another known offender while he was DoSing my server a while back but it didn't work for me at all, so...I dunno.

Welp this is beyond a joke. It just happened again, but there is not, repeat, not, any problem with my network whatsoever. It just magically spikes up the ping. Fun fact: I was hosting a GMOD server alongside an SRB2 server, and the results were interesting. The ping only went up on the SRB2 server, where as the GMOD server ran flawlessly as usual. Odd wouldn't you say? :v

It just happened again

Congratulations , this is a new ping reccord
penq.png

I saw a server with a ping of 15 digits. Who is bombing the servers?
I only know of two netbomers: SERIAL KILLER (who was mentioned earlier in this thread) and Darkis (he's repeatedly netbombed my server). I don't think that there's any other known ones out there, but there probably are others out there that are doing these netbombs.

Last edited:
A guy joined flair's RP server.
*HyperAsh* was the name of him, and he joined saying:
"I had fun crashing your weak, unprotected, vulnerable server."
Upon joining EVERYONE got C-Failed straight away.

A guy joined flair's RP server.
*HyperAsh* was the name of him, and he joined saying:
"I had fun crashing your weak, unprotected, vulnerable server."
Upon joining EVERYONE got C-Failed straight away.
Sometimes huge c-fails can happen upon a person joining. I don't think he did anything special to c-fail everyone. It more than likely just a coincidence. I've joined random servers before, and right as I joined, everyone got c-failed.

Regardless, Ash is back, huh? We can add him to our list of crashers. I didn't know that he crashed servers, but he is the one who developed the program, after all, so I guess it makes sense. He was more keen about distributing the program rather than using it before, though.

Something really needs to be done about this. The situation will only get worse and worse as he distributes the program more and more. But...it's not really an SRB2-specific program, now is it? I'm not sure if it really can be fixed. Our only solution right now...is to block IPs through our firewalls and hope that it works.

The thing is, he joined the first time and that was how he entered.
The second time he didn't C-Fail everyone but it was the same amount of players/same people. Also went on a rant about how he had a dynamic proxy and could crash servers easily. I didn't buy it, but it was just, eh...
Instantly my brain told me it was AshTheAnon. @_@

This hacking stuff is just dumb now, only a fool would hack a server that people host on a Sonic fan game.

There has to be some way to make sure a third party admin does not flood your ports...
You could host on the lan and give other people your I.P. Then they join you without anyone hacking you. I have not tried it yet, but it COULD work.

There has to be some way to make sure a third party admin does not flood your ports...
You could host on the lan and give other people your I.P. Then they join you without anyone hacking you. I have not tried it yet, but it COULD work.

The LAN idea could work, but if the hacker is good enough and they specifically target you, they may know your IP and could still flood you. The problem with DDoS attacks is that they are virtually impossible to have a good defense against. Your best bet is to notify your ISP about the floods, and they may be able to stop the perpetrator, or they may even be able to catch them. I know that most ISPs will attempt to stop the DDoSer because their attack degrades the quality of their internet service, and it's expensive to for them to have to process all of that junk traffic.

The LAN idea could work, but if the hacker is good enough and they specifically target you, they may know your IP and could still flood you.
Yeah, I've had this happen to me. Hosted an offline server (the MS was offline at the time) and the hacker (Darkis) targeted me still and started netbombing my server. There's really no escape from these DoS attacks, especially when someone is targeting you specifically.

Yeah, I've had this happen to me. Hosted an offline server (the MS was offline at the time) and the hacker (Darkis) targeted me still and started netbombing my server. There's really no escape from these DoS attacks, especially when someone is targeting you specifically.

I'm telling you man, even though it may seem trivial, but your ISP will help you with these attacks if you let them know. Even though it's just with a Sonic game, Darkis' attacks still cost your ISP money, and they will be interested no matter what is being DDoSed.

Just so you know, we're hoping to push out a 2.0.7 hotfix to stop SRB2Kill from working. There was an actual bug at work making SRB2 hypersensitive to Denial of Service attacks, and it's now been fixed.

Actually, you might find the game's netplay runs a little more stable due to the fix, but I'm not making any guarantees or promises.

That sounds REALLY good. I really appreciate the fact that work's been done to prevent this stuff from happening. I'm sure a few others will also appreciate it.

If it does get released, that'd be really nice.

Is it okay if i post the steam annoncement here? Not everyone has steam.
Posted by JTE.
"Whenever Alam wakes up, a minor hotfix update will be released wherein a small army of midgets comes and stands on eachother's heads to climb up to the sign marking SRB2's version number and roll it down by one.

There are no new features or additional content in this update, but it fixes a critical bug affecting netgames wherein SRB2's hyper-sensitive network code would actually slow down its processing speed to only one packet per frame if any unexpected data is received.

Because this is now fixed, netgames will become more stable and server pings should not inexplicably jump up into the thousands, should some random idiot or service happen to send ping messages to your server's hosting port."
Releases tommorow.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SRB2#announcements/detail/1585554050176439144

So, does the name "SRB2Haax.EXE" sound familiar to any of you people? Perhaps that is the cause of this stuff.

Yes. Thats it, this program greatly increases the ping of the servers.

Congratulations , this is a new ping reccord
penq.png

I'm telling you man, even though it may seem trivial, but your ISP will help you with these attacks if you let them know. Even though it's just with a Sonic game, Darkis' attacks still cost your ISP money, and they will be interested no matter what is being DDoSed.

Excuse me?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back