Level Design Contest - January Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
That does it. I'm gonna be the first to vote:

MAP01, Sylvan Island: N/A
My best map until I release Floodwater Forest. I do think that it is rather... confined, though.

MAP02, Sea Shell Zone: 6/10
I love the wave effect! You stole my idea!

MAP03, Astral Fortress Zone: 5/10
An interesting level, but do you think that an asteroid floating in the middle of space is gonna have GFZ textures?

MAP04, Towers Zone: 7/10
I liked this one. It was a bit... uh, plain though...

MAP05, Mirror Room Zone: 3/10
It was flat. No mirror room music, although I won't dip points for that 'cause a441 don't like music. Other than that, it wasn't big and the textures that it did have didn't tile well. A nice first map, but it could be better.

MAP06, Flooded Valley Zone: 7/10
I liked this one. But, there were some bugs like the colormap in the sky and the "Moses" effect with the wall of water.

MAP07, Barlin Base Zone: 6/10
I liked the GFX in this one, but it was a bit small and cramped. I loved the secret! Hoo hoo!

MAP08, The Dunes: 9/10
Loved this one. But, why were there Mario shells in the middle of the desert?

MAP09, Distorted Reality Zone: 5/10
Interesting concept, but I do think that it was a bit hard to get around in.

MAP10, MI II: 6/10
This was better than MI 1. 'Nuff said.

MAP11, Forsaken Outpost Zone: 5/10
Liked it, but less "forsaken", more "outpost" next time. There was a stone building in one corner, but other than that, it was blank.

MAP12, Abandoned Paradise Zone: 4/10
Nice concept, but it... uh, let me say this: Wood zone sky doesn't fit with CEZ textures.

MAP13, River Side Zone: 9/10
I liked it! Alot! Although, the waterfall didn't have real water, and the tree textures didn't match.

The tree textures werent made to match. I didn't make the level, but it looked like some one was trying to make different kinds of trees.

Hotdog, you will eventually become accustomed to the fact that NONE of my maps are realistic. It's more of a martian planet than it is an asteroid. (hence the screwed-up tree).

MAP01, Sylvan Island: 4/10
This map was just too bland for my tastes. The boat was a cool idea, though.

MAP02, Sea Shell: 7/10
The wave effect is really awesome, and the level layout is original and interesting, but the lighthouse area is waaay too cramped.

MAP03, Astral Fortress: N/A
Well, what can I say? I'm quite proud of the way it turned out. I added and removed a lot of things during it's creation (There used to be a pair of satellites floating in the sky). Before, it used nothing but THZ textures. It made my eyes bleed. Oh, and did I fail to mention that Astral Fortress is my first wad?

MAP04,Towers: 6/10
One of the best AGZ style maps I've seen. Some rail rings would have made the map much more fun, though. (For me, at least. =P)

MAP05, Mirror Room: 3/10
I hate to be harsh, but this is... sad... First of all, this level is the ugliest level I have ever seen. The layout is just as bad. There aren't enough rings. I don't know WHERE the auto rings are, but for a level this small, with so little rings, it's the equivalent of bathing in acid, while being beaten with a stiff cat. Oh, and the dead ends... There's nothing quite like being brutally raped by someone In such a small space, while he watches your pointless attemps to escape. I could easily make a better wad in less than 5 minutes. This wad just barely misses a 1, because of the fact that it makes a great tag level.

MAP06, Flooded Valley: 7/10
I like this map. Pretty interesting. The rail rings are godly here, but that really isn't a good thing when someone like FuriousFox is gunning you down. I actually like the moses effect. Am I the only one who can see that the water is SUPPOSED to be like that? Even if it isn't, I still like it.

MAP07, Barlin Base: 6/10
When JTE said his next map would be even smaller and more controversial, I really didn't think he meant it... This map is actually very cool, and It's a blast in match mode. And the secret area is just too much fun. Step up to the door and shoot someone. The door closes back up. The guy wonders where the ring came from. Continue until he notices. He struggles trying to figure out how to get in, while your armed to the teeth with invincible and armageddon sheilds. By the time he figures out how the door works, he doesn't get in fast enough, and the door crushes him. Classic.

MAP08, The Dunes: 4/10
This is by far the first desert level I have ever seen. Even though the layout is somewhat bland, It's fun to play god, sniping people left and right, but I'm sure that everyone at the receiving end of that ring would be pretty pissed, especially since there really aren't many places you can hide. It's also impossible to reach the floating platform without getting knocked off, so it's pretty pointless.

