• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Blaze Canyon(s/c/r)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuja

http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=046454ac78b8414d9135d20de62aeedb

Well, being my birthday today and all, I decided I'd release this a little early. This is the level that will replace my old Rush Canyon in my mod. It's still a bit unpolished, and I want to change a few things before the final version.

I tried to be a bit more detailed in the stage appearance this time, and focused a lot on the flow of the level. The last part of the stage is a little underdeveloped, so I apologize about that. Let me know how it turned out, eh? ;)

Before you say ANYTHING, know that I already know about the glitched crusher sound. Sadly, I don't know how to fix it, so just try and ignore it for now. Any suggestions for improvement, problems, gimmicks, etc. would be appreciated.

Screenshot:
srb20032jw2.png

TL;DR Have at it. Heh, I wonder if anyone will bother to read what I wrote this time.

This level's very fun. However:
-When you get into the room where the waterfall is, graphic glitches appear.
-It's too flat and empty for single player
-Random Monitors aren't good for Single Player mode.
Positives:
+Long, I like longer levels
+The switches are cool-looking and clever. I once accidentally took a Spring that sent me to the lava pit. Make the Spring appear after you hit the switch.
+The detail was amazing. It needs more scenery objects though.

Thanks for the comments Karuno. :)

Karuno said:
-When you get into the room where the waterfall is, graphic glitches appear.
-It's too flat and empty for single player
-Random Monitors aren't good for Single Player mode.

-I just ran through the level with Software AND OpenGL. Where is the graphic glitch?
-Is it one area, or the entire map in general? If by "empty" you mean "spacious" and not "cramped", Then I understand.
-LOL? I NEVER put random monitors in my levels. You must be playing in a different gametype.(Or I must have put in one by mistake. x_X)

I'm glad you liked the detail and small gimmicks, though. :D
I wanted to use less trees and flowers in this level because...well, it's a barren, desolate canyon. Still, I have a lot of things that I want to change before the final product, so things may or may not stay the way they are.

This is realy good. Much better than the old version. However, I'm pretty sure the start of the level c-kicks in netgames.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I don't know why this happens, and I'd fix it if I could.

I also want to point out that the GFZ-like island you see in the sky is not reachable. Don't bother trying to reach it. Ever. Seriously, just give up.

The beginning was a little too flat, it was basicly a quick runthrough. I like the fact that it looks like a realistic canyon twising around itself like it should be. The Emerald Isle in the back ground was a nice touch too. I got lost after the falling wooden bridge, maybe add an arrow or something?

This Act is great Kuja! I have played your current Emerald Isles release countless times and it's still fun, the fact that you're still working on this is great. There are so many things to like about this, the realistic speed pads, massive level size, those original looking switches, and the name change of the zone. Don't worry about the graphical glitch, I saw it, it's nothing big, I might take a screen-shot later if I'm not feeling lazy.
EDIT: Here's the glitch.
EDIT 2:I noticed something about the sound glitch. I can hear the crushing sound, but it's very quiet, but when I go somewhere else, the sound is loud and clear. Is the sound in the wrong place or something?
srb20013-1.png

Chrome the hedgehog said:
I got lost after the falling wooden bridge, maybe add an arrow or something?

Heh, I don't know what to tell you Chrome, but there's only one way to go, and there's no possible way for sonic to backtrack through the stage at that point(not counting crawla bouncing, or NOCLIP). I might get rid of the Emerald Isle view altogether, though. It just doesn't seem to fit there like I hoped it would.

Dr.Pepper said:
Don't worry about the graphical glitch, I saw it, it's nothing big, I might take a screen-shot later if I'm not feeling lazy.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

Dr.Pepper said:
EDIT 2:I noticed something about the sound glitch. I can hear the crushing sound, but it's very quiet, but when I go somewhere else, the sound is loud and clear. Is the sound in the wrong place or something?
I've seen this in one of the levels (the second I think) in Morph's Level pack, as well

Oh, THAT was the graphic bug? I can fix that easily.

As for the crusher noise, it's given me problems before. I just ended up getting rid of the crushers altogether. It's an unmentioned bug, I guess.

Only one thing I can say. AWESOME! Excellent detail, sounds and extras.
I epsecially lke the beginning and the way you designed those speed pads.
This replaces Metal Flower and Nuclear Sunset zone act 2 as my favorite level!

I'd love to make some joke about me being late and it being pasture birthday, but I think I'll just link out to this image instead.

Firstly, when I spawned, the first thing I saw was a flat open hallway to a bunch of springs. Naturally, I jumped and started to thok, and then noticed the camera changed and I wasn't supposed to do anything. Naturally, I died. Perhaps you could try to fix this with some per-sector gravity effects to pull me down to the floor, or something.

Also, this almost seems to have the same problem as Forever Forest 1: Shifting the focus from gameplay to detail and flow means you're essentially playing on a flat plain. Now, don't get me wrong, lotsa curvy linedefs aren't bad. However, you're still going to have to put in the same amount of work on gameplay.

Another problem for me was "Where's forwards?" While yes, I did finish, I was kinda confused. Many parts were like "Well, this might be forwards. *poke*", mainly because I was wondering if these were alternate routes to the area I was in, rather than a way out. Also, the hardcore open air area was a really bad time to go superform in. It's really easy to miss forwards with the high speed and jump, and it all turns into a big circuit.

I like this map. It's way better than that old Rush Canyon Zone. I haven't bothered to finish it yet though...

I sort of like how you used that Dead Tree thing of mine, yet it was used in a different theme than what I expected it to be used in... That's partly why I like it in this level... Where did you get it from?

@Bluezero4: Yeah, i'll admit that it came out as a bit flat. I wanted to try a different level design angle, though. I cant help but agree with you on it being unbalanced.

@M-I: yes, I ended up using your tree, and retexturing it in photoshop. Sorry if you felt that I tried to steal it from you without credit, or something. Apologies w/ cookies?

Don't worry. I seem to like it better since you darkened it... I mean, if it wasn't such a good level I wouldn't be so happy about it...

And Chrome, the latest version of the SRB2 Asset Package does not have my HHZ Dead Tree in it yet, as far as I know... Yet the sprite is in the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back