Sonic 4: Episode 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several levels have been played in full and they do not play like a non-stop bounce fest.

You're overexaggerating it. It's not a NON-STOP bounce fest, it just seems a bit too excessive. I'll just see what others think before I consider buying this one (or at least try out the demo when it's available).

Last edited:
Or maybe the trailer just shows footage of action-packed scenes just like every single Sonic trailer out there. :/
Automation is "action-packed"? My definition of "action" includes actually having to do something. You're talking about "speed-packed".

Just for craps and laughs, I counted the number of boosters and springs that Sonic hit in the Oil Desert Zone Trailer:

In about a minute of footage.

EDIT: And now, to count the springs/boosters in the first gameplay trailer:

Last edited:
Several levels have been played in full and they do not play like a non-stop bounce fest.
Whenever Sonic isn't being thrown around by springs and boosters, he's using his Homing Attack in dull an unimaginative ways or is performing awkward and slow-paced platforming.
Dimps is terrible at designing levels.

One thing I seemed to notice in Sonic 4 is that the level layout has a whole lot of horizontal/vertical movement. The original Sonic games paid close attention to the shaping and curvature of the ground. It was sculpted to feel natural and create interest and variation even in seemingly mundane locations. Even Sandopolis Zone (a comparable level to the recent Sonic 4 Ep 2 trailer) paid close attention to this.

I feel like this is one aspect that has not been given very much attention in Sonic 4. There are many abrupt vertical walls and when there are slopes, hills, and little dimples in the land, they don't seem to generate nearly as much interest as they did in the classics. Even Splash Hill Zone, while having quite a few slopes and curves, has a huge amount of the level consisting of flat, horizontal land.

One thing I seemed to notice in Sonic 4 is that the level layout has a whole lot of horizontal/vertical movement. The original Sonic games paid close attention to the shaping and curvature of the ground. It was sculpted to feel natural and create interest and variation even in seemingly mundane locations. Even Sandopolis Zone (a comparable level to the recent Sonic 4 Ep 2 trailer) paid close attention to this.

I feel like this is one aspect that has not been given very much attention in Sonic 4. There are many abrupt vertical walls and when there are slopes, hills, and little dimples in the land, they don't seem to generate nearly as much interest as they did in the classics. Even Splash Hill Zone, while having quite a few slopes and curves, has a huge amount of the level consisting of flat, horizontal land.
You know, that's actually a really good way to put it. Sonic Generations 3DS, another Dimps title, has its share of decent level design here and there (not much) but nothing close to what you've described.

Wow, that's embarrassing. SEGA needs a "_______ days without a content leak" sign at their office.

Sonic 4 was leaked (twice?), content for Generations was leaked during the PSN beta, the first Sonic Unleashed trailer was leaked before the game was announced, man...I'm almost convinced that they sort-of want to add more content to Retro's Sonic beta archive. I mean, fans had to steal Sonic 2 cartridges way back in the day, I suppose it's only fair if SEGA themselves provide the goods now!

It's probably an intentional doo-dad to get the reto community to provide some feedback before the final release.

That's another good point. Why bother with internal QA/focus testing when you can just give your most vocal (nevermind unsatisfiable) audience an opportunity instead?

It would be pretty depressing if that were true, but then again, it would be pretty depressing if this were an unintentional leak of a game in a series that has a history of leaks, too. It's just depressing all around! They're so afraid of what the fans will react with that they can't trust their own judgement, so they just put an ear to the rabid fanbase instead and pray they know what they're talking about.

(I don't think they do)

Last edited:
Why would they leak a quite old beta instead of their latest beta if they wanted to do it intentionally? And why would they REMOVE the leak hours after it happened?

If we're assuming that this is an intentional leak, than what makes you believe this is an old beta? What good is the word of the horse's mouth when this might all be an elabourate PR stunt?

Not every company can just get away with keeping the game out on Steam after an accidental release (see: Super Monday Night Combat), you know. There's, um, significant financial risk involved there. However, having the leak occur for a brief period of time accomplishes exactly what they wanted: A small, uncontrolled amount of test subjects, prone to documenting their experiences and meticulously tearing every corner of the game apart via online boards. Or, in the eyes of an exec of a faltering games studio: free QA.

Better hurry, you have about... probably ten minutes before Sega finds it.
SEGA doesn't care about the videos - they even said so on the official forums.
Also, it's still bad.
Far from bad, and a major improvement from the original Episode.
If we're assuming that this is an intentional leak, than what makes you believe this is an old beta? What good is the word of the horse's mouth when this might all be an elabourate PR stunt?
Missing textures, sounds, and other graphical errors?

Also, it's still bad.

Considering what you've called "good" thus far, I'll take this as "it's great".

Also if you guys post any images in here related to the leak, put them in spoiler tags or I will personally drive down there and slap you (or alternatively, remove the post).

I really don't want the entire game spoiled for me again, like E1 was; and I know others that feel the same way.

If you think those errors are limited to old betas, then let me tell you...

Welcome to ERZ1, REDWALL edition because someone changed and removed all the textures it used to use!

犬夜叉;724766 said:
Welcome to ERZ1, REDWALL edition because someone changed and removed all the textures it used to use!

Oh god, don't remind me of that. Worst few days ever. :P

SEGA doesn't care about the videos - they even said so on the official forums.
It's Youtube. Of course they'll take it down.
Far from bad, and a major improvement from the original Episode.
How so? I'm curious.

Also, I like how people are trying to avoid spoilers when pretty much everything in this game is a rehash of something else, anyway. What IS there to spoil? :V I mean, not that I would, but nobody would really be missing much, either way...

It's Youtube. Of course they'll take it down.
$5 saying they won't.
How so? I'm curious.
Episode I had a specific group of haters on SSMB. Several users a part of that group have played the BETA. They've already said that it improves upon the original and Episode II can be classified as a passable Dimps game. One user even used the phrase "Ep 1 + Creativity + Good Physics" to describe it.

And no, not everything is a rehash. Sure there are nods to previous games, but this is far from what Episode I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back