• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic Mars - July 4th Early Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
MARS4WAY.png

Sonic Mars - July 4th Early

Howdy Folks! Welcome to the first beta release of Sonic Mars. I created a new topic because the discussion in the old one was mostly related to scrapped material. Keep in mind that this is an early prototype and many maps are incomplete or non-existent. I made a list to help guide you. Map completness is rated either Good, Bad, Ugly, or Non-Existent. Bosses are greatly incomplete, please don't bother me about them. Special thanks to Roy(Testing), Blade(Sprites), and Scizor300(Textures). Music tracks for maps 7, 8, and 10 are by Christian Senn. The title screen music is an instrumental recording of The Star-Spangled Banner by the United States Marine Corps band, 1953 from the Library of Congress.

• MAP01 - Quartz Cove 1 - Bad (Good in next Beta)
  • MAP02 - Quartz Cove 2 - Non existent
  • MAP03 - Quartz Cove 3 - Bad (Possibly fixed by next Beta)
  • MAP04 - King's Gambit 1 - Good (Currently being revamped)
  • MAP05 - King's Gambit 2 - Bad(Working on it...)
  • MAP06 - King's Gambit 3 - Bad(Not a priority right now)
  • MAP07 - Blue Ocean 1 - Bad(Right path should be done by 2nd beta)
  • MAP08 - Blue Ocean 2 - Bad
  • MAP09 - Blue Ocean 3 -Non existent
  • MAP10 - Ice Breaker 1 - Excellent
  • MAP11 - Ice Breaker 2 - Non existent
  • MAP12 - Ice Breaker 3 - Ugly
  • MAP13 - Akira Canyon 1 - Non existent (May be in next beta)
  • MAP14 - Akira Canyon 2 - Non existent (Will be in next beta)
  • MAP15 - Akira Canyon 3 - Non existent
  • MAP16 - Sparkling Cider 1 - Non existent
  • MAP17 - Sparkling Cider 2 - Non existent
  • MAP18 - Sparkling Cider 3 - Non existent
  • MAP19 - Secret!
  • MAP20 - Secret!
  • MAP21 - Secret!
-Special Stages-
  • MAP40 - Sand Gully - Non existent
  • MAP41 - Botanic Base - Non existent
  • MAP42 - Cydonia - Non existent
  • MAP43 - TBD
  • MAP44 - TBD
  • MAP45 - TBD
  • MAP57(Will be moved to 45) - Vuvuzela Volcano - Bad
-Multiplayer-

• MAP?? - Moon Base - (This circuit map is done but not released yet)
Moderator Notice:
Editing beta period expired, link removed

Next Release
Never.

Last edited:
I hope you don't think I'm ripping you off when I say that I plan to add Labyrinth Zone textures to Tortured Planet, but I did think up the idea independently. I'll create the textures myself, but they'll probably end up looking just like yours, so I don't want you to assume I'm stealing your work.

I have a question!

Why are you releasing work you know is bad?

Because it's a prototype and people like playing with prototypes. "Bad" is just part of my scale of completeness and are the least complete of anything. If you have a problem with even looking at those then don't.

If "bad" would mean the map is actually bad, I would refuse to touch the ones tagged "ugly". That said, I'm testing this, so expect a review when I'm ready.

Akirahedgehog, I feel like you're doing more or less what I did with Tortured Planet...releasing some raw skeletons of the levels and then going back later to fix them. I can see a lot of potential in some of them...I like what I see in King's Gambit Zone, for instance. But perhaps it would have been better to flesh it out a bit more before releasing a demo, as some of the levels are so incomplete that it's impossible to get a feel for what they would be like in a future version.

Also, I know it doesn't pay to bring up the laws of physics in a game with an anthropomorphic hedgehog that destroys evil robots, but real oil floats on top of water, instead of sinking to the bottom.

Also, I know it doesn't pay to bring up the laws of physics in a game with an anthropomorphic hedgehog that destroys evil robots, but real oil floats on top of water, instead of sinking to the bottom.

I'm aware of that but I still really love the look of the map whether it's physically correct or not. Don't forget that Sonic can breath in space! :)

Re: Early release, I'm fond iterative approaches (eg 1.09.3, "build little by little" and do somewhat-often releases,) but some emphasis should be placed on being somewhat presentable. I know you said some of these levels are prototypes, but just FYI :)

I /LOVE/ your scenery design! I don't know if these are your first maps, but the little details make me quite happy to have found :) Coupled with good level design (which shows serious potential in your ice map,) you could become one of my favorite Single Player mappers.

Looks nice, but the area where the buildings are looks a tad empty. Cacti always help, you know... Also, I was never a big fan of the monotonous style of the original ACZ, so I'd suggest trying to add some more brown rocks to vary it up. That's mostly preference though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back