• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Wrath of Cortex (scr_cbtwoc.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tycoon

Well, I got a bit bored with Planetary Doom, so I decided to start making a replica of Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex for SRB2. So far, Arctic Antics is done, and Bamboozled is coming soon.
Screenshots:

http://www.imagehuge.com/images/roge86d4kxr7llloqv5k.png
Liquid Shield replaces Aku Aku boxes
http://www.imagehuge.com/images/50c6pq8nhbalt60eecmc.png
Nitros are replaced by Spikeballs
http://www.imagehuge.com/images/chrrxaxv76ok6jlt4j2.png
TNTs are replaced by Robotnik Monitors
http://www.imagehuge.com/images/784ayylnhjqyli7x7h.png
Third Aku Aku box becomes an Invincibility Monitor
http://www.imagehuge.com/images/dmfzjhadf2ms60ewe80i.png
The Bonus Platform (doesn't work yet (nor does Danger Course))

Alpha 1 Download:
http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=6c5c597abe12c95b3839d3e300cf6cab

Alpha 1 is 111KB.

NOTE: Flying levels will not be made. For convenience :)

ಠ_ಠ

...You can't be serious. You just went from bad, to worse. Work on some level design instead of crapping out whatever, kay?

I have to admit, Kuja is right.
Also, if you're going to say something is something else (i.e., you said that the blue shield was the Aku Aku), actually replace it. For instance, replace the blue shield montitor sprite with an Aku Aku sprite. Same for the actual shield.
Most of us don't have the imagination anymore to "fill in the blanks".
Also, if you're going to do that "surround the 1-up montitor with eggy montitors" thing, then space out them out a bit more than you did.

Kuja said:
ಠ_ಠ

...You can't be serious. You just went from bad, to worse. Work on some level design instead of crapping out whatever, kay?

I don't take any credit for level design. It was all done by Traveller's Tales.

@Rubik: OK, I'll get an Aku Aku sprite and shove it in. Perhaps some Wumpa fruit also?

Tycoon, there are reasons why levels in SRB2 are only in SRB2.

Doom Levels are too small and cramped for SRB2, and you can't move around in them. Levels from Mario 64 are small, and too hard to stay balanced on. SRB2 levels are for SRB2 because of the ease to move around fast and quickly, and the multiple paths and sense of platforming.
If you are familiar with the term "Glaber Syndrome," you'll understand that porting a level from one game to another has a low chance to be executed properly.

On top of what Karuno just said, ask yourself this before making anything; would people REALLY have fun playing this? If so, continue what you plan to do. If not, get rid of the idea, or make it fun.

Now, is recreating a flat, straight line stage that would take Sonic 20 seconds to finish your idea of fun? He is no bandicoot, you know. :P

Kuja said:
On top of what Karuno just said, ask yourself this before making anything; would people REALLY have fun playing this? If so, continue what you plan to do. If not, get rid of the idea, or make it fun.

Now, is recreating a flat, straight line stage that would take Sonic 20 seconds to finish your idea of fun? He is no bandicoot, you know. :P
Then lets make a crash bandicoot wad! *shot*
Well, at least we get to play the levels without 1 minute loading times...
Besides that, you should at least have added make-shift slopes (making stairs with little hight difference between the sectors.

Hmm, I believe certain "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" levels have parts that would work somewhat well in SRB2... Just a thought.

Yeah, just pick one of the most dissapointing Crash Bandicoot games in the series.

Not that Crash Bandicoot even works in SRB2.

Ice said:
Hmm, I believe certain "Spyro: Year of the Dragon" levels have parts that would work somewhat well in SRB2... Just a thought.

Oh yeah, levels with big glides that are impossible to do with Sonic are great for srb2! [/sarcasm]

Really, Crash Bandicoot? I KNOW you can do better than that.

Ice said:
Hmm, I believe certain "Spyro: A New's Beggining" levels have parts that would work somewhat well in SRB2... Just a thought.
Fixed(I think so...)
I'll tell you Crash's things and Sonic's things
Crash:
  • He is slow.
  • The "Crash Spin" is his principal attack.
  • He can do a floor-slide-kick.
  • He can Double-Jump.
  • His enemy is cortex
SRB2 Sonic:
  • He is fast.
  • The "Speed Thok" is his principal attack.
  • He can spin dash.
  • He can spin on the floor if you are running.
  • His enemy is Dr. Eggman.
Huge difference,Huh?Sonic could pass these levels 30 - 50 Seconds and Crash 1 - 5 Minutes...Crash Nitro Cart does fits.

astar said:
Oh yeah, levels with big glides that are impossible to do with Sonic are great for srb2! [/sarcasm]

Usually, in the game (if you have it) a lot of the glides are just enough to spin-thok past. Also, who would be dumb enough to put a glide part so huge that sonic can't pass? It would be common sense to shorten the jumps. Also, I said certain parts and not certain levels.....HMPH!

I'll Begin said:
Yeah, just pick one of the most dissapointing Crash Bandicoot games in the series.

Actually, I really liked Wrath of Cortex. One of the two times that Traveller's Tales went right.

Tycoon said:
I'll Begin said:

Actually, I really liked Wrath of Cortex. One of the two times that Traveller's Tales went right.

I'll Begin said:

Seriously. Not the greatest Idea. THe only way this would work if you gave every character forced double Jump, slow down spin or turn it in a melee attack, slowed every one down by a lot. And maybe some other stuff that I haven't thought of.

Maybe Crash Team Racing would work for a circuit mod but the 1p levels are made for Crash's character

Also, for any Universal Studio's game mod, I would just say Spyro 1. Too bad the levels would be too short.

Chao Freak 1 said:
Also, for any Universal Studio's game mod, I would just say Spyro 1. Too bad the levels would be too short.

Level's Short? Spyro 1? Non-existent. I have the game, the levels are medium with puzzles that make the game longer.

Well the first 3 homeworlds anyway. If there was a way to force the player to collect everything in the level, than that would be fun. The levels just seem short to me because I beat the artisan homeworld to gnasty's loot without a guide.

Also, was it just insomniac games? I thought Universal was in there somewhere. I'll have to watch the credits again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back