Reworking the definition of fanboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Plushima

Princess of Dreams
Judge
Note: Copypasted from a post on another forum, please excuse irrelevant case, or whatever you'd call it.

Ok, so I've recently noticed that the current definition of the word fanboy dosen't seem to totally encompass what should be considered a fanboy. So I'm rewriting the definition, whether you like it or not!

Alright, so first of all, the word fanboy is neuter, it can apply to males or females. Generally speaking, the word fangirl is more commonly applied to anime, but is for the most part interchangable.

So, as a measure of intelligence, I've split fanboyism into three sects, creatively named "type one", "type two", and "type three". Each of which has a nickname, which I will discuss in it's respective section.

Type one -- Classic Fanboys
Common examples -- The general image of a Sonic Fanboy
Generally, the type one fanboy is the old definition of the word. Completely obsessed with one franchise, or company, and utterly despises the others.
Type one fanboys often have horribly uncreative fancharacters, with backstories such as "The main character's long lost twin" They generally pull completely irrelevant data for debates, often countering official info, with fanfiction, and information from fake manuals, distributed through online retailers. (I've lost many-a debate to information in the Sonic Heroes manual that isn't)

Type two -- Franchise Whores, Intelligent Fanboys
Common examples -- The people who say Dirge of Cerberous was a bad game.
Often the polar opposite of Type ones, though just as common. The type twos are often attached to "what ___ has always been about" even if it was only true of the first few games. They will often dislike perfectly good games, simply because of not being "true to the classics" even if said classics wouldn't work in modern gameplay.
Generally they are fairly intelligent, with a low tolerence for Type ones. In online debates, they generally pull the most logical arguments. (Though they often make flawed arguments, I definately despise the old "Real hedgehogs aren't blue, nor do they stand on two feet" argument)
They rarely have fancharacters.

Type three -- Blind Fanboy, Unintelligent Intelligent Fanboys, Stupid Franchise Whores, pretty much any combination of those words
Common examples -- As the generally overlooked type of fanboy, not many examples can be pulled from my hat.
A sort of "middleman" for the other two types, type three fanboys generally use the same arguments as type twos, but don't truley understand said arguments. They are usually at one extreme or another, when it comes for tolerence for type ones.
They generally have type one style fancharacters, but often modified to be less stupid, or passed off with the excuse "I'm too attached to him/her"

So yeah, my new definition of the word. It includes alot of people who no one ever really thought of fanboys before, hence why I'm posting it. Hopefully to make those people think a bit more.

You may now proceed with the flaming of me, due to the fact that by this definition, nearly everyone on this forum is a fanboy of one type or another.

Draykon's Fanboy Essay said:
They will often dislike perfectly good games, simply because of not being "true to the classics" even if said classics wouldn't work in modern gameplay.

To back that up, Sonic Heroes was more true to the classics than SA... However it was executed far more poorly.

The type 2 sort I find familiar... but I personally think that games should be judged by what they are... games. Not movies or stories... they are games, and the former two medias should only supplement its quality as a game. A franchise game can be judged by their relation to the franchise, or their gameplay quality.

A good critic will judge a franchise game by both with no one side outweighing the other except where fit. For example A game called 'Sonic 4' should not be so drastically different from the previous one. If a game like ShtH, Sonic Heroes, or probably even Knuckles Chaotix would probably make poor 'sequels' because of their different premise... Sonic CD would probably not be considered as good a suquel as Sonic 2, while it could still be considered a better game. SA2 is not a good sequel to SA, but not necessarily a bad game as a result. I personally am struggling not to judge Sonic games by their 'trueness' solely, but also by their gameplay quality. The sci-fi in SA2, may make it a poor sequel to the fantastic (as in fantasy-ish), but I cannot say it makes it a bad game.

Therefore, fanboy type-2 isn't necessarily the 'correct' category due to this point. Type-2 users have to consider a game's playability, and not just the trueness... Sonic Heroes revisits the corny, thematic feel of the original, but when you throw in the cutscenes you wish it had a more structured theme. Sonic Heroes has the setup of the originals with two acts and a boss, but the bosses often have nothing to do with the area. You fight a plane three times, fight a rival twice, and wave attacks twice. (Egg Emporer belongs in Hang Castle kthxbai) It has Special Stages, but they are practically unplayable with the halfpipe mechanic crossing with a full 3d engine. The final boss is not even a demon like the other new games, being more classic in that respect, but Metal Sonic is actually hard to lose against and the team mechanic dummies the potentially awesome boss to a pathetic Sonic wannabe trying to rule the world.

Therefore, to completely agree with that definition, one would have to say there is no reasonably category of fanboys.

EDIT: As a note, the good old 'real hedgehogs' argument has always seemed to be an if-all-else-fails argument to me. It is also probably the only argument a type-2 would typically give, that would hold any meaning for a type-1 fanboy.

fanboy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back