• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Stardust Speedway Demo 2!

Do you like it so far? (If you vote, please leave a post!)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkman90

Long time no see everyone. I just finished the 2nd part of the Stardust Speedway race map I have been working on for a long time, the Bad Future part. For anyone familiar with Sonic CD, there are 4 parts to every level, the Present, Bad Future, Good Future and of course, the Past. Now that I finished the bad future section, I think it is about time for a release! Here are some screenies.

DOWNLOAD HERE!! (3.54 MBs)

I HIGHLY ADVISE YOU USE OPENGL MODE, THIS MAP LOOKS HORRIBLE IN SOFTWARE MODE!! (however, the lighting works much better)

A Few Bugs I know about:

The music changes back to Present Music in the Bad Future Area when you die. I know this already, it is not something I can fix, it is an SRB2 thing.

The Pool of Goo's colormap in the Bad Future section goes across the whole sector, not just the pool. I know, I did that on purpose to make it look radioactiveish.

There are holes in the ceiling where the arrows are inside "buildings" I know this too, it was on purpose.

Oh nice... I'm going to be downloading this...

Good/present/bad future? Wow... I want to see how you implemented this...

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
Good/present/bad future? Wow... I want to see how you implemented this...

Yes, but so far, only Present and Bad Future are done. Next up, Good future. :)

A smart one you are. You used the US tracks for this, which fit in with the Metal Sonic race infinitely better than the E/J tracks. Unfortunately, you've got yourself some problems.

1. What's up with the slime? I've played through Sonic CD many times and I've never encountered any slime or water. Not only that, but this level suffers from Red Volcano Syndrome, where, if you fall into the slime, it is very hard to get back out again, because it's so deep. One of the slime pits even drained the rings I tried to collect again, so I could not escape. My suggestion is to either make the slime more shallow, add a spring at the far end, not just the near end, or both. Or perhaps take it out entirely and place in a more suitable hazard. For some reason, something electrical would seem suiting...

2. You lowered the volume on the Bad Future music. Why did you do this? It's way too quiet for my liking. At least make it as loud as the Present music.

3. Tight corridors and mazes don't really tend to work well in race maps, and neither do enemies, for that matter. Remember, a good race map is all about flow, while still providing challenging obstacles. I also wouldn't want to have to backtrack just because I missed a critical spring. A simple reduction in speed will do, while still keeping me on the same path, but I should never have to head backwards like that.

Just thought I'd give you pointers. It's an okay start, but it still needs some improvement.

FoxBlitzz said:
A smart one you are. You used the US tracks for this, which fit in with the Metal Sonic race infinitely better than the E/J tracks. Unfortunately, you've got yourself some problems.

1. What's up with the slime? I've played through Sonic CD many times and I've never encountered any slime or water. Not only that, but this level suffers from Red Volcano Syndrome, where, if you fall into the slime, it is very hard to get back out again, because it's so deep. One of the slime pits even drained the rings I tried to collect again, so I could not escape. My suggestion is to either make the slime more shallow, add a spring at the far end, not just the near end, or both. Or perhaps take it out entirely and place in a more suitable hazard. For some reason, something electrical would seem suiting...

2. You lowered the volume on the Bad Future music. Why did you do this? It's way too quiet for my liking. At least make it as loud as the Present music.

3. Tight corridors and mazes don't really tend to work well in race maps, and neither do enemies, for that matter. Remember, a good race map is all about flow, while still providing challenging obstacles. I also wouldn't want to have to backtrack just because I missed a critical spring. A simple reduction in speed will do, while still keeping me on the same path, but I should never have to head backwards like that.

Just thought I'd give you pointers. It's an okay start, but it still needs some improvement.

I am so glad you agree with me in term of the Music. This is one of the few levels I decided the English music was better than the Jap. ;) Now, time for some responces.

1. Yes, there is slime in my version of Stardust Speedway, and I have no intention of removing it. The way I see it, Stardust Speedway is supposed to be a technological area in the Sonic series, and since this is my version of Stardust Speedway, I would like to have some slime in it to make it more interesting. The section you are refering to is supposed to drain rings, because it is radioactive (as stated by the sign right before it). You can get out of the slime easily, just by getting back on one of the platforms, trust me, it works on all of them. I will debate changing it to electrical water, however, I doubt that will be happening, I like my radioactive sector. :P

2. Really? I had not noticed, I will fix it ASAP. Thanks for the heads up! :D

3. Good advice, I will probably keep the enemies at the beginning though, they serve as a nice punishment for those that fall off at that part. The Maze, that is a tough one... Part of me wants to keep it, but part of me agrees with you, especially with the damn camara. :x A speed reduction... I will keep that in mind...

Thanks again for all the advice! ^_^

Are you gonna include the past too? I hope ou include the music if you do because i never saw alot of Stardust Speedway in Sonic CD.

emerlgx said:
Are you gonna include the past too? I hope ou include the music if you do because i never saw alot of Stardust Speedway in Sonic CD.

Yup, it is gonna have Present, Bad Future, Good Future, and Past (in that order). ^_^

The part with the crushers is easier with analog control or strafing.

Will the past version have water or something?

Linkman90 said:
emerlgx said:

Yup, it is gonna have Present, Bad Future, Good Future, and Past (in that order). ^_^
Shouldn't past be before good future since you have to go there to get to the good future?

emerlgx said:
Linkman90 said:
emerlgx said:

Shouldn't past be before good future since you have to go there to get to the good future?

I was thinking of that, but since the Past is what makes every level so important, I thought it would be a good spot to end. Plus, you go from lots of technology and such, to a junglyish area.

And yes Chaos, the Past will have water. ;)

blarg. It won't let me download the file; absolutely nothing happens when I click "download file now". Please upload to somewhere else.

Ummmm...Sorry to bother you bout this but can you use sendspace because my computer got updated and now i can't download it from your link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back