How will you rate the Sonic games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thundder-senpai

Chuckle, there is Knuckles.
Yes, like that post of SRB2 levels. I'm talking about the Sonic games in general, I will not rate ALL of them, just the main and more important games of Sonic.
Let's start.

Sonic 1: Ok, between the trilogy, this is apparently the least memorable, is good, but the sequels did it better. The design for levels and things are good, the last boss is... too easy. Anyways, is a good game, is simple, but still fun to play, music is memorable. Spindash was needed those times tho.
7/10, Good.

Sonic 2: This is the favourite of too many people, I know why, the level design is beautiful, the physics are better, Tails is... Well, he can't fly, but is cool to play as another character, the bosses are harder here. Nothing else to say.
7.5/10, Good.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: YESSSSSSSS! This was the most beautiful game I ever played in my entire life! Sonic does have an ability, Tails can fly, you can even play with a new character! The bosses are a challenge now, the level design is gorgeous, and the fact that it continues instantly after Sonic 2 makes some continuity. I think it has no mistakes on it. I give Sonic 3 a...
10/10, Perfect, master race.

Sonic CD: Well, this is also one of my favourites. The design of everything is better, the music in USA and Japan is both beautiful (I like Japan's better), the abilitys are good, introducing for the first and only time the Super Peel-Out, and I would say is perfect, but the problem is that the Time Poles do nothing, if you dont use them, you can win the game properly anyways, is like a placeholder. Sonic CD is a great game, nothing to add.
9/10, Excellent.

Sonic Adventure: First Sonic game in full 3D, the first with full story, is somewhat for his time. But, the game is too simple, the 3D looks awful nowadays, it has too many glitches on it, and Big's levels are just bad. But in the bright side, the gameplay is fast and variated, the character developement on Tails is priceless, and the OST is actually excellent. I can't hate it, I loved it, BUT, we're doing it the objective way.
6.5/10, Decent.

Sonic Adventure 2: Ok, Is definitely not the best game, but is a great game. Sonic and Knuckles levels are fun to play, but Tails levels are complete bulls**t. The story is somewhat inteligent; OST is not as good like SA1's, but is nice to hear; all levels are different in both stories, but not the characters. I won't say is perfect, but is a clever game, a little overrated.
7.5/10, Good.

Sonic Heroes: Wow, this new gametype was not bad, the game here is a little childish, but the story is quite good, the levels are well designed and the OST gets stuck in your head for months. The gameplay was comfortable, the bosses will be HARD. In conclusion, Heroes was something different, something that Sonic needed.
8/10, Very Good.

Shadow the Hedgehog: What can I say? Gameplay? Good, OST? Good, Level design? Good, Story? Nope. Shadow repeating "damn" or "CRAWLING IN MY SKIN!!!!111!!" does not make it more mature. The rest is ok, like the bad/good actions mechanics. Meh game, 2 edgy 4 me.
6/10, Decent.

Sonic 2006: You know nothing about good games, best example here. Sonic 2006 is not perfect, it obviously has that finale and the bugs. Those things could be avoided, but the rest is excellent. The level design is marvelous, the gameplay is smart, the story is the best one in Sonic games, OST was catchy, The game is good, accept it.
8/10, Very Good.

Sonic Unleashed: Woah, I didn't expected a good game that is about Sonic becoming a werewolf, but they did it great! The Sonic levels are really fun to play, and Werehog's are decent. The OST is magic, the story is funny and it makes some sense, I liked it.
8.5/10, Very Good.

Sonic Colors: Well, the Wisps aren't bad addition to the gameplay, it was fun, but the story is FULL S**T! Anyways, OST is good and also designs.
6/10, Decent.

Sonic Generations: Is a touchng tribute to the franchise, and it has good levels, great design, good gameplay, but the story is a bit lame, also, is not the "GREATEST THING" ever happened to Sonic. I will give it a...
7.5/10, Good.

