XSRB2 vX-010 - Updated 7.17.11 7:11PM EDT (xsrb2-010.zip/xmus.dta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember this?
犬夜叉 said:
Well... now that AFD is almost over, I want to make a real release, but I've run into a very REAL bug with Z_Realloc and FOFs that's making things an utter pain. :x
Well... I've gone and fixed the real problem this time (with Z_ReallocAlign) instead of getting Alam to revert his numerous changes that included using it.

This... well, fixes a LOT more than just FOFs.

To put it in perspective...

ERZ2 does not crash on load. EVER.
NONE of the maps in Tortured Planet crash on load. I just burned something like 50 lives on AAZ1 without any ill effects, whereas after two or three in normal SRB2 the game would up and quit with an error.

In other words, I have just made the most stable version of SRB2... ever.

Happy now?

Last edited:
The stability is a really impressive improvement that should be added into the official game. Not only is it making (net)play considerably less annoying, it can really help level designers and level stability. Good job.

Anyone remember this?
ERZ3 does not crash on load. EVER.
NONE of the maps in Tortured Planet crash on load. I just burned something like 50 lives on AAZ1 without any ill effects, whereas after two or three in normal SRB2 the game would up and quit with an error.

In other words, I have just made the most stable version of SRB2... ever.

Happy now?

That depends, can people join ERZ1 & 2 online now? Does the last zoom tube in ERZ1 not cause crashes on higher resolutions anymore?

I say this because I've NEVER experienced any of the those problems that you mentioned right there.

I just realized I typed ERZ3 instead of ERZ2.

And in that case, you've never had ERZ2 (or for that matter, CEZ2) crash while loading before? You might very well be the luckiest person ever.

Never at level load, always at random points throughout the stage. Though, mostly in netgames. Single Player problems seem to have vanish since the dynamic memory manager was fixed and particle scaling disabled.

Any chance on releasing this update soon? I'd like a little proof of this statement. Or were you referring to the current version (vX-005)?
Most probably the current version. It never crashes on any levels for me, on load or during play. I use software mode on 640x320 which could be the reason for it's stability hence the stability it has on it's own.
Also I don't know whats up with ERZ3's gravity but I can't speedrun it like that D:

Last edited:
You'll have to wait for 2.0.5's release for ERZ3 to really be playable. All the physics changes really messed with it.

And I was talking about -006, though -005 is relatively stable for the most part anyways. I wasn't going to make another release myself until 2.0.5's release; but seeing as that's still going to take a little bit longer, I'm not sure I'm going to bother waiting.

Until then, you can have a few random screenshots:
xsrb0314.png

CTRL-TAB in the console has a bit of added, useful functionality.

xsrb0315.png

lol speed shoes in golf~
(also DCZ's texture set sucks.)

xsrb0317.png

Another random screenshot of the above map, more complete. Probably won't get released with -006... it depends on if I can get a few more maps done that are like this.
Also note the FPS counter that totally tops the one currently in SRB2.

xsrb0319.png

Self explanatory.

Last edited:
As for this exe's support for the tortured planet mod... The game will crash when you try to move the gargoyles underwater towards the springs in one of the Drowned Downtown Acts. IT doesn't happen in srb2win.exe Has anyone else had this issue?

vX-006 is in the process of uploading has been released.

Changelog follows:

Code:
// ~~~ Changelog ~~~
//  =    X-006    =

* Many stability related fixups.

* Memory fixups as previously mentioned.

* Gargoyles and springs play nicely together again.

* Quicksand stuff:

* Quicksand physics changed. It acts more S3&Kish now -- jumping is
		allowed at any time, not just if you're sinking, and mashing jump
		gets you out faster.

* Quicksand no longer pulls you through solid FOFs.

* Shield orbs don't do stupid stuff in quicksand anymore.

* A couple new trigger linedef executor lines added.

* 319 - Sector Ceiling Comparison - Continuous 

* 320 - Sector Floor Comparison - Continuous

* Wanna writeup on how they work?  Too bad, ask someone to twiddle with
		the wiki.  Or you can look at...

