Level Design Contest - December Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

a441

We ended up with a whopping 23 (!) maps this month. I know you're anxious to play, but please read the following notes carefully first:

1. Judging will continue until January 7, 2005. The extra-long judging period is to accommodate the large number of levels and the players who are currently away travelling somewhere.

2. Please take your time and only vote when you are sure you've played a level enough to get a feel for how good it is. 10 minutes in each map is a good minimum, preferably over at least two different games.

3. While some maps support tag, chaos, and CTF, this contest will be judged in match.

4. Copy and paste the following list. For each map, add a rating out of 10, and a brief review of why you rated it that way.

MAP01, Florid Crater Zone by FuriousFox:
MAP02, Sandy Beach Zone by Some guy:
MAP03, Diamond Duel Zone by Sonicandtails218:
MAP04, Wrecked Satellite Zone by Shadow Hog:
MAP05, Meadow Conflict Zone by hotdog003:
MAP06, Floating Factory by Firekid:
MAP07, Sonichero's Palace Zone by Joe:
MAP08, Fluff Fight Zone by SRB2-Playah:
MAP09, Lunar Facility Zone by FuriousFox:
MAP10, Thunder Citadel Zone by Mystic:
MAP11, Verdant Valley Zone by Shuffle:
MAP12, Winter Wonderland by Snort:
MAP13, Winter Valley Zone by Some guy:
MAP14, Barrel Barrage Zone by Blue_Blur:
MAP15, Ruined Fortress Zone by SRB2-Playah:
MAP16, Fusion Reef Zone by a441 & SSNTails:
MAP17, Emerald Beach Zone by Senku:
MAP18, Illustrion Zone by Jason_the_Echidna:
MAP19, Green Patch Zone by Linkman90:
MAP20, Colorpool Arena by Ex_Sonic:
MAP21, Ex Arena by Ex_Sonic:
MAP22, Space Fight Zone by Some guy:
MAP23, MI by Some guy:

5. Each rating must be from 0 to 10, 0 being a total waste of time, and 10 being the best level ever. Please use only whole numbers (no .5s) to make computing the average ratings easier.

6. You don't need to rate all the levels at once. Feel free to rate only a few at a time.

7. Remember to use the "-noxmas" command line parameter (you can type it under Manual Parameters in the launcher) to see the levels as intended!

Several levels were submitted without map headers, so I had to guess what music and sky the level designer would want. Also, I had to remove some visual effects in MAP08 to prevent it from crashing in OpenGL, which the submitted version did.

So with that out of the way...

DOWNLOAD (697 KB zip)

uh oh, FuriousFox stopped hosting the judging....
no offence...
to anyone... btw this is my 4th edit...
dont wanna make anyone feel bad...

I know it's probably to early to ask, but when does the next contest start?

Holy crap! 23 wads?
Damn! A lot of people put off submitting their wads to the last minute, huh? :P

Yay, it's out! :D

MAP04? Hrmm, a little closer to the top than I anticipated... whatever. *goes to explore in SP, since it's too late to engage in a MoFo match*

The ordering was selected at random by a little program I wrote. You have only chance to blame and/or thank for your map being where it is.

there is a part of a wad with a problem, map 06...
ill have to get it somehow.

Seeing a lot of flaws with some of these maps... also seeing a good deal of maps that rather easily trounce mine, though mine I still feel is quite respectable.

Major things I think are problems...

* Lightning Sheilds. Like, NOT in Random/Deaf Monitors. I suppose it's a minor detail, but it still isn't the greatest thing...
* Armageddon Sheilds, also not in Random/Deaf Monitors. This one's probably going to be a BIGGER problem, given it'll affect just about EVERYBODY in the general area...
* No Single Player Starts. Not required? Sure. But some of us DO like to explore a little...
* The dreaded Infinite Automatic Rail Explosion Ring. Might as well have tossed in the Homing to make it a done deal, but either way it still creates virtually invincible godlike people things.
* Turrets. Lots and lots of turrets. How am I to do a multiplayer game if I can't even aim, given that the turrets become my major concern?

Probably more flaws I noticed, but I'm lazy and it's late so beh.

Here are my scores:

I rated these by Ring Placement, Originality,Design, Looks, and Playabiliy. *Note, these are my rounded scores. * means special uniqueness aka done very well. > means done very poorly. ^ is a pack of 5 *s.

Florid Crater Zone | Sandy Beach Zone | Diamond Duel Zone |X
10-RP 09-RP 09-RP
08-Or 05-Or 09-Or
08-De 10-De 10-De
06-Lk 06-Lk 03-Lk
09-Py 09-Py 08-Py
Average=8.2 Average=7.8 Average=5.0

Wrecked Satalite Zone | Meadow Conflict Zone | Floating Factory Zone |X
10-RP 08-RP 03-RP
10-Or 05-Or 05-Or
10-De 07-De 07-De
07-Lk 03-Lk 02-Lk
10-Py 09-Py 07-Py
Average=9.4 Average=6.5 Average=4.8

Sonic Heroes Palace | Fluff Fight Zone | Lunar Falicity Zone |X
02-RP 10-RP 08-RP
10-Or 10-Or 09*Or
01-De 10-De 10-De
01-Lk 10*Lk 10-Lk
05-Py 10-Py 10-Py
Average=3.8 Average=10* Average=9.4*

Thunder Citadel Zone | Verdant Valley Zone | Winter Wonderland Zone |X
07-RP 08-RP 10-RP
10-Or 07-Or 09-Or
10-De 10-De 10-De
09-Lk 09-Lk 09-Lk
10-Py 10-Py 10-Py
Average=9.2 Average=8.8 Average=9.6

Winter Valley Zone | Barrel Barrage Zone | Ruined Fortress Zone
09-RP 06-RP 10-RP
07-Or 07-Or 09-Or
10-De 10-De 10-De
10-Lk 10-Lk 10-Lk
07-Py 02-Py 09-Py
Average=8.6 Average=7.0 Average=9.6

Fusion Reef Zone | Emerald Beach Zone | Illustion Zone |X
05-RP 10-RP 10*RP
10*Or 05-Or 10*Or
10-De 10*De 09*De
09-Lk 09-Lk 09-Lk
09-Py 10-Py 09-Py
Average=8.6* Average=8.8* Average=9.4***

Green Patch Zone | Colorpool Arena | Ex Arena |X
10-RP 10-RP 10*RP
09-Or 10-Or 10*Or
10-De 10*De 10*De
08-Lk 08*Lk 07-Lk
09-Py 10-Py 09*Py
Average=9.2 Average=9.4** Average=9.2****

Space Fight Zone | MI
06-RP 07-RP
07-Or 01-Or
10-De 02-De
04-Lk 04-Lk
10*Py 00>Py
Average=7.4* Average=2.8>

Average Score For This Contest= 7.9^^****>

I hope everyone is glad that I took about 2 hours for doing all this... Anyways, my winner was Fluff Fight Zone. It just caught my eye, it was planned out well. My dead pick is MI. What kind of level is that?!?! No playability what so ever. My specials winner is Ex arena, I really enjoyed that map. Well, thats my opinion.This contest was average... C+. Well, those are my scores. Hope you like them. :)

Zash, if you want me to count that, you'll have to give me a single rating and a description of why, like it says.

Some guy said:
What is so bad about MI? I think it is nice and fun.
Simple: you can't do anything. You're always being shot down by those blasted turrets to the point where just gathering things, particularly trying to get to the upper levels, becomes an instant impossibility. I have the feeling it will be getting a very low score from me if and when I get around to rating things, since it's a design flaw that, while it is simple to remove, seriously impacts the gameplay in a very unfavorable fashion.

that is the reason i hate MI so much. btw, what is MI supposed to mean?

Edit: DO I HAVE TO GIVE A REASON WHY FOR EVERY SCORE I GAVE THE MAPS??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back