Sonic Lost World: No. JUST NO! Lame story, lame gameplay, lame designs, LAME EVERYTHING. I wouldn't play it again in my life!
3.5/10, Very Bad.
---

Well, tell me what do you think and also, you can rate too!

Out of 10

ALL Genesis: 8
CD: 6
First 3D games (sonic blast and R): 4
Heroes: 7
Adventure series: 5
Rush series: 6
Sonic 06: 3
Wii spin offs (Black knight and secret rings) : 4
Unleashed: 6
Newer 3D (Colours and lost worlds): 5
Boom: just no

Upcoming games

Sonic '17: 7
Mania: 8

OVERALL: 8.7/10

(I know i missed some and these results may vary based on your opinoin)

Mine are
Genesis trilogy:10
3D Blast (Genesis) 6
Never Played the Saturn ones
Adventure GAmes: 8
Advance Games: 9
Rush Games: 8
Never played '06
Never played the Storybook Series
Unleashed: 9
Colors: 10
Lost World (Wii U): 7
Lost World (3DS): 6
I actually had fun while playing Boom Co-Op since it was so glitchy, so I'll give it a 2
Boom 3DS: 7
Generations: 8
Mania: 10
Sonic 2017: 9

In spin-offs...

Sonic 3D: Well, is not bad, just boring and difficult.
5/10, Mediocre.
Sonic the Fighters: Heh, fun game, is sometimes hard.
7/10, Good.
Sonic R: Is... okay. Is fun, but glitchy and A M Y H A S A C A R. (?
6/10, Decent.
Sonic Schoolhouse: MARRy mE mASTER rACE!!!!!111!
11/10, yOUR mOTHER!.
Sonic Pocket Adventure: Cannot tell, I didn't played it.
0/10, Nothing.
Sonic Advance: Cool, nothing else to add.
7/10, Good.
Sonic Advance 2: Is better than first, better gameplay and is totally based on speed.
8.5/10, Very Good.
Sonic Advance 3: Is almost perfect, good job!
9/10, Excellent.
Sonic Battle: Fun, but still has some issues with Emerl.
7/10, Good.
Sonic Riders: Wow, a Sonic racing game that it has a reason for Sonic using a vehicle.
8/10, Very Good.
Sonic Riders- Zero Gravity: <3
9.5/10, Excellent.
Sonic Free Riders: Oh, you ruined it! F**k Kinect.
4/10, Bad.
Sonic Chronicles: Is actually interesting, it has fanservice for nostalgics, it has all characters, is a RPG, a bit boring tho.
7/10, Good.
Sonic 4- Episode I: Not that bad, but is lame.
5/10, Mediocre.
Sonic 4- Episode II: Sightly better, Advance 3 2.0 tho.
6/10, Decent.
Sonic Boom- Shattered Crystal: Is not bad as his brother, but is still Boom.
5.5/10, Mediocre.
Sonic Boom- Ryse of Lyric: Well... this image describes all:
end-of-evangelion-208210.jpg

2/10, Horrible.
That's all folks!

Glitches and Visuals aside, Sonic Adventure is pretty good and i still like it, Replayability value, Chao Garden, The Music, I Prefer SA more than SA2 because it allows you to play exactly with the character you select (SA2 changes the character each stage), SA even has HUB Worlds that you can explore for emblems and easter eggs, And let's not mention the Many HUB Worlds missions ..

How can you hate the game for being Simple and Fast paced ?

Last edited:
Sonic the Hedgehog -- Half of its zones felt too slow, could never really get into it

Sonic 2 -- Would have been the best had it not been for bad enemy placement, difficulty spikes, and cheap special stages, but I still like it

Sonic CD -- The prettiest visually, the best soundtracks, and the past and future variants add to the reply value... but it's too easy and the time travel gimmick is poorly executed, so I'd say it's somewhere in the middle

Sonic 3 & Knuckles -- Probably the best of the classics, though not without its faults. Some gimmicks get a little tiresome after a while, and the barrel is uh... the barrel. On the whole it's well-designed though.

