• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Arcade Gamer's Galactic Space Lab of Work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcade Gamer

Acts like a mature adult
This is just an thread for my work that i'm currently working on.

See comment #57.

Tails Doll(Not working on anymore):
5c0zg1.jpg

2urkznk.jpg

14w69ol.jpg

23uu68k.jpg

6jdriw.jpg

Last edited:
I would work on the shading. These sprites lack any at all. Also the scaling is just really tiny while the Tails Doll in other Sonic games are genially around the same height as everyone else.

Last edited:
I think you should have followed the Tails Doll's method of moving, by being carried or driven by the red sphere rather than simply moving around. Also, as larz says, shading and scale.

I think you should have followed the Tails Doll's method of moving, by being carried or driven by the red sphere rather than simply moving around.

I can debate weather or not that would be a good thing to add to this version of Tails Doll or not. I mean, the creator can have more fun with designing it and it would be less boring to play as rather than a one frame sprite of Tails Doll just hovering throughout the stage.

I would work on the shading. These sprites lack any at all. Also the scaling.

Actually, I was going to shade it but it made him look strange. I think his scaling is fine, I seen other Tails Doll WADs and they made his size very innaccurate (taller than Sonic)

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

I can debate weather or not that would be a good thing to add to this version of Tails Doll or not. I mean, the creator can have more fun with designing it and it would be less boring to play as rather than a one frame sprite of Tails Doll just hovering throughout the stage.
^^^^^ That's one of the main reasons why I wanted to create a new, unique, Tails Doll WAD.

Last edited:
@larz

True. But I do like the idea that the doll is being controlled and dragged around by the sphere. Maybe the running sprites could have this, while keeping the walking frames as is?

Also, I don't mean floating, I mean dragging. Like, the main force of the player is the sphere

@larz

True. But I do like the idea that the doll is being controlled and dragged around by the sphere. Maybe the running sprites could have this, while keeping the walking frames as is?

Also, I don't mean floating, I mean dragging. Like, the main force of the player is the sphere

Yeah, I will make him being dragged by the sphere for running, but while hes doing this, should I make his tails spin?

Last edited:
Hm. I wouldn't, but again this is your wad, and do as you wish. I wouldn't due to how awkward it might look with the doll being dragged and having his tail spin, but then again it all depends on how you make the sprites look in terms of positioning and stuff

Also, due to his small size, I created a custom thok item for him, which is a smaller version of the normal thok item.
2h3sf4g.jpg

I need help getting in in-game because whenever I try to, it screws up every object in the game and turns them all into dark red diamonds with yellow exclaimation marks.

OBJCTCFG said:
#Mini Thok item for Tails Doll
Thing MT_MINI_THOK
MAPTHINGNUM = -1
SPAWNSTATE = S_MINI_THOK
SPAWNHEALTH = 1000
SEESTATE = 0
SEESOUND = 0
REACTIONTIME = 8
ATTACKSOUND = 0
PAINSTATE = 0
PAINCHANCE = 0
PAINSOUND = 0
MELEESTATE = 0
MISSILESTATE = 0
SPAWNSTATE = S_MINI_THOK
DEATHSOUND = 0
XDEATHSTATE = 0
SPEED = 0
RADIUS = 32*FRACUNIT
HEIGHT = 32*FRACUNIT
MASS = 100
DAMAGE = 0
ACTIVESOUND = 0
RAISESTATE = 0
FLAGS = MF_NOBLOCKMAP|MF_NOGRAVITY

FRAME S_MINI_THOK
SPRITENAME = SPR_TDTK
SPRITEFRAME = A|TR_TRANS40
DURATION = 1
NEXT = S_NULL
ACTION None

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Hm. I wouldn't, but again this is your wad, and do as you wish. I wouldn't due to how awkward it might look with the doll being dragged and having his tail spin, but then again it all depends on how you make the sprites look in terms of positioning and stuff
Yeah, I won't make the tails spin in the running frames, I think its awkward too.