MAP09, Distorted Reality: 5/10
It's a really nice concept, but the level just seems so uninteresting. I can't figure out why, though...

MAP10, MI II: 8/10
The very second you read the title, and the sound of turrets assault your ears, you instantly think "What? Again...?" But after wandering around a bit, it's certanly obvious that this is a big improvement over the previous MI. The best part about this map is the button room. I remember the first time I went there...

Mimiru: Weee! Buttons! *Pushes teh buttons*
Ritz: Uh, what do those buttons do?
Mimiru: Who cares?

Minutes later, everyone is writhing in agony in a world of sludge, while you laugh in their faces, dancing around with your chemical shield. I wanna see more maps like this. Oh, and even though there is one turret, it barely affects the gameplay at all.

MAP11, Forsaken Outpost: 6/10
One of the coolest CEZ maps I've ever seen. Snipers galore as well. That can be either a good or bad thing, depending on who you're playing against.

MAP12, Abandoned Paradise: 4/10
Bland. This map totally rips off of Illustrion in terms of style (The sky and music, at least), but fails with ugly textures and poor layout.

MAP13, River Side: 9/10
This map is just... Sexillent. Flying through the trees Crouching Tiger style, Hiding behind tree trunks, waiting for an unwary player to pass by, Weaving between the trees, avoiding the homing rings... On top of that, the variety of trees and the tranquil river is... How should I say this... prettyful. Wait, did I just say that out loud?! *mauled by masculine football players*

There, I'm done. *goes back to being lazy*

Alrighty, because it appears a441 has disappeared without resolving this, I will set a deadline again. The deadline for voting is now February 15th, at 0:00 GMT. (February 14th, 7 PM EST)

After that point, no matter how few votes there are, it will be tallied. Please vote.

There will not be a contest for the month of February, but I do have something planned for March, so keep a look out for it. If you have an entry for February, it will be fine as an entry for March, so don't worry if you already have work done.

MAP01, Sylvan Island: 7/10 - I actually liked this level. It was fairly small but it had almost perfect placement of rings so you never have to fear looking for more. Also, the boat was a good idea and the concept was nice. It would've done better if maybe there were some more little secret areas, or more then just a boat and a peice of land to play on.
MAP02, Sea Shell Zone: 8/10 - I had alot of fun on this level, playing one-on-one tag. It offered curret, which was really fun when your trying to gun someone down. Also, a nice veriety of not-really-secret-but-still-kinda-cool areas.
MAP03, Astral Fortress Zone: 8/10 - I thought this level had a great concept and was alot of fun to play on. The tree, even though cuase some framerate problems, was still cool to look at. Also, the big area surprisngly didn't tamper with gameplay for me.
MAP04, Towers Zone: 7/10 - I didn't play this level too much, but it was decent. It didn't offer anything new and interesting or even surprising. If it were more interesting, I'd give it a higher score.
MAP05, Mirror Room Zone: 4/10 - Meh...it wasn't bad but..w.ell, it was bad...but it didn't suck completely. I mean, sure, the dead-ends and small quarters bring people down, but it was still fun and fast paced. Sadly, the music just didn't fit with the area at all...I mean, such an upbeat sound to such a dark and gloomy area? Well, still enough to make me happy...not really...
MAP06, Flooded Valley Zone: 8/10 - I LOVED this level! It's a great level to snipe about and the Moses effect was pretty cool. Some people thought it was a mess-up...? Well anyways, The level was fun, a little hard to get around, but non-the-less fun.
MAP07, Barlin Base Zone: 6/10 - This level was alot of fun...and the secret area was cool...also the fact that is was such a confined space was actually a good idea, as it made it very fast-paced. Sadly, there are downsides to this. 1. The glitchy start in the suppsoedly unaccesible tank was annoying to figure out how to get out, and it was abit difficult to find enough rings as people are popping the boxes left and right. his level could've been alot better if only it were just a tiny bit bigger...
MAP08, The Dunes: 8/10 - I liked this level alot, it was big and had alot of little tidbits to it. The platform was hard to access, but it didn't ruin gameplay in the least. Not much else to say about this except for the nice sniping from the top of the castle.
MAP09, Distorted Reality Zone: 9/10 - I LOVED this level! I thought the concept was original and fascinating. It did take me abit to figure out that the world was upside down...but the secrets were pretty cool but the pits did cuase some problems. Especially if you lag abit, where the jump button doesn't jump as quickly as you want it to be....
MAP10, MI II: 7/10 - It was nice, decent...the button secret was really fun. Watching everyone die from teh railing as you laugh! Hah! good times...good times...The turrent was pretty fun this time around. It added a little addition to the anarchy already going on. It was fun, but not great, as it was abit difficult to navigate.
MAP11, Forsaken Outpost Zone: 5/10 - It was simple...a little castle thingy in the corener, a little tunnel, a little pool...and some rocks...that's it...it wasn't very interesting...it was abit fun to play though....that's about it...
MAP12, Abandoned Paradise Zone: 3/10 - Meh...horrible...not THAT BAD but still pretty bad. It left alot to be desired. The textures didn't match and there's some yellow stairs that seem completely out of place. What was that? Fungus? Anyways, wasn't that fun to play...area seemed small, even though it would usually be a perfect size for a mayhem match. Maybe it was the cliff? Big yellow thing? Anyways, it left to be desired. Not much else.,
MAP13, River Side Zone: 8/10 - It was a great level, fun to play, had a nice originallity (The different kinds of trees, that was nice) and it had great ring placement...sadly it wasn't very original...and running on the trees is fun but...well, it didn't help in the way of killing people. Still a great level though.