Sonic Adventure -- I actually liked it from a story perspective and the overall theming and ost was pretty good, but the gameplay has NOT aged well at all. Sloppy physics, buggy, scripted segments, and the side modes are all over the place. Overall pretty mediocre

Sonic Adventure 2 -- More or less has the same problems as the first one

Sonic Heroes -- I've only ever rented this, but my first impressions is that it's a pretty average game

Sonic Advance -- Actually pretty solid, just not as much longevity as Sonic 2 or Sonic 3&K. Amy was a really cool character here, and I wouldn't mind seeing her gameplay come back in something like Sonic Mania.

Sonic Advance 2 -- This is Sonic Rush 0.5, and I don't really care for it. Some awful design choices, but to its credit the bosses are pretty cool.

Sonic Advance 3 -- Feels like an awkward mesh between Sonic Advance 1's level design and Sonic Advance 2's physics. Playing it again, it doesn't really work for me.

Sonic and the Secret Rings -- Would have been alright if it weren't for the motion controls. (in other words the core concept sucks)

Sonic Unleashed Wii -- Garbage

Sonic Generations -- Pretty alright. The modern gameplay is actually better than the classic gameplay here, but that's mainly because the physics for classic Sonic don't feel as tight as they do in the originals (also insta-spindash is broken-powerful)

Sonic Lost World -- Only played the demo. Seems pretty interesting but the controls are a bit stiff

Sonic Robo Blast 2 -- The only Sonic game worth playing

Last edited:
TL Note: Kusoge -> Shit game.

Sonic 1 - A decent start to the series. Average.
Sonic Eraser - I'm only glad this was rediscovered only for archival purposes. An incomprehensible puzzle game, worse than Columns. Kusoge.
Sonic 2 - Refined Sonic 1's gameplay, improving the experience. Good.
Sonic CD - Takes Sonic 1's issues and makes them worse by adding poorly made exploration-themed level design. Mediocre.
Sonic Spinball - It's shit, just go play Demon Crash instead. Kusoge.
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - I'd rather they just made an original spin-off with the AoStH charas instead of just cramming them into Puyo. Average.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Takes Sonic 2 and expands the gameplay tenfold. Excellent.
Knuckles' Chaotix - Messy stages that barely even vary. A waste of outstanding music and graphics. Kusoge.
Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island - A dull experience, through and through. Isometric Flicky, rinse and repeat for seven long-ass zones. Mediocre.

Sonic 1 - A so-so platformer, not a bad attempt at an 8bit Sonic. Average.
Sonic 2 - Sonic 1 with new levels and gimmicks, really. The new level tropes and emerald searching are rather nice though. The GG version is nigh impossible due to them not accounting for the smaller screen, however. Master System: Average. Game Gear: Kusoge.
Sonic Chaos - More of the same, really. Tails is rather fun to play as. Average.
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - GG Puyo, next. Average.
Sonic Drift - Pretty decent Mario Kart clone. I don't know why everyone whines about ~Sonic driving a car~. Average.
Sonic Spinball - One of the worst pinball games I have ever played. Kusoge.
Sonic Triple Trouble - Expands on Sonic 1&2 and Chaos' rather basic gameplay. Good.
Sonic Drift 2 - Much like SD1, a pretty nice Mario Kart clone. Average.
Tails' Sky Patrol - A bad horizontal pseudo-shmup. Borderline impossible to 1cc. Kusoge.
Tails' Adventures - A woefully underrated metroidvania. Possibly one of my fave Game Gear games. Excellent.
Sonic Labyrinth - Playable, yet dull. Slow, uninteresting gameplay. Mediocre.
Sonic Blast - "hey guys what if we made a really shitty donkey kong country clone and put it on the game gear". Kusoge.

