Eliwood's "I Need Help" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliwood

I figured I'd just put this as "one big thread" or something so I could just in general ask things as I have questions without needing to make more than one thread.

I kind of want to add a specific "mini" ability to give to my character Ember, with the swimming ability, to give just a little bit longer breath-count than the other characters, without raising the default breath count. Like for example, if the "vanilla" breath count they could go before they drowned was 15 seconds (I don't know what the default for that is) I would want to make my character have a slightly longer breath count than the others, such as 20, or 25 seconds instead of 15. The reason I would want to implement this is because if her main ability is swimming, I would only imagine that she would be able to hold her breath longer than the others.

But to make a long story short, is there a way I can increase (or change) only one character's breath count without changing everyone else's? And how would I do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only ways I can think of to interact with the player's breathing time(outside of just exiting the water) are air bubbles, the elemental shield, and the breath time variable that affects every character.

While I don't see anything preventing you from using a custom spin item to spawn air bubbles for Ember(assuming making the bubbles themselves the spin item doesn't work for whatever reason), this probably isn't what you had in mind. I don't believe there is an elegant way to just extend the amount of time a single character can hold their breath underwater, sorry.

Ah... that's kind of a shame then.

Do you know if there is any type of way to Soc in changes to a character's stats if they are underwater? as opposed to above water?

Or should I just give up trying to consider over-the-top custom "abilities" to give to my character due to the limitations of the srb2 engine?

Ah... that's kind of a shame then.

Do you know if there is any type of way to Soc in changes to a character's stats if they are underwater? as opposed to above water?

Or should I just give up trying to consider over-the-top custom "abilities" to give to my character due to the limitations of the srb2 engine?
A way to change the character's stats? No, but it is possible to detect if something is underwater using an object with MF_Flame(disappears in water) as a dead man's switch(something happens when the object disappears, because it is preventing a different object from doing something until it does, usually using A_RemoteAction). However, the only skin-specific ways of spawning an item that could make that check are spin item and thok item, so it wouldn't be practical to make it a passive ability.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up for me! So basically the only way I can add in a custom ability is if I either make something a "spinitem" or a "thokitem". Thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back