And that's it, judging is in a half-hour and only 3 reviews? That's pretty sad...well, let the judging begin!

Ok, finished with my ratings...finally...

MAP01, Sylvan Island: 5/10
Nice Boat. The rest of the level was… ok, could have used more in it.

MAP02, Sea Shell: 7/10
I like the effect with the water… the level was pretty good altogether.

MAP03, Astral Fortress: 6/10
I liked this map pretty good, but… it could have gone w/ less lag, I know Ritz fixed this in another version so I added a point. It could have been better had it been a little bit more varied or less symetrical

MAP04,Towers: 6/10
Nice texture placement and structure placement (and or) construction! Awsome!

MAP05, Mirror Room: 5/10
Er… Yeah… I’ve never seen a blue mirror before, you could have at least used glasstex…(side texture) Besides, the whole level was a little cramped…but…the feeling of someone chasing you through that is scary for some reason, +1 for that.

MAP06, Flooded Valley: N/A
Well… This is my map… not to mention my FIRST map.. I was a little skeptical about what people would think. The moses effect I had there was not intentional, yet it worked out and I decided to go along w/ it as an actual part of the level. The reason I had so many glitches was because I WAS going to fix them but… I realized it was the deadline then, and I sent it in. But beware! My next map will be huge.

MAP07, Barlin Base: 5/10
Hmmm… A little bit small, don’t you think?
Anyways, the rest of the map was pretty good… I liked the secret areas and texture placement but…it was just too small!

MAP08, The Dunes: 5/10
This was a pretty cool level, first desert level I’ve seen.

MAP09, Distorted Reality: 6/10
I like the concept of the level… it could have done w/o the thok barrier glitch though.
I liked those 2 secrets, the one w/ the vocano and the pits. So, I gave you an extra point for that.

MAP10, MI II: 6/10
This was AWSOME except for 1 thing, the spring bug, for that bug, you lose a point. The rest of the level was pretty good though, I liked the toxic-tech-beach theme.

MAP11, Forsaken Outpost: 7/10
Nice map, I liked the castle theme… the theme REALLY goes together..It’s cool… Besides that, I noticed the gargoyles didn’t move…how is that?

MAP12, Abandoned Paradise: 5/10
This map seems to rip off JTE’s map from the earlier December contest… Besides that, it’s pretty cool… I liked the underground tunnels…By the way, -1 point for ripping off…er.. If you didn’t mean too, change that to a 6.

MAP13, River Side: 7/10
Nice scenery! You did a great job! Nice fountian(sp?) too…

I told you guys my next contest map would be even smaller and more controversial. :D My Barlin Base Zone rox! I just wish I could find that darn start that puts you underwater... It's supposed to go on the land above it, most likely. This map was a real pain because of all the vertical movement rather then having a large horizontal map... That's really what makes my match stuff cool, I guess, the thus-far-unique up and down movement. I think I have more then 20 FOFs in that tiny space... Glad you could enjoy the action.

Little more sectet areas???!?!?!?
By my count, there are about 4 secret areas! You need to look more! Crack it open in WA or DB!
[/outburst]

Sorry...

There was 4? I only found 2, the little cave thingy underwater and the hollow tree. Anyways, no reason to get mad over...