Sonic 3D Blast - A prettier version of the Mega Drive game with better Special Stages. Mediocre.
Sonic R - Lackluster racing game. I only like it for nostalgic purposes. Kusoge.

Sonic Adventure - Aged poorly. I can find some enjoyment in it, but that's really just nostalgia, I feel. Chao Garden is okay though. Mediocre.
Sonic Shuffle - So-so Mario Party clone. Never bothered to play it for longer than a few mintues (same with the Mario Party games). Average.
Sonic Adventure 2 - The most overrated piece of shit I have ever seen. Anyone who says Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy VII are the most overrated games of all time is automatically wrong purely because of this game's existence. Sonic and Shadow's stages are absurdly linear in comparison to SA1 except for Final Rush, Tails and Eggman are clunky as hell to control, Knuckles and Rouge's new radar artificially lengthens the stages, the plot is poorly-written fanfiction bullshit, the hilariously shallow (even more shallow than Sonic R) kart racing was tacked on for no reason other than "woops gotta reuse the Twinkle Circuit engine somewhere", asset re-usage all over the place (Retro's review explains this better than I can), and the one thing this game gets right besides the music (Shadow's character development) is completely disregarded in later games. The Chao Garden is the one saving grace. Kusoge, and I refuse to listen to anyone try to convince me otherwise. I'm not gonna force you to dislike it, so don't try to force me to like it.

Sonic Pocket Adventure - Pretty underrated I feel. A very good attempt at making an 8bit equivalent of the MegaDrive games. Good.
Sonic Advance - The closest thing we had to a true Sonic 4 before Sonic Mania showed up. Excellent.
Sonic Advance 2 - The more linear stages and emphasis on speed over anything else kinda ruin this game a bit. The pits don't help either. Average.
Sonic Pinball Party - All that Sonic Spinball shall never be. Good.
Sonic Battle - A pretty good Power Stone clone. And also what's probably the best story in all of the modern games. Excellent.
Sonic Advance 3 - Expands on Sonic Advance 1&2 but adds a strange team mechanic? Odd. Good.

I haven't played most of these in ages, so bear with me.

Sonic Heroes
- They really didn't know what they were doing with this game. Questionable game design (the entire crocodile part in Lost Jungle), stages that last up to ten minutes... The aesthetics are top notch, however (except for the glossy character models). Sorry Toaster, mediocre.
Shadow the Hedgehog - The gun gimmick actually works surprisingly decent from what I remember, but Shadow himself is just too slippery. The game is also very unmemorable outside of the embarrassing middle school level edgyness. Mediocre.
Sonic Riders - A so-so racing game, from what I remember. Average.

Sonic Rush - An improved version of Sonic Advance 2, more or less. Good.
Sonic Rush Adventure - Takes Sonic Rush and... Worsens it with the vehicle segments. Average.
Sonic Chronicles - I gave up at Central City it was that unbearable. Kusoge.
Sonic Colors - Too slow for my liking. Mediocre.

Sonic Rivals 1&2 - who cares. Mediocre.

Same as the PS2.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity - Rather unmemorable. Average.
Sonic Unleashed - An okay-ish downgrade of the PS3/360 version. Average.

Sonic 06 - Good LP material, bad game. Kusoge.

Haven't finished Unleashed PS3 or Generations, sorry.

SegaSonic the Hedgehog - A cute little timewaster. Not too bad. Average.
Sonic the Fighters - An average fighting game. Stick to Virtua Fighter or Fighting Vipers. Average.

Last edited:
Hey, you practically wrote my post for me! Thanks, KobaBeach!

I haven't actually played Colours, 06, Unleashed, Riders Zero Gravity, or the Rivals games so I don't think it'd be fair for me to rate them. I'd personally place Heroes as average or good, mostly because it brought back special stages and at least the game was reasonably consistent in its design. I'd also give more points to CD because I appreciated the exploration and time travel mechanics.

Played Sonic and the Secret Rings, though. That was a really weird experience and one I don't want to repeat.

