A possible solution to Thokfests

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAD master

You guys know what Thokfests are, right? It makes races based on mouse speed, hand steadiness, and internet speed. Not good variables for a race. It also makes them terribly boring and, eh, not fun.

Well, why not add a delay to Thoks? Like, maybe one and a half seconds between each Thok, instead of one jump. Count one and a half seconds. See how slow that is? This will force the players to use their Thoks at the best moments during the race instead of Thokking every time they jump. It would make the race more about cutting corners and running and jumping with skill, and will make the Speed Thok more of an auxiliary skill that Sonic can use every now and then.

I know what you're thinking: This would probably cause problems in Singleplayer mode. Yeah, well, make it not apply in Singleplayer mode. Maybe it can be just for race.

This would probably cause problems in Singleplayer mode. Yeah, well, make it not apply in Singleplayer mode. Maybe it can be just for race.
Consistency is a virtue.

Eg, no.

No, we're saying excessive thokking is a part of race in SRB2, and honestly the mode wouldn't be very interesting without it. Thankfully the strafe acceleration bug is fixed in SRB2ME, so if you'd like to try a race without the thokfest, just forceskin on and use Knuckles.

Basicly, if you strafe and press forward at the same time, you accelerate faster than just pressing forward. This has been fixed in SRB2ME.

While I myself have been fighting for the potential of Circuit, I have discussed this quite a bit with people who are familiar with how the system works, and I have to admit that it all boils down to either:

Sonic - Carefully Timed Thokking
Tails - Carefully Placed Spinflight
Knuckles - Uhhhh

The reason for this is that circuit is little more than time-attack for multiple players. You will play a race just like you would time-attack which means that the same rules apply. You can try to make it fair for all characters, but its still going to boil down to the most effective time-attack strategy.

It was said, I believe, that to fix this, circuit as it stands would need to be changed so that players interact. In what manner this may happen, I have no clue, but suffice it to say that in the current circuit rotation, it must be kept in mind that it WILL be played like a time-attack stage, not a race.
Don't kill the thokfest, just make it necessary for the player to use some thought in doing it correctly... don't simply add an inane tails path, give the player specific reasons to spinfly instead of thokking. The cheap gimmicks you use to discourage either tactics will only make your level less fun. Instead use smart and intuitive gimmicks with these tactics in mind... at least until we are looking at a very different kind of game.

Here's an idea: that could apply only to characters with multithok abilities. Or you could toggle a value on and off that makes that apply in multithoks. That way, there could be a spectrum of thok-overpoweredness.

Or...We can make all characters use thok. I seem to think its useless to use Tails/Knuckles in those maps. Whats the point of being them if your going to lose no matter how hard you try?

It IS useless to use T/K.

And that's exactly how it should be, and that's exactly how it should stay.

Autosaver said:
Or...We can make all characters use thok. I seem to think its useless to use Tails/Knuckles in those maps. Whats the point of being them if your going to lose no matter how hard you try?
Hmm, what character should I use for race mode? Let's look at my choices:

Sonic: Fast, has thok.
Tails: Slow, has thok.
Knuckles: Medium, has thok.

WELL OBVIOUSLY TAILS IS THE MOST MOBILE

Or you can do what Blue Warrior did for Sigsev's first racing contest and up Knuckle's and Tail's speed to Sonic's. It made T/K comparable to Sonic for race. (Not to mention it was more balanced.)

ZeldaGamer00 said:
Or you can do what Blue Warrior did for Sigsev's first racing contest and up Knuckle's and Tail's speed to Sonic's. It made T/K comparable to Sonic for race. (Not to mention it was more balanced.)

Sonic: Fast, has thok which makes him faster.
Tails: Fast, has ability to gain height and cross long distances rapidly.
Knuckles: Fast, has ability to gain height and cross long distances at a very slow pace, and you can only gain height when the terrain is suitable, rather than all the time.

First off, Tails would be a buffed Knuckles.
Second off, there aren't any heights or long distances in race, making Tails' and Knuckles' abilties worthless.

Please, think before you suggest things.

Tails and Knuckles are good for the platform based map I forget the name of though.

Tails has the spin flight trick that is good for speed so he is good for races, Knuckles is best used for levels that have a lot of platforming involved, like your basic airborne garden map rip off.

Cue said:
Tails and Knuckles are good for the platform based map I forget the name of though.
Heaven Pass? That's a lie, they're just easier to use. The only time I use Tails or Knuckles there is if I have major c-lag or I'm off my game.

MattW_CFI said:

I disagree. I'm a force to be reckoned with as Knux.

fawfulfan said:
Not really. Fawfulfan, I dominate you in just about every match I found you in.

Anyways, it's a good idea the strafe glitch is fixed. Because of my handicap, I can't strafe, giving everyone else an advantage.

fawfulfan said:
MattW_CFI said:

Then everyone else is doing something wrong.

Well, assuming we're still talking about race. I think the characters are pretty balanced in Match. Though Sonic's still best in CTF, except in areas with pits, like Silver Cascade, but you can just switch classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back