Also, please note that this Tails Doll won't be fully accurate to his Sonic R counterpart.

Last edited:
I think his scaling is fine, I seen other Tails Doll WADs and they made his size very innaccurate (taller than Sonic)

I'm not the best spriter when it comes down to the nitty gritty, but you are limiting yourself if you continue to do this wad the size you are sticking with. You can only fit so much detail and other stuff in such a size. Any professional spriters that disagree with my comment, be my guest to let me know.

Last edited:
2ujtafb.jpg

Heres his falling frame, which is based off of his falling animation in Sonic R.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

I'm not the best spriter when it comes down to the nitty gritty, but you are limiting yourself if you continue to do this wad the size you are sticking with. You can only fit so much detail and other stuff in such a size. Any professional spriters that disagree with my comment, be my guest to let me know.
Yeah, but most Dolls would be expected to be the size i'm sticking with.

Last edited:
I need help getting in in-game because whenever I try to, it screws up every object in the game and turns them all into dark red diamonds with yellow exclaimation marks.
Any new object types/states/sprites (and various other things that aren't relevant to the issue you're currently having) need to be declared as such in a FREESLOT block at the top of your SOC (or at least before the places where you use them). This tells the game that you intend to use those values and it needs to assign a free slot in the data tables to the identifiers you showed it. So for your specific uses, you'd do this in SOC:

FREESLOT
MT_MINI_THOK
S_MINI_THOK
SPR_TDTK

or this in Lua:

freeslot("MT_MINI_THOK", "S_MINI_THOK", "SPR_TDTK")

but not both in one WAD, since that causes confusion. (If you use the freeslots in a Lua script, or in both a Lua script and an SOC, declare them in Lua; if you only use them in SOC, you can declare them in either, but you should probably do so in SOC because why would you make a Lua script just to declare SOC freeslots?)

Any new object types/states/sprites (and various other things that aren't relevant to the issue you're currently having) need to be declared as such in a FREESLOT block at the top of your SOC (or at least before the places where you use them). This tells the game that you intend to use those values and it needs to assign a free slot in the data tables to the identifiers you showed it. So for your specific uses, you'd do this in SOC:

FREESLOT
MT_MINI_THOK
S_MINI_THOK
SPR_TDTK

or this in Lua:

freeslot("MT_MINI_THOK", "S_MINI_THOK", "SPR_TDTK")

but not both in one WAD, since that causes confusion. (If you use the freeslots in a Lua script, or in both a Lua script and an SOC, declare them in Lua; if you only use them in SOC, you can declare them in either, but you should probably do so in SOC because why would you make a Lua script just to declare SOC freeslots?)

I put the SOC script in my OBJCFG, the object problem is fixed, while the thok/spin/rev item isn't showing up in-game still.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

HEY tails! Be creepy!

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

5c0zg1.jpg

forever alone

Ha XD this gave me a laugh

Last edited:
Hmm. I think the lives icon could be larger, and centered. The shoes on the sign look awkward to me too, mainly because the rest of Tails Doll is within the blue area.

The latter was more of a nitpick than anything, though. There's a few character WADs that clearly have their goalpost artwork go past the boundaries of the sign, and I couldn't be bothered.

Hmm. I think the lives icon could be larger, and centered. The shoes on the sign look awkward to me too, mainly because the rest of Tails Doll is within the blue area.

The latter was more of a nitpick than anything, though. There's a few character WADs that clearly have their goalpost artwork go past the boundaries of the sign, and I couldn't be bothered.
10hp2d1.jpg

And for the signpost, I moved his offset up a little bit so his feet aren't peeking out of the signpost.

Last edited:

I thought this was an Editing topic, Axiom, not a topic for unfunny, bad substance. In the future, don't try to make "pointless" posts here; make sure to add some meaning in your posts to the topic, about the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back