Super SRB2 Kart Z =NOT EXACTLY CANCELED=

Status
Not open for further replies.
xu7el.png

UMPH.

Whee, my old Mario Mode textures.
Also, when the map is out I dare you guys to find a certain level reference in it.

ZarroTsu will be updating very soon, but while he does that, I have some new mapping tools for you guys! First is...

THE SRB2 KART DOOMBUILDER CONFIGURATION FILE

GilL2.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7986587/Kart-db-v1.cfg

This config will allow you to see the new objects in Kart mode, as well as the objects from the SRB2 Riders DB config! It also adds the missing Pokey Flip object.

NOTE: Make "SRB2.srb" your iWAD. Don't worry about not seeing SRB2 Kart's resources because of...

THE SRB2 KART RESOURCES FILE FOR DOOMBUILDER

kfmxP.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7986587/KartResources.wad

This file includes all textures and flats, as well as most of the sprites. Under "Additional Textures and Flats from WAD file", add this, and everything will be visible! This includes sprites that were seemingly not there in the SRB2 Riders config due to them being in a separate file.

NOTE: Don't about RPPETROL4 or 5. It was a bug in long need of fixing.

Last edited:
Fun time we had in that server there. It was fun, despite my high lag. I don't know what was with that, I don't usually get lag in Zarro's server.

Cheep Cheep Coast was very impressive indeed. The theme was well executed, and the visuals were fantastic. The moment I first went into the underwater part, I literally gasped out loud. The jumps, on the other hand, had me raging. The first time I came across them, it wasn't even clear to me that you had to get to the other side, and I plunged into the death pit. Having done that, I cleared the first two, but kept getting hung up on the third one. As small as the jump height is, it requires to you have very good precision to get across. And seeing as the jump is right after another jump and around a tight corner, you have little to no time to line yourself up. Even when I understood what to do, I kept getting hung up on it. I personally don't think the jump should be used as a mandatory mechanic to levels. It's just... too unreliable. You have to have enough speed AND be lined up perfectly, and that's too much to ask the average player for in many situations. To make it worse, any item activity before a jump is immediately going to screw you over, if it doesn't send you to your death.
Besides that, the only complaint I have is that some of the paths felt a bit too narrow for Kart.
Oh! I feel I must add that the no drifting sand gimmick is amazing. It really adds a nice advantage for the elemental shield, too.

Besides that, the only complaint I have is that some of the paths felt a bit too narrow for Kart.
If they were any wider, turning would be even more trivial than it already is.

I have a few complaints:

• Iceman's glossy item boxes are godawful. Why were the old ones replaced?
  • The other new brick textures in Mario Circuit also need to cut down on the gloss. It clashes horribly with the other brick textures.
  • The underwater part in Cheep Cheep Coast just doesn't work. The floaty physics feel extremely unnatural and the jumps are unintuitive. Unless you can find a way to make the hop actually higher rather than just longer, please cut out the jumps.
  • I'd like it if you played up the "no drift" factor of the sand a little bit more with sharper turns. As it is, the gimmick is kinda wasted because the lack of drift doesn't really matter.

• Iceman's glossy item boxes are godawful. Why were the old ones replaced?
Hey now don't pin this on me. Not only are they part of my older work, I had no idea he was planning to revive them in this mod that mixes the textures with the regular set.

The main problem with Cheep Cheep Coast's gimmick is that... I really had no idea what to do with them. The anti-drift sand I had pretty much no ideas for, and that ended up going to waste. I certainly don't think I'll end up using it again purely due to the lack of anything to do with it.

As for underwater, a few of my ideas just didn't pan out, and as you noticed, hop height is fixed and is unaffected by gravity. Its very difficult to tell whether you're actually in the air or not, as you just kind of hover for awhile other than hop, and there's little indication on what to do. I don't really know how to convey "hop over this gap with the usually-useless-for-platforming hop" other than "you are in a low-gravity area", and I really had no other ideas.

Basically, the map played with the drifting mechanic, but in the end, little got accomplished and the map is mainly just two proof-of-concept bits. sure, we leaned something and maybe someone can make a better map with anti-drift sand or make a better underwater level or something, but for now, Cheep Cheep Coast is just a demo of sorts. Ah well.

Oh, and we seriously need to make it so if you're in your pain state for too long, you go into your falling frames, as it can be problematic if low gravity is ever used again.

Just remove the jumps in the underwater section, restore gravity back to normal and call it a day. Of course, then the underwater section won't have a gimmick, but I'll take "no gimmick" over "broken gimmick".

Well, until just recently, I had a problem.

I came across a problem with SFX with using this new srb2kart. Whenever I try to load the SFX, it gives me this error that I don't know how it happened.

"CreateSoundBuffer() FAILED: One or more of the parameters passed to the function are incorrect"

I'll also provide the log here.

I really wish someone out there would be kind enough to fix the problem, because ZarroTsu refuses to. I already asked him, he said he won't even take a look at it. So now, I must live without SFX now in srb2kart. And I'm not really too happy about it. So I decided to come on the MB to make a post about it to show people in case they DO have a fix to this problem. I mean, it doesn't seem too much of an issue just by looking at the error message.

I've always liked srb2kart, it was a lot more fun than it's grandfather JmanKart. All I wish is that I could play it properly. So, until the problem is fixed, I will find my time on srb2kart pretty limited if I do say so myself. However, the updates to the game are fantastic though, I wish you all best of luck too! :)

Secondly:

My Block Fort map is allowed in your mod now, if I didn't already make it blatantly obvious through IRC. And now that theres a Doombuilder config for it, I'll be more than happy to make more maps for it!

Keep up the awesome work with srb2kart guys!

Oh, and we seriously need to make it so if you're in your pain state for too long, you go into your falling frames, as it can be problematic if low gravity is ever used again.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=33433

The other new brick textures in Mario Circuit also need to cut down on the gloss. It clashes horribly with the other brick textures.

I don't know if your talking about my Mario Circuit or not since I haven't played the newest version, but It's being remade, so don't waste your time fixing/criticizing it. it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back