Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Mystic

I found a new avatar that I like very much, but I can't get it because my file size must be less than 10KB. Is there any way I can get it on? Just in case you tell me to compress, I don't know how to do so (unless it is just smushing the pic to make it smaller).

The avatar I want is:

And in my experience, PNGs have excellent compression. Why switch to something with less quality?

I think he uploaded a bmp, but imageshack must have compressed it to png already. So just use that image.

I don't really like the non-integral pixel resize. I think you should either keep the original size or use an integral pixel resize (EG. 200% by 200% rather than random numbers like 184% and 129%).

I edited the picture in gimp to make it look a little better. It isn't that great, but its an improvement.

Mabye he isn't on the fourms now.

He doesn't have to use my edit, in fact he can edit it himself in gimp (or whatever image editing program he wants to use) and then he can put stuff that he wants in it rather than someone else trying to think what was meant to be there.

EDIT: I didn't like how I did that last one, so I made another one (yeah I know, what a loser am I)

yeah, when you save pics for the web, always use PNG as it is really small, but with really good quality. {end computing student geek mode}

There is no reason to use PNG over GIF if you don't need the features PNG offers, like alpha-transparency or true color (as opposed to 256 colors, which is far more than that image needs). Nine times out of ten, gif will cut it just fine for avatars, since the difference of compression at that resolution will be meaninglessly little compared to gif. And contrary to popular belief, there are no longer ANY patent issues involved in the use of gif images, so don't even try that one.

I could re-compress my own avatar as a png image and save a quarter of a kilobyte, but it would be completely pointless, as the gif compressed image is adequately small in file size.

Thanks Shuffle. I learned how to retouch photos in my highschool so this was not too hard to do.

Another advantage the PNG has over the GIF is that it supports 32-bit, 16-bit and 256 colors.

EDIT: I didn't see the part where tets said If you don't need true color.

That is good Torgo. Thank you for trying to help, but I was a bit busy and I didn't look at it...I made a less blurry avatar. Here is what it looks like:

I shall make it my avatar as soon as possible.

EDIT: NO!!! This is what it says. Can I fix this?
Unable to upload file

DEBUG MODE

Line : 251
File : usercp_avatar.php

Try saveing it as a gif or an indexed PNG, that will help your filesize be a little smaller. Or you can see if croping it will help a little.

Are you sure? I saved it as a gif and it is bellow the filesize. First try deleting the image in the profile. Then put the picture bellow and it should work.

Thank you Torgo. It worked. This guy is a "teaser" (though I doubt anyone really cares) for the new Dark Mystic. He will be a non-recolor of Super Sonic (still a Super Hedgehog though) with more colors than just black and dark blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back