Another 2.1 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

STCPhoton

Locked User
Okay okay, I know you guys get these kinds of threads a lot now but I'm not here to ask when 2.1 is going to be released, I'm here to ask why do you guys want the netcode in so badly?

Why don't you release 2.1 as it is (IF you even started)without the netcode
so we can at least have a visualization of how it works.

I mean, I'm pretty sure most people here are not going to play it just so they can roleplay online and spam wads on their servers, This was supposed to be released in Q3 of 2011 but it's 2013 and you still have problems with the netcode? (Sounds like an excuse to me but I'm no dev myself).

(...but I'm no dev myself).

Exactly. You don't know shit.

The netcode is a very important part of the game, because online play is a very important part of the community. You can't just leave out an important feature just because you can't fix the bugs in it.

As it stands, yes, the netcode IS one of the main things preventing 2.1 from happening, but what you have to understand is that the bugs in it are almost completely random and unreproducible. It's not as simple as it may sound.

So no, it's not an excuse, and it's rude of you to even suggest that.

Okay okay, I know you guys get these kinds of threads a lot now but I'm not here to ask when 2.1 is going to be released, I'm here to ask why do you guys want the netcode in so badly?

Well, netplay is perhaps the biggest part of SRB2. There are way more things that you can do with friends than there are that you can do alone. Not only that, but a lot of people play Match and CTF also. Not everyone likes Single Player, although I see your point.

Why don't you release 2.1 as it is (IF you even started)without the netcode
so we can at least have a visualization of how it works.

Although this is a great idea, they'd probably have to code a lot more to disable netplay, and end up breaking something else in the process, and have to fix that.

I mean, I'm pretty sure most people here are not going to play it just so they can roleplay online and spam wads on their servers, This was supposed to be released in Q3 of 2011 but it's 2013 and you still have problems with the netcode? (Sounds like an excuse to me but I'm no dev myself).

It wasn't supposed to be released at any point in time. SRB2 doesn't have definite release dates for many reasons.
  • If they fail to meet the release date, it'll disappoint everyone.
  • They have their own lives to attend to. Not everyone has the opportunity to sit at a computer and code 24/7.
  • Money isn't involved. If they got paid, maybe they'd be more motivated. Even I tend not to work hard when there's no reward (Not saying the devs don't work hard, just saying that being rewarded increases productivity in most cases.)

On the good side, if they release 2.1 with netplay disabled, the community could help fix it, I suppose.

Last edited:
Exactly. You don't know shit.

The netcode is a very important part of the game, because online play is a very important part of the community. You can't just leave out an important feature just because you can't fix the bugs in it.

As it stands, yes, the netcode IS one of the main things preventing 2.1 from happening, but what you have to understand is that the bugs in it are almost completely random and unreproducible. It's not as simple as it may sound.

So no, it's not an excuse, and it's rude of you to even suggest that.

It's not rude, it's a minor withdrawal, people can stop complaining for 2.1 if their given a single player version, I'm not suggesting to take out multi-player, I'm suggesting that they should work on the netcode WHILE people play the single player version, So that SOMEDAY, the netcode is fixed and everyone hops onto the new multiplayer version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back