* Sandy Shrine Act 1 has been added, in a
	mostly-complete-but-could-still-use-a-little-work stage.  Includes a staff
	time.

* Golf mode (for editors): Super Sneakers now simply gives the player one single
	shot at guaranteed maximum power.  Use it wisely.

* Gravflipped ghost/thok/spin MOBJs are correctly aligned now.

* Scaling craziness.

* MAXMOVE is scaled to the object's scale.  In other words, no matter what
		scale you're at, you won't start going too fast and going diagonally
		or straight or some strange odd direction that isn't where you're
		aiming.

* Numerous -- NUMEROUS camera related changes/fixes -- some easily noticable,
		some not.

* Scaling from 5 to 400 is possible.

* Pickup sparks' scaling fixed.

* Weapon ring HUD is hidden if you're in Tag and you're not IT.  Makes sense, hm?

* Console:

* CTRL+TAB in the console acts as a quick reference, showing you all
	the commands or variables that begin with what you currently have typed
		in the console.

* Major, major changes to a bunch of text strings to enforce a shred of
		consistency among warnings/errors/etc.

* Cleanup of a few stupid and redundant messages.  Helps logfile size a tad.

* Shards gets its own little pointlimit message now.

* Fixed the "Sprites added" message so it displays the correct sprite count,
		and added a frame count to it too.

* Removed the old FPS text/graph.  Instead, it's been replaced with a single FPS
	meter (console command "fpsmeter", replaces the old "Show FPS" option in
	the menu) that actually works properly and updates almost instantly.  It also
	turns red if your FPS falls below half, as a little added touch.

* Text on screen such as "Press fire to respawn" now says the actual name of the key
	("Press MOUSE1 to respawn") instead of just 'fire'.

* Fading tweaks.

* OpenGL doesn't hang for a couple of seconds at the end of levels anymore
		(this was due to an unnecessary fade being done when it shouldn't)

* Support for multiple fades has been added.  Look at what I did to the
		multiplayer intermission screen and single player score tally for
		an example! :D

* Variable "spikebug" added.  You may now take a wild guess or three at what this
	little thing does.  (hint: think Sonic 1.)

Last edited:
Uhh, you might wanna look at what happens when Black Eggman shoots cannonballs. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

EDIT: Animation speed should probably be scaled too. It looks really weird when you're very small or very big.

Last edited:
...ha, hahaha. I see what you mean.

I'm not really concerned though because they were already broken thanks to MFE's physics. I'm probably going to wait for 2.0.5 to fix it.

...DSZ2 crashes on load, due to some colormap limit error.

I really like the new level for xsrb2, though. One suggustion I have is to make the boss health meter flash yellow when it reaches it's pinch phase.

Last edited:
This is what happens when you let Alam tinker with things.

Pester him; perhaps the fact that -- as you've noted -- it exists in 2.0.5's betas too will get him to tinker with it. There's absolutely nothing I can do about it, because I have no clue what he did.

I take that back... for whatever reason, .01 does not equal .01 in the game's mind unless you convert the numbers to another format or tell it to print something to the console first. In other words, the game was continually adding new colormaps when it should not have been because an identical colormap already existed.

I've reuploaded -006, go nuts.

Last edited:
I really liked that new level for XSRB2; vanilla SRB2 really should have quicksand physics just like the ones in this mod! It's a pity it isn't that long though. =(

(...by the way, I found where that sand filling the room with the red button came from. =P)

Minor bug report: Non-Sonic character dies upon starting a coop netgame.

1) Play any multiplayer map as Tails or Knuckles;
2) Press ESC
3) Menu: Multiplayer > Host Game > Game Type: Coop > Start
4) Die.

EDIT: Being frank, I think it's a tad unfair punishing players for changing their skins on coop, once they can't choose the skin before joining the game. Other gametypes in which it's possible to join in "Spectator" mode and choose a skin before joining the game, losing a life is perfectly bearable though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back