Locked Topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shu

__I came on these boards this evening to find a torrent of locked topics. Most of these where locked without posting, and several with no easy-to-find, acceptable reason for it to be locked. Most noticeable was the editing section, in which many threads had been locked. Two of these topics may have been locked because the one who locked them thought that they where "recolors". I find this very disgusting.
__First of all, I will say my usual bit of you don't have to download the wads if you don't want to. Second, I find that this would be very insulting to the creators. Maurice the Hedgehog was Fish Hook's first wad, and should have at least received some constructive criticism, even if harsh.
Jetsune, or what ever it was called, was meant by it's creator to be less of
a recolor as possible(from what little I read). Telling them that they shouldn't even try is one thing, but locking their topics is like saying "I absolutely refuse to let you do this."
__The creators of XWE probably had in mind giving any one the ability to make their own Doom wads,( or, in this case, SRB2 wads,) no matter how crappy. All in all, I'm pissed.

EDIT: Yeah, I read the anouncement now. Pure "BS".

1) The announcement addresses this. Damn good thing happening, too.

2) I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Just because they don't have to download it doesn't mean they can't voice their dissent to the creation of the character. As long as it isn't a direct flame (IE: You suck and everything you do sucks), it's acceptable, as long as there's some basic reason given for it, beyond "It's a crappy recolor". Essentially listing why it's a bad thing is perfectly acceptable.

3) Umm...What? The creators of XWE have nothing to do with what wads are designed. They designed it to make wad editing easier, not for free-for-all-do-whatever-you-want-no-matter-how-much-people-hate-it garbage. Essentially, I see no point in this.

Dark Warrior said:
2) I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Just because they don't have to download it doesn't mean they can't voice their dissent to the creation of the character. As long as it isn't a direct flame (IE: You suck and everything you do sucks), it's acceptable, as long as there's some basic reason given for it, beyond "It's a crappy recolor". Essentially listing why it's a bad thing is perfectly acceptable.

I was talking about why it was locked.

Explained in IRC by Mystic, he has no problem with recolors in the character forums. And, honestly, locking them all is far easier than moving them all. Not to mention that common sense says to put those in the Character Releases forum.

But those characters weren't complete yet (as far as I know), so they should go in the editing board. Think about it and it might make a little sense.

Does it make sense? Yes. Are they necessary? No. Notice that 90% of character topics involve "Help me, I don't know what to do!!!". And repeatedly pointing to the SRB2Wiki clearly isn't doing them any good. The others only show sprites, not actual screenshots. While at one point, that could be considered acceptable, it's becoming clear that it just can't happen.

Erm, I don't see the difference between sprites and screens. Either way, it has been proved work is being done. And I never said any thing about the idiots who are to lazy to click on a link to the wiki and need to have there ***** banned off.

EDIT: FF is probably about to say: We already have a topic for this. Lock.

So.. why exactly do recolors need their own topics when they aren't even done yet? Am I missing something here? At first it's a "should I make this?" kinda thing, and that's alright. But why would you need the topic beyond that? Showing progress? Why not keep it to yourself 'till it's done? (I know I'm being slightly hypocritical here, but there's a difference between showing off screenshots on IRC and having a "Stroke my ego" topic)
As for wad releases being in Editing, they shouldn't be there anyways. They should be in Releases.

Mmm, yeah, now that makes sense. But you guys could at least post that so they would know.

(As you can see, I, unlike many others here, have the ability to consider other's sides of view.)

EDIT: The whole thing kinda makes sense to me now, so I'm all happiefied again.

Basically, I was rather liberal with the locking, and a few topics were probably unfairly locked, but if you look in the announcement, I clearly state that if you have something new or interesting, you can go ahead and post a new topic about it if it follows the rules.

Basically, it was either a mass lock or locking every single topic on the forum, and I chose locked a majority of the topics, mainly the ones with unhelpful subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back