Oil Spill TRIPLES in size!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think oil spills are the ultimate human pollution to the Earth because water is part of life and the oil is like another disease.

Don't confuse "tripling in surface area" with "tripling in size", please. There's a huge difference. It's still leaking at an even rate (Which actually makes things easier to deal with.) I...Really don't care. It's another accident and one that needs to be cleaned up. These things will happen and we should just deal with them as they come and try to find ways to prevent them in the future.

Actually, I just copied the title from another forum. Had no idea what the difference/fault was. D=

I also heard Sea Food prices are supposed to rise up. Not good for shrimp lovers.

Fish are dying? Oil floats on top of the water. How is it killing fish?

Now, I can see this causing problems for land creatures when it hits land. Seriously, it's a shame this happened. I'm hoping it doesn't put a cramp on some plans I have in a few weeks to go boating on the gulf coast. At least they could keep it out of Tampa Bay by blocking the inlet if it gets really bad.

Edit: Now they're talking about an oil tax to help clean up the spill? All that's going to do is raise prices for Joe Blow. I don't get it... BP has insurance for cases like this that pays for everything.

Yeek! That's horrible.

You know what's really, really ironic? A traditional way of cleaning up oil spills is dumping a commercial dispersant into the water, which breaks up the oil into a biodegradable form. But they recently discovered that most commercial oil dispersants are way, way more toxic to the environment than the crude itself.

The poor fish. These stupid oil tower things in the middle of nowhere. Oil is a piece of crap.

Well, there goes some of our peak oil.

...Well, there goes the fishing industry.

Hi BP... :3

Oh, my friend in Alabama said there is no sea food in his area due to this. He said they won't be selling SF for 4-5 years. (Absurd?..)

Fish are dying? Oil floats on top of the water. How is it killing fish?

Because this is crude oil that has chemicals in it that sink in water poisoning fish. This is not refined oil that is being leaked.

Can you guys imagine the damage that would be caused if a hurricane struck? Oil would fly miles inland killing trees and wildlife.

So apparently BP has attempted to turn a valve and stave off the leak using robotic submarines. That didn't work due to bad weather, so now they're in the process of building a giant dome to contain one of the leaks underwater and possibly pump the oil out of it.

Read all about it in the New York Times.

I know I should feel awful about the workers who were harmed and killed on the rig, the environmental degradation and increased oil prices caused by this incident, but hot damn, technology is super cool when you've got gobs of money and the motivation to spend it.

Last edited:
Lol, I read BP as BlazingPhoenix as well. Anyway, I heard that they're going to try and burn the oil off. There's one problem with that: even by burning it off, it leaves some of the oil left on the water that can't be burned at all. What I think they should do is string a flexible wall between two boats and just drive away from the Louisiana shore, which will move the oil away from the shore.

OilOcean.png

So I'm guessing the Gulf looks something like this now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back