So I'm curious about something regarding 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've re-written my post plenty of times to try and get straight to the point so I'm making this my last post because this topic feels like it's going in circles.

At the very least, Knuckles should have a super form. He canonically has one. Tails could too, with the shield (as seen in Sonic Heroes). Throwing in a super form does not harm the gameplay at all, and giving them this power up does not ruin the character. It just speeds up exploration.

Let's talk rewards for a second. You say you don't want to make a habit of making something to collect for a reward when the method of getting to the reward isn't fun. That's good. We wouldn't want to make the player be forced to do a tedious task more than once, let alone three times. But what's the incentive to get them as Tails and Knuckles? There's no alternate endings and they receive no benefits at all whatsoever for doing so. I get it. Boring tasks would suck. But rewards aren't just the source of all evil, either. If you want someone to do something, rewards help. You could get someone really interested in a game-mode they never knew about before (Nights maybe?) by giving them the incentive of something that benefits their main game. Super Forms. Super Form is a nice reward, regardless of whether or not there were other unlockables in the game. I promise you I wouldn't touch the emeralds in Sonic 2 or Sonic 3&K if I didn't get anything for it.

You need to give the player some incentive, and right now this doesn't exist for Tails or Knuckles. However I enjoy exploring the level as Sonic and no one else to find all the hidden emerald tokens because I get something from it. Why bother with Tails and Knuckles if I'm not going to get anything for it? I understand you want to keep the characters strongly unique in some way and feel that making them invincible and faster for taking the incentive to explore might seem bad to you, but I promise you it's not. If you want to give the players a reason to explore with Tails or Knuckles, the emerald tokens are literally the perfect way to do so as long as you give them the incentive for super form and maybe put an emblem along with it, or nearby. Heck maybe it doesn't even have to be a super form, it should just be SOMETHING (and I'm not talking about a one time unlockable like a secret level that anyone can access. A few bonus secret zones for JUST Tails or JUST Knuckles would also be really satisfying, in my book)

I don't think you should rely on just the emblems alone to make people want to explore. You got to give some players the kickstart and I think a super form for Tails and Knuckles would be a great way to do that. While the reward should be just as rewarding as the journey itself, no one wants to do something they wouldn't get any satisfaction from. I'm not going to do some 100% completion for challenges in Smash Bros if all I get from it is "wow you did it." That's not satisfying.

But to each their own I suppose. Like I said, this is going to be my last post in this topic. I feel it's going in circles or at the very least, I'm apparently not contributing anything new to the discussion at all so I'd just be wasting everyone's time by making more posts.

Last edited:
Now when you say "paired up" are we assuming Sonic has to go super too? Or that they actually need to be paired up with Sonic to do so? Because Shadow has gone super on his own in Shadow the Hedgehog, and I guess if you consider Sonic being with Shadow as "paired up" I definitely would not consider that to be the case. While it's true that Shadow did pair up with Sonic in SA2 and Sonic '06, I'm pretty sure it's canonical that Shadow can go super without being paired up with Sonic, so to speak.
Sorry, I should have been more clear: when I gave up on the franchise, Shadow was dead, and they were pretty consistent about how they applied super. When I said "pair", I don't mean them going super at the same time as much as I mean the pairing in the plot. To use SA2 as an example, Sonic versus Shadow was a major plot point.

Any changes they made after I gave up on them aren't reflected in my statement.

Seeing as how material was made for both halves at the same time, it's only logical to believe they always intended for Knuckles to be able to go super.
Sorry for the vagueness, but I meant that they didn't intend Tails to go super, not Knuckles. I think Knuckles going super was part of the plan from the start, as Knuckles is Sonic's rival in S3K.

Considering this is the somethingth time the whole super argument popped up, I doubt that.
Copy-paste from the LAST time someone used this argument on this exact topic:

Fans don't really know exactly what they want, and many of them want contradictory things. I'll take a few examples of things a large, vocal portion of our fanbase desperately wants:

1. Homing attack and light speed dash as Sonic, always.
2. Shadow the Hedgehog as a default playable character.
3. Savestates.
4. More linear stages.
5. Super/Hyper forms for everybody.

I'd personally say that all of these things would make a WORSE game by their addition. If we listened to our fanbase we'd have a game with features for everybody that's fun for nobody. Just look at the official SEGA Sonic games for a perfect example of this. By trying to appeal to everybody, they're making games that appeal to almost nobody.

We don't listen to our fanbase's cries all the time because frequently listening would create a worse game. Personally I feel that by adding super forms for Tails and Knuckles in single player, we would be creating a worse overall experience.

To directly respond to Red's idea, I'm not reaaallllly sure about the idea of limiting secret levels to require reaching the achievement as each character you want to play them as. It could lead to a lot of repetition for a lack of relative gain. My gut feeling is that it would be grindy for the sake of grindy, aaaand I doubt that fits with the game's ethos.
Yeah, Red's idea is a bad idea. Even if I wanted to reward players for that, it should be a reward related to the gameplay involved, and therefore be NiGHTS mode, not normal stages.

You need to give the player some incentive, and right now this doesn't exist for Tails or Knuckles.
This line, right here, is your fundamental disagreement. I don't think players need an incentive to do something they enjoy. If you enjoy the special stages enough to replay them three times, great! Have fun! If you don't enjoy the special stages much, don't! We're not going to encourage you to grind for some reward.

As far as I'm concerned, players will do the things that they enjoy in the game regardless of whether or not the game rewards them for doing so. Players who enjoy exploration will hunt for emblems not because of the potential rewards the game can provide but because they actually enjoy exploration. I went out of my way to actually get a perfect bonus on every level in the game in 2.1, collecting every ring in the game. Does the game reward me for this? Not at all. Did I do it anyways because I enjoyed the process? Absolutely.

Anyhow, as stated by multiple people, we've hit the circular logic threshold and it's time for this thread to die. In summary:

No, we're not keeping Super Tails or Super Knuckles in any form in vanilla. There are a lot of reasons for this, but the primary one is that they detract from character diversity. There are no plans to change this policy. If you want to go super as a character other than Sonic, you're going to need to mod the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back