Alright, since I was so impatient, I calculated the results...

Sylvan Island – 4,7,5
~__

Sea Shell – 6,7,8,7

Astral Fortress – 5,8,6
~__

Towers – 7,6,7,6

Mirror Room – 3,3,4,5

Flooded Valley – 7,7,8,
~__

Barlin Base – 6,6,6,5

The Dunes – 9,4,8,5

Distorted Reality – 5,5,9,6

MI II – 6,8,7,6

Forsaken Outpost – 5,6,5,7

Abandoned Paradise – 4,4,3,5

River Side – 9,9,8,7

Teh voting man (me) cometh! :D

~Sylvan island~
The number of rings was good. I liked the boat. I also like the secrets. The problem however, some of the walls on the level cause crash on contact. Not exactly sure, but it may have to do with the thok barrier being so close. But, the walls are easily avoidable.
But, the walls would've given it an 8.
6/10

~Sea Shell zone~
I liked the waves thing, but the pushing-charecter-upwards thing was a liability. Once hit, the player is helpless untill he touches the floor of the water. Untill then, there's a 80% chance of being hit again, and being killed.
It's like that space level that's normally in SRB2. *Shiver*
7/10

~Astral Fortress~
Very nice level. Nice and big, enough rings. I liked that background. And the tree was very... Futurey. And no low gravity! Shweet!
8/10

~Towers~
Don't have much to say about it. The shallow water was something slightly diffrent though.
7/10

~Mirror Room~
Not much of a mirror room. But, with almost no hiding spots, it was a fun Tag level.
7/10

~Flooded Valley~
Was the moses effect on purpose?
Well, the effect was good on keeping the Sonic players looking for the spring back up from drowning.
7/10

~Barlin Base~
Pretty decent level. The small size was good for tag games with small amounts of people, but I'd imagine it woulden't be good for large amounts. I liked the timed secret with the fast-moving wall.
But, could've used more rings.
6/10

~The Dunes~
Cool level. It seemed so... Tropical. I liked the castles.
But... Buzzing koopa shells?
8/10

~Distorted Reality~
All map makers have to wanna make something like this sometime.
And, of course, coulden't do without the HOM effect.
Y'know that makes it hard to see messages?
I liked the upside-down ice lake. The foggyness make it perfect for hiding.
7/10

~MI II~
The level showed that the creator knew his way around WadAuthor/DoomBuilder/Whatever. But, the rising slime that bloc ked out an entire area... The turrets... Lasers... Buttons... Those are all 1P-level elements. They don't do good with Match levels.
5/10

~Forsaken Outpost~
Nice level. 'Twas just the a good size, good amount of rings... I would've never guessed that outpost was a no-tag zone! But, the torches are not no-tag zones. Just FYI.
7/10

~Abaondoned Paradise~
The underwater tunnel was kinda nice. Don't have much else to say.
7/10

~River Side~
It looked nice, the level was nice and big. I liked the fountain.
What can I say? It was nice and playable, and it was Eye-candy. I think it was my favorite.
9/10

Good batch of levels this month, eh? :D

~Barlin Base~
Pretty decent level. The small size was good for tag games with small amounts of people, but I'd imagine it woulden't be good for large amounts. I liked the timed secret with the fast-moving wall.
But, could've used more rings.
6/10

Onos, another 6! As if having 6665 wasn't enough already, you had to go and make it 66656!
I wish I had worked on it for more then a day, but I got bored, so it just gathered dust the whole month... :roll:
Glad everyone (for the most part) enjoys the small size... That was my intent, to have a really fast playing netgame as a comparison with all the huge levels everyone else has been making. But the fast-moving wall wasn't a "timed" secret, it's just that the other players bouncing around make it seem that way. :roll: I honestly never even tested it in a netgame.

Frankly, I'm surprised, not really disappointed, about how Distorted Reality came out so far. (Oh, my. Grammatical error.) I put a good amount of effort into it... But, oh, well. As the saying goes:

If at first you don't suceed, die, and try again.

In the 'lympics, 6 is the best!
I don't think that my level had the error that you said, SRB2-Playah. At least, not in the version that came with a441's pack. At least, it never crashed on my computer.
In the future, how would I make the walls so that they *don't* crash?

Actually, I forgot to mention that the walls that crash are the edges of the level in the water, at the edges. Sorry.
But all I know is that sometimes, when I touch one of those walls, I get segment violated... Actually, that's not ALL I know... I know math, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back