If I understand this GNU thing correctly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaysakado

The Doom 2 EXE is free, but the files that come with it aren't, right? If that's the case, does anyone know where I can find it's source code?

Wait, do you mean the official doom2.exe? If that's the case, the source used for the official versions was never released. id Software only released a chopped up version of the Linux source, which has been improved upon by the DOOM community.

Kaysakado said:
@Billy, don't they need to release the source for the public binaries?
That's where it gets confusing. Doom was a commercial game, sold in stores etc., and then the source code is put under the GNU. I guess they count the Linux source they released as sufficient source release.

I don't exactly know much about the GNU, if I did I'd totally e-mail id about this sort of stuff.

Oh yeah, IIRC the only people outside of id that have actually even seen the official source are the people who worked on BOOM. Perhaps whatever it is you want to do with the official source, you should instead with the DOS BOOM source.

The EXE, sure, the EXE was released in shareware form*, the source is still unreleased. I don't see where you're going with this.

*DOOM's shareware EXE can play DOOM II, try it sometime. ;)

Billy said:
The EXE, sure, the EXE was released in shareware form*, the source is still unreleased. I don't see where you're going with this.

*DOOM's shareware EXE can play DOOM II, try it sometime. ;)
Does it crash in levels with Doom II monsters? >> <<

I was under the impression that Freedoom was an entirely original work, otherwise it wouldn't be on Sourceforge, a site which prides itself on hosting free material. Free as in "free speech", not "free drinks". I hate that cliché, but there you go.

And the only way to play netgames with someone is if the host has a wad added. Elsewise it's really lame for FreeDoom to have those bad sprites.

I just remebered, FreeDoom does't have a super shotgun. Go figure. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back