• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

The SRB2 Community Map Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blur

Alright, you Zdoomers out there are probably rolling your eyes right now, but I figured this'd be kind of cool.

Basically, a community map project is a collection of all participants' works shoved together into a single map. The idea started on the Zdoom forums and turned out really well.

My idea is to use this idea and expand on it as much as possible. "So what is this big idea?" You ask. Easy, if we get enough people working, I'll copy/paste your levels together to make a visual representation of our little community here.

So I want you to make your house. Yes, the whole house, in a JTE's base style. You must include, if not a yard, then at least an empty grassy area outside. No custom textures, since it's all going to together. And don't make a header.

I guess that's all I can think of, other than, have fun!

Hm, it looks interesting... Well...

Ehm, SRB2 Town map? XD Sorry, but it matches perfectly XD

EDIT: oh, specify base heights and widths, too :P I always use 1024 as the standard height (well, like it is 0), and 2048 as a standard celling, but people probably is using other heights.

I do not believe this will end well. Though, thanks for reminding me, I must get around to finishing JTE's Pad sometime... :|

Well, I like using zero for base height, but if the outside isn't exactly zero, it's fine. Actually, as long as it isn't more than 200 units over, the base is fine. No negatives, though.

BTW, JTE, if you can take out all of those specials in JTE's Pad, I'll put that in. Also, I'll need people to sign up so we can assign control linedef numbers. These are needed so that the map flows together correctly.

Alright, if you want my honest opinion, the best way to handle a collab is as such:

• * Keep it to one WAD. To ensure everything keeps moving, if the person who asked to go next doesn't go within a certain time limit, move on to the next person and roll the skipped person on to the end (or disqualify them, I dunno). This also means no more retagging of specials, custom textures and music WOULD work, and so forth.

* Don't decide the theme for the people - start off with a certain theme, and let each person try to figure out a way to expand into another theme naturally. As you may have noticed from ZDOOM's collab, you start off in a base, move out into a river, back to the base, out into several open fields on the base, down into Hell, through Hell, inside random buildings in Hell, until eventually you come face-to-face with the boss. So, you could start out in somebody's house, then go out into their yard, fall into a crack in the ground, go through the tunnels, come out by a cliff, cross the cliff, descend to the beach, go underwater, come back up near a factory, zoom through the factory, and finally come face to face with Eggman. It's a lot more variety, and personally much more interesting than just houses. Besides, I never really cared for Zim's Base...

* As implied above, each person would take the existing level and add on to it. Maybe if they have to expand to a new level because the existing one's gotten too big, they can (just skip the score tally screen), but they don't modify the existing map, just add on in the blank areas or areas they were responsible for creating. Their contribution need not be terribly big, just something new.

* The end result? One lengthy, complex map that'd be rather interesting to play.

Personally, I'd be more interesting in participating in THAT kind of collab than one where you just make houses. As it is, it seems too limiting.

It's not that there's anything WRONG with them, I just don't care for them, and I certainly don't like being forced to make one - MY one, in fact. And by "forced" I mean "if I wanted to take part in this".

I'd participate, but my house is almost completely FOFs, making a problem with tags.

I'll participate.
So, what set of rules are we gonna do for this collab?
I personally, would like to do something other than a house. But if need be, I'll make one.

Sure, what the hell, I've got time to waste! Besides that, I never made it into the ZDCMP ;) Give me a range of tag #'s to use and I'll get right to work.

Oh, one more thing: Are we allowed to use vanilla DOOM2.EXE special effects, like the old style of 3D bridges, Iikka Keranen's method for 3D bridges, and the like?

Making a map of your home is too damn hard, I think the wad should just include everyone's best/favorite match map in one level.

Anyone who knows how to map at all can map their house IMHO, and with a little imagination it can be quite simple. Maybe that's just me talking, but, you know- well, on second thought, maybe it's best to wait until it's time to turn in my map to the Sept / Oct contest... ;)

Of course people with the ability to map their house CAN, but it's alot of work, especially when you go into as much detail as JTE did.

Alight, now that I've slept and found that everyone is split on the matter, I've decided to update the rules.

1)Good idea with the tag assignment, that'll help out a good bit.

2)I would like to keep with the house theme, because I was intending for this to be a multiplayer map collab, or even an emerald hunt stage.

3)I guess we could go with just room... That is, if you want an "SRB2 Community Hotel Project."

Thanks for the feedback, in fact, a little more would be appreciated. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back