Multiplayer Stage: Race Alley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, well, Circuit maps in general were rid of once 2.1 came along. You can still make maps for Circuit mode, though, but don't think on submitting it to a future (?) OLDC, possibly let alone any MP stage at this point

I'm actually curious too as well, why was the race maps removed? They were a great idea and in my opinion was a nice change from always racing in the co-op levels.

Well, off the top of my head, there was this whole fuss about character balance in Circuit mode a while back before 2.1's release. Mainly that Sonic is clearly the best character to use in the gametype, and that Tails and Knuckles don't stand much of a chance even with their abilities. Fixing this particular issue in the levels themselves isn't an easy thing to do either. ...so in the end the devs decided not to bother including the Circuit stages in 2.1, so that perhaps some Lua mod can be used to fix balance issues somehow. Or something similar, I dunno.

Only real way to do it is to make the stage have a variety of paths such that tails and knuckles can navigate the obstacles better. At that point your barely racing alongside each other. Uless the map is incredibly clever with its design its likely to not be much fun at all.

Only real way to do it is to make the stage have a variety of paths such that tails and knuckles can navigate the obstacles better. At that point your barely racing alongside each other. Uless the map is incredibly clever with its design its likely to not be much fun at all.

Even when you were racing along the same path, you didn't really interact with the other players in any way. So it was essentially a time-attack for each player, which of course made any latency more noticeable than it would have been in every level. (my only memories of playing circuit online were of a slightly interactive slideshow of various relatively boring levels)

Many people tried to make a good circuit level (myself included) but I don't remember anything (except maybe Race Alley) ever making any kind of impression. I do think the circuit gametype lends itself a little more to NiGHTS mode. Character balance is moot point there, and players actually can interact with one another in small ways.

Just slow down Sonic's thok. Seriously, instant acceleration is enough as it is, and everyone can use spin-dash to cross large gaps anyway.

In a speed-run perspective, Sonic is ultimately the easiest character to learn; his jump-dash is instant, stable, always the same. It's not just a matter of his speed, but rather his ability is very easy to use. Tails and Knuckles require a bit of irking to make the most of them. I know many Sonic players who have a hard time trying to play as Tails or Knuckles, mostly because I know the character far more than them. Kitoko is kind of right, though, he is pretty damn fast.

I think in the same way that Kitoko and Blaze does.

Sonic already was enough fast in 2.0, and now with the instant acceleration and that longest high-speed thok he becomes so unfair. Slowest thok will make the things more balanced for the other characters.

Oh boy, here we go again...

Nerfing thok alone isn't going to fix all the balance problems with the characters. For instance, the "thrustfactor" stat kind of ruins any attempt at balancing the accelerations of the characters, and just allows Sonic to accelerate to top speed quickly while Tails and Knux lag behind.

Last edited:
I still think clever level design > Messing with character balance.

Sonic is the fastest, that isn't going to change, the only way to keep knuckles and tails in the running is to give them alternate routes as short cuts.

Well, the Heavens Pass circuit map was a map that Tails could beat Sonic players on, at least when that Tails player knew how to strafe fly.

But strafeflying was removed for the most part, so I'm not sure if that would still apply.

I've seen some pretty amazing people using the flight mechanic in weird and amazing ways. Don't doubt a player who knows how to handle a character well.

Maybe to go with Arkman's idea circuit maps could be structured more like a triathlon in a way where each character excels best at one section of the map. Sonic isn't the best at precise platforming like jumping onto narrow bars when tails and knuckles just have to use their abilities to elevate over such hurdles.

Though if the circuit maps were to be converted into some sort of a triathlon, the map would most likely have to be one lap.

The Race levels were Fun to be honest, Instead of removing them why don't you just Reduce Sonic's thok speed (Sorry for Requesting this again) .

Or if you're not going to restore them, are we allowed to convert them to work for 2.1.X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back