[Open Assets] Bubsy the Fox

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumia1

Backseat Developer
It's a fox, and you put 'em in a shirt... BAM, it's Bubsy

One day I found some peculiar behavior when changing states while jumping, and so I decided to use this knowledge to try and recreate Bubsy as best I could within the SRB2 engine. Don't worry, he doesn't suffer from PAWful controls like he did in his 2D games, though his furst game is where most of the ideas for his abilities (and lack thereof) had come from.

"But Rumia," I hear you ask, "why is this not labeled as a character?" Because quite simply, I suck at spriting. If the judges deem it worthy to be changed as its own character, then I'll change the label to a character mod instead, but for now it's a script to give you the properties of Bubsy as Tails.

Fur those of you who haven't played Bubsy before (even though people say the game is terrible, I'd reccomend you play it simply for how many ways you can die), here are his abilities:

Bubsy can glide, and unlike Knuckles, he can glide from anywhere as long as he's in the air simply by pressing (or half-pressing) the jump button

Bubsy has only one hit point, however, Bubsy can get shields just like normal .

"They put falling damage in their 2D platform game?!"
Bubsy also takes fall damage and before you say, "hey, there's already a fall damage script posted here" I can assure you I made this this way before that, and it doesn't even work the same, it's based on Real Physics™ rather than a timer.

Bubsy is also hyper-alergic to water, meaning he drowns instantly if your head goes under at all, you can negate this with an elemental shield but considering a lot of places you'd find those are underwater... have fun with that.

And finally, Bubsy is compatible with match and can even turn super saiyan in vanilla, because Mario can go super, why can't Bubsy?

And here's a gif demonstrating all of Bubsy's abilities in one go.
079IXWq.gif

Attachments

• bubsythefox.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Alright, if that is intentional I guess there is no issues.
I'll place this in Lua since it seems closer to a Lua mod than a custom character.

I was hosting a netgame with Bubsy (and with lifepool, pretty bad idea though) and it was a lot of fun to me. It is challenging but doable on most parts. But there is a critical bug that renders DSZ2 unbeatable. You can enter the water with an elemental shield and walk in it but as soon as you try to go out of the water you will drown.
z80yZB0.gif

Otherwise, most stages are beatable, even the Metal Sonic race.
So I have made a list of stages that are not beatable as Bubsy:
Deep Sea Zone 1 & 2, Azure Temple Zone, Lake Zone, Echidnapolis Zone 1.
But except for these 6 stages every other zone is beatable if you have the patience to do so. I have enjoyed that to be honest.

Edit: Turns out that ERZ 1 IS beatable when taking the left part using the speedshoes behind the checkpoint where the Sonic crushers are placed. Also added Echidnapolis Zone 1 to the list because of that underwater section.

Last edited:
I was hosting a netgame with Bubsy (and with lifepool, pretty bad idea though) and it was a lot of fun to me. It is challenging but doable on most parts. But there is a critical bug that renders DSZ2 unbeatable. You can enter the water with an elemental shield and walk in it but as soon as you try to go out of the water you will drown.
*snip*

I have never seen anything like this before and I have no idea how to fix this myself, I would think that this may be a bug with srb2's code itself but I'll look into what I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back