Hey, you practically wrote my post for me! Thanks, KobaBeach!

I haven't actually played Colours, 06, Unleashed, Riders Zero Gravity, or the Rivals games so I don't think it'd be fair for me to rate them. I'd personally place Heroes as average or good, mostly because it brought back special stages and at least the game was reasonably consistent in its design. I'd also give more points to CD because I appreciated the exploration and time travel mechanics.

Played Sonic and the Secret Rings, though. That was a really weird experience and one I don't want to repeat.

I'm gonna piggyback on this post for the most part.

I thought Colors was pretty top notch, and also have a weird nostalgia boner for Heroes and Unleashed Wii though I'm not gonna pretend either game was godly

I haven't played the 360 version, but it always baffled me that the Wii version of Unleashed somehow scored higher than the 360 among most of the reviews. Setting aside the cutscene content, I thought the Wii version controlled like trash, the 360 version had more variety and it didn't handle lives stupidly.

I get that apparently there were difficulty spikes and the sun and moon medal garbage, but I can't imagine that would be enough to make it worse than the Wii version

I haven't played the 360 version, but it always baffled me that the Wii version of Unleashed somehow scored higher than the 360 among most of the reviews. Setting aside the cutscene content, I thought the Wii version controlled like trash, the 360 version had more variety and it didn't handle lives stupidly.

In my opinion, the Wii version controlled pretty well if you had a Gamecube controller while playing.

I get that apparently there were difficulty spikes and the sun and moon medal garbage, but I can't imagine that would be enough to make it worse than the Wii version

Well, there was 360/PS3's Eggman land, which is probably part of the reason. Maybe.

In my opinion, the Wii version controlled pretty well if you had a Gamecube controller while playing.

Werehog sure as shit didn't. The basic run/walk is all fucked up. Instead of making it so that your speed matches how hard you press on the control stick, it's completely binary -- you start walking and then speed up automatically. To dash you had to double tap the stick -- why they didn't just make it a single tap is beyond me.

Needless to say, Dimps is incompetent.

Sonic 1: ok, but a little lame
Sonic 2: pretty good
Sonic 3 (and knuckles): amazing
Sonic adventure 1 and 2: amazing and has the best music
Sonic unleashed/sonic colors/sonic generations: probably my favorite era
Sonic 06: fun, but not amazing
Sonic cd: really good, love the music!
Sonic heroes: almost forgot this one, one of my favorites!
Sonic rush 1-2: another one I almost forgot, but I really liked this series
sonic 4 episodes 1-2: it's a little buggy, but it's still pretty fun
sonic 3d blast: pretty good
Game gear series: very good, especially for a game gear
Sonic advance 1-3: really fun
Lost world: I actually liked this game
Sonic labyrinth: pretty bad
Sonic chronicles: so boring
Pocket adventure: not bad
Sonic spinball: very fun, but pretty hard
Sonic blast: lame, but still fun
Sonic r: really fun, especially with friends
Sonic drift 1-2: bad, but still had some fun with it
Sonic battle: decent

I've never completed sonic chronicles, it's just so long and pointless. There are also several games I haven't played yet, but I plan on completing all sonic games (except maybe a few).

Sonic '17: 7
Mania: 8

Mania: 10
Sonic 2017: 9

You'll have to explain to me how you can even begin to rate games that not only aren't out yet, but in the case of S2017 haven't had any information released about them whatsoever.

I'd go on a long list of games, myself, but what's the point? Every time I do I just get shit flung at me for having different opinions, so I've stopped bothering.

犬夜叉;784454 said:
I'd go on a long list of games, myself, but what's the point? Every time I do I just get shit flung at me for having different opinions, so I've stopped bothering.

but it's fun to disagree :(

犬夜叉;784454 said:
You'll have to explain to me how you can even begin to rate games that not only aren't out yet

Sorry i did forget to mention that those ratings, in my eyes, are first impressions. They will change once the games are out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back