[Open Assets] SRB2 Riders 2.46.5

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The map HUD icons are broken in 1280x800... the player position icons don't scale to the screen.

Got a list of bugs/quirks here:

-Egg Factory has bad framerate, and lags almost everyone

-Speaking of Egg Factory, occasionally you'll be unable do any tricks on the first ramp, I'm not sure what caused this, because it happened to someone else, and not me

-You can clip through the corners of the fan in Egg Factory

-Jumps that have a steep "incline" will cause you to continuously do tricks straight up until you press the jump button

-Flight types slow down when they land from flying, instead of keeping their speed.

-You can clip through the ice tunnel in Ice Factory

-Knuckles sliding across the floor in circuit race makes him pretty much useless

Personally I think everyone that has thok should have double jump, so we can actually use other characters in circuit mode. Some other people have suggested adding turbulence to the game, although I'm not sure if you've already tried doing that before, I can't remember. They also suggested gaining air when you have 100 rings, which is what happened in the Riders games, I never noticed that, though.

Another issue is that players using the Mega Mushroom can squash people using the Star. In Mario Kart Wii, players using the star could topple the Mega Mushroom users, but they don't reduce in size either.

They also suggested gaining air when you