Official Level Design Contest Voting: January/February 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlueZero4 said:
SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
And yes, I would think Doom would be bad. I know, it's the game that allowed SRB2 to exist. But I myself don't appreciate some of the things that are in Doom (even the first one). Doom 64 had intentional Satanic imagery. And since it was very blatant and intentional, well, I would never play that.
Perhaps Chex Quest is more up your alley?

No, because I'm too old for that. I don't want to play Doom because, well, 1) it's rated M and I never play those games, and 2) there's too much references to hell. Lame, and well...wrong. :P I'd rather play other games. Even a T rated game is something I'd play (but not always). Anyway, let's focus on the OLDC again, shall we?

Single Player Voting

I shall do single player voting now. I think some people will be surprised at what I give some of the levels.

Emerald Valley Zone by I'll Begin, 5/10
Pretty average. I liked the alternate path, but I didn't like that there wasn't much of a reward in that path. There was also a bunch of bouncing around on springs. I'm also a little irked by the fact that if you fall into the water, you have to start back at the first checkpoint and go from there. It gets annoying.

Ivy Caverns Zone by Azure Hawk, 1/10
I did not like the camera problem at the beginning. Conveyor belt rock does not make sense, not to mention that it wasn't all that obvious where to go at that point. More importantly, had I not looked at SRB2DB with SonicMaster on this level, I would NOT have found the underwater spring mainly because your choice of color for the water made it too dark to find the spring. The one point was for the quicksand trap, that was good. That was the only thing good about it.

Lavender Lagoon Zone by Azure Hawk, 5/10
Oooooooh, lavender......with blue waterfalls. XD This was a lot better than the caverns with too many vines. ^_^ I disagree with SonicMaster on the placement of the extra life monitor at the beginning. When I could not get it on the first try, I tried four or five other times and FAILED. So, good placement there.

I also liked the placement of the second life monitor. I actually found it by accident on a cliff of one of the round pillars after the first checkpoint. I can see someone losing a life trying to get it, so good job. I could have given you a 6 if the door at the beginning had opened a lot faster than it did. I also got lost in a few spots, so that also hurt your score.

Coastal Cave Zone: Act 1 by Arrisork, 4/10
This is okay, but why have the first checkpoint on the last small island? There were too many mirrored paths, the window in the cave wasn't really necessary, and there...wasn't...much to the last part of the level. I did like the spike traps, though.

Daimondus Zone: Act 2, by Glaber, 6/10
The wall texture isn't as ugly as other people think. I also liked the drill bots throughout the stage. Maybe they can be an official Thing? The redone emerald token was cool, too. My issue with this was the fact that you could see the beginning of the level from the end, and vice versa. There were also parts that were just for exploration; they had no other point to them.

DimenGlabSpecial by Glaber, 0/10
I found myself playing this once and saying, "What am I doing?! This is such a lame stage!" The blocks got in the way too much, the endsigns look way too weird for its purposes, and you're not getting rings fast enough, making the ring requirement way too unreasonable. There is also a huge, unnecessary maze to the stage; cramped mazes should be illegal! XD

Forever Forest Zone by BlueZero4, 8/10
I like it due to the fact that I solved the "puzzle" you gave us in the first try. Bonus for the underwater chamber and making it so awesome to explore it! I had fun, and I didn't get lost, which was a wOOt + awesome!

Jan/Feb 08 contest voting

Single Player:

Emerald Valley Zone by I'll Begin - 6/10

The different levels and the scenery were great, and I enjoyed the capsule idea at the end. But a lack of secrets and the amount of springs marked this down a bit.

Ivy Caverns Zone by Boss/Azure Hawk - 6/10

Enjoyable, and quite lengthy. It had a few cheap hazards like the spike balls and the conveyor belt, but overall a good map. Needs some work on different levels and using different textures though.

Lavender Lagoon Zone by Boss/Azure Hawk - 5/10

Jumping up steps was a main feature of this level. The reddish colour was different, and the textures were used well. Many enemies ruined it, one on each step.

Coastal Cave Zone, Act 1 by Arrisork - N/A

This is my first released level, and I admit it is bad. Bland, flat, and with few secrets. I also found my spike pits to be laggy after playing it just now. I would rate this as a 3, because it is bad compared to the other SP levels in the contest. + how can I sort out the run-through-enemies glitch?

Daimondus Zone, Act 2 by Glaber - 3/10

Short, and why did you change the red crawla? This level hurt my eyes. There were some different secret paths, so that's at least something. About as good as my own entry.

DimenGlabSpecial by Glaber - 0/10

Thin paths in a maze, and a less than one ring per second count. Not good for a special stage.

Forever Forest Zone by BlueZero4 - 8/10

Great scenery and detail, and very large with several ways to get to the end. The teleporter idea back to the beginning was different. A really good map.

Re: Jan/Feb 08 contest voting

Arrisork said:
Daimondus Zone, Act 2 by Glaber - 3/10

Short, and why did you change the red crawla? This level hurt my eyes. There were some different secret paths, so that's at least something. About as good as my own entry.
Replace? The red Crawla was never used in act 2 durring any of the development. I just used the Drilla to showcase how it should work. I should note that I did have help from Morph with getting the Drilla this functional. Oh, also the Drilla is a different Thing number from the Red Crawla.

DimenGlabSpecial by Glaber - 0/10

Thin paths in a maze, and a less than one ring per second count. Not good for a special stage.

Ok I get the idea. I'll do no more of this type of Special Stage. Instead I'll carry over a select amount of gimmics from this type to use in a new special stage. The Exit signs and the blocking hands will be dropped.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
BlueZero4 said:

No, because I'm too old for that. ...

You think you're too old for that? I'm 21 and I don't think that. I still play games like Freddi Fish dispite being out side the age group.

Special Stages need to have the open area that Match maps have, but they shouldn't be as big as say, Desolate Twilight. There should not be an obvious path to get rings. Don't do a Jazz Jackrabbit type Special Stage. Otherwise, it will still fail. What is good in Jazz Jackrabbit isn't necessarily good in SRB2. Even without the end signs and hands, DimensionGlaberSpecialStage would still be worthy of a 0.

Well then I'll be expecting to see a special stage from you again next contest that reflects this view. To me though there should be obvious paths where you can get rings like in the official Special stages.

Voting over!

D means dropped; X means a 10.

Emerald Valley Zone: 76656779856 = 6.55
Ivy Caverns Zone: 423504333216 = 3.00
Lavender Lagoon: 4343524755 = 4.20
Coastal Cave: D32462334 = 3.38
Daimondus Act 2: 4D74556663 = 5.11
DimenGlabSpecial: D00010000 = 0.13
Forever Forest: D988778088 = 7.00

Arial[sic] Match: 4212162 = 2.57
Last Stand: 321123 = 2.00
Sand Fish: 422124 = 2.50
Physics Lab: D7977 = 7.50

Spring Passage: 53055 = 3.60
Season's Greetings: 65D8 = 6.33

Freezing Flare: D75545 = 5.20
Tslxruf Village: D4X453 = 5.20
Endless Mine: 411041 = 1.83
Wacky Track: 78D76 = 7.00

Winner of the 1P division is BlueZero4!
Winner of the Match division, by a margin of 4.93 points, Jazz!
Winner of the CTF division, RedEchidna!
Winner of the Circuit division, Me!

This contest is rather unique for many reasons. First off, DimenGlabSpecial broke the record for lowest rated Single Player map. Second, Physics Lab Zone beat the second place Match map by a margin of a whopping 4.93 points. Third, it was the first contest to have two NiGHTS levels entered into the same division: Endless Mine and Wacky Track. Lastly, Forever Forest would have received an 8.00 in the contest had two people not voted 0—the reason was because the original WAD was broken and most people ended up downloading the fixed version instead.

Kuja said:
SonicMaster, Are...are you monologuing? XD
lolwut? I...guess. I'm summarizing the contest. Or how about just copying what was on the Wiki. (Yeah, I post there fast. :P)

Guess what? With an overall average of 4.30, this is the second worst contest to grace the forums (according to the average).

Wahoo. "Second the best" again! ^_^

Hey. Wait a minute. I voted in the division i posted my map in, or did i have to rate all the maps first before getting a vote dropped?

I'll Begin said:
Wahoo. "Second the best" again! ^_^

Hey. Wait a minute. I voted in the division i posted my map in, or did i have to rate all the maps first before getting a vote dropped?

You had to vote in all the ones in your division. You didn't vote on Lavender Lagoon Zone.

Yeah. Thought so.

Still. I would of came second anyway by the looks of it. I don't mind though. I'm just glad my map was accepted way better than i thought it would be.

Wow. I think my votes turned everything topsy-turvy. For example, Freezing Flare might have won had I not voted on it; according to SonicMaster, my vote lowered its score. My giving Forever Forest an 8 raised its score enough to overpower a certain valley of awesome green jewels. Physics Lab... everyone liked it better than the others. It's actually going into Jazz Attack & replacing Space Dock. Season's Greetings...well, since there was only one other CTF stage in the contest, it turned out that Season's Greetings was better. I did say that Spring Passage felt like an official stage, though. *hint hint*

Gemini Spark said:
Wow. I think my votes turned everything topsy-turvy. For example, Freezing Flare might have won had I not voted on it; according to SonicMaster, my vote lowered its score. My giving Forever Forest an 8 raised its score enough to overpower a certain valley of awesome green jewels. Physics Lab... everyone liked it better than the others. It's actually going into Jazz Attack & replacing Space Dock. Season's Greetings...well, since there was only one other CTF stage in the contest, it turned out that Season's Greetings was better. I did say that Spring Passage felt like an official stage, though. *hint hint*

No, I would have won even without your votes, Gemini. Arrisork's vote was enough for Forever Forest to win. And Space Dock? Space Dock Zone was made by Dark Warrior; Space Platform Zone was made by Jazz.

Ehh, an average map recieves an average score. Those are my words and I'm sticking to them.

Both of my scores are records for me. They're my first average-to-slightly-above-average maps. (Considering 5 as the average.)

Well since I got the lowest score on record. Lets try for another of the highest scored. Next contest expect to see: Desert Dreams (SP and R) along with "Voiced Concern" (M Warning, will contain Chaos Emeralds in order to voice a concern about 1.1)

glaber said:
Well since I got the lowest score on record. Lets try for another of the highest scored. Next contest expect to see: Desert Dreams (SP and R) along with "Voiced Concern" (M Warning, will contain Chaos Emeralds in order to voice a concern about 1.1)

Well, lowest score for 1P levels. Second worst overall. There was one match level that managed to get a 0.00: The Shining River Zone. It was Worldofpainalicious.

Anyway, why voice a concern about 1.1? And M Warning? Does that mean the rating M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back