Attention To Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluecore

Cyansonic
The other day I was playing GFZ Act 1, for the thousandth time. But I've decided to take my time though it.

Did you know that their are over one hundred flowers, including Ground flowers, in that one stage.

Decorations are not that common in level wads so, hats off to the Map makers of Srb2. =)

gfz1.png

How long does it usually take you to make a map, in a way that you are happy with it?

Heh, the ground flowers is just a repeated texture, that part doesn't really take too much effort. Thing placement can be a bit tedious though, finding a balance for how many enemies and scenery things for certain areas can take a long time.

It took a long time for me to finish the srb1 remake maps because I always went back to try to update it or adjust platforms. It might go like take a couple hours for one map then go to the next one and the next one then go back to the first one and then a new one and so on. One of these days I should see if I can make some of the stages look better, but I don't think I will go back into srb2 mapping at this point.

I imagine the Srb1 maps are very annoying to make. I looked at the layout in doom builder and saw the map is just FOF's everywhere. It makes it very difficult because you have to keep stacking FOF's.

Did you just... use Green Flower Zone as an example of attention to detail? Do repeated textures and occasional flower sprites really count as legitimate detail? Surely you could have used a better example, as I find GFZ to be the worst offender of the most plain visuals in the game.

If anything, what I've seen of 2.1 THZ2 would be in this category. Nothing in the vanilla campaign really even stands out visual wise, at least in 2.0. People like Chrome, Nev3r, Thompson, CoatRack, Blade, and Spherallic make much better quality maps visual-wise than the vanilla game.

Last edited:
Eggrock Zone and Arid Canyon are really nice, though, there's a lot to see everywhere you look.

I felt like the stages from 1.09 were official examples of unbalanced level design etiquette for the game, (i.e, the original Castle Eggman Zone.) while 2.0 set a whole new standard for maps that wasn't there before, and that's taking map packs like The Emerald Isles into account. Everything about the 2.0 update knocked my socks off in a way most games don't anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back