Doomseeker now supports SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does, technically. It's packed away and turned into the "password", "verify", and "login" commands, just modified for ease of use due to the nature of the server code being built directly into the game.

also, I should note that DoomSeeker also allows you to add custom crawl websites. I wonder if you could use it to crawl mb.srb2.org ...

It does, technically. It's packed away and turned into the "password", "verify", and "login" commands, just modified for ease of use due to the nature of the server code being built directly into the game.

also, I should note that DoomSeeker also allows you to add custom crawl websites. I wonder if you could use it to crawl mb.srb2.org ...
It also has a web crawler designed to look for and automatically downloads mods hosted on servers - although in reality it will require some further support from SRB2 community to do this properly.
Not yet.

I would like to highly recommend a site for wadseeker and recommend for users that use Doomseeker to spread the word of it as soon as possible.

http://allfearthesentinel.net/

For the past few months I've been taking a lot of interest in Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch, a Zandronum mod that is usually said alongside SRB2 as "Doom mods" by random silly Youtubers. This mod uses Doomseeker highly as it's the only way to get access to the mod's servers. The most common form of hosting servers in MM8BDM, is TSPG Painkiller. This site is a repository for doom mods and has recently been getting double the activity as it has came back up after taking down their servers and moving to Canada from the U.S. Long story short, 8BDM players use this site to not only upload mods on there, but to make fully dedicated servers through TSPG's IRC channel on Zandronum's community IRC.

I could ask if SRB2 could also get support on this (especially since the TSPG mods are easily contactable I hear), but I don't think it might work, period. However, the wad repository is my main point. I highly wish that as many people, modders, and users as possible, to start uploading SRB2 content on allfearthesentinel via this part of the site:

http://allfearthesentinel.net/upload (NOTE: You will need to make an account in order to do this by the way, and if there is a wad that you would not like to have on there, you need to request to ban this mod from the site so wadseeker can't find it at all.)

I really want to spread this as far as I, and any other modders can throughout SRB2 to start using this site and recommending Doomseeker as much as possible, with this, accessing the master server will be easier than ever, and more importantly this can weaken the issue of downloading mods in SRB2, especially for my case, since hosting mods that I can't submit to submissions, but have everyone play publicly, is just... impossible to get traction on (while I have recently started using goo.gl links in my server names, they haven't given a lot of traction that I wish I could get hosting stuff like this.), especially so that even hosting mods no matter what the size on the MB, can prevent newcomers from being discouraged that they don't really know where to download them. Also, it'd be nice this is used more often so my shitty internet doesn't get eaten by random users downloading Boss Mayhem while we're in Egg Gauntlet.

People have to manually add that site tho, because SRB2 does not support custom urls for servers to redirect clients to, a repository of every wad uploaded to the MB would work better IMO.

EDIT : To elaborate on this, allfearthesentinel is used exclusively by servers hosted on TSPG because Zandronum allows servers to specify custom repository urls to redirect clients to them to download files required before joining, and doom.dogsoft.net has been down for maintenance for like 3 weeks now, If SRB2 gets the abilitiy to specify custom repository urls and gets it's own repository for every wad uploaded to the MB, maybe we can use it on Doomseeker and not worry about having to waste lot of time searching for a single addon.

Last edited:
I'm also talking a repository for unreleasable mods as well, I can't tell you how frustrating it is to get people to download Port Pack Remastered: a 100MB+ mod via server download or designated links in the server name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back