• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

NiGHTS Tutorial Video Series - How to build NiGHTS tracks and levels!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digiku

If you ever wanted to make NiGHTS levels like the special stages, now you can have a video series to help explain the process to you!

The NiGHTS system may be tricky to understand, but it's completely learnable. NiGHTS is a series of axis circles and transfers that guide the player as they move on the 2D track in 3D space. Perhaps they're just a little different from the typical Sonic level; the NiGHTS system may seem straightforward once you learn it.

Full Playlist

See individual videos for skip times and main point summaries.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVIEmOPX_YO2IhFaUJapT4zAsGdUkJK8Q

1. Axis Track Basic Concepts
  2. Axis Track map-along in Zone Builder
  3. Straight Lines
  4. Advanced Track Tricks
  5. Hoops and Pickups Item Placement
Further Reading

NiGHTS Level Design 101 includes very helpful best practices on how to arrange your NiGHTS levels, gameplay-wise.

NiGHTS Tutorial is a technical explanation on how the axis track system works. Refer to this if the video does not explain something clearly.

Example WAD and EXE Download

This download includes a cheatsheet of item arrangements that you can copy-paste into your levels, as well as a NiGHTS Objectplace EXE to add a couple features and fix a Bumper bug. See Readme for details.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nw20bvxsvxl0azi/NightsTutorial.zip?dl=0

Conclusion

While the few NiGHTS mods over the years have been fantastic, there has just been too little of them. Maybe the wiki articles are hard to read (good resources as they are,) so I hope these videos make things feel a little simpler.

Feel free to reply below to get assistance on making a NiGHTS level. Or, if you'd like to chip in on the difficulties of learning NiGHTS levels, I'd like to hear those as well.

Last edited:
I have always wanted to make a NiGHTs level in SRB2 as I didn't know how to. I absolutely love NiGHTs so this will be wonderful for me! If someone makes a NiGHTs character mod in the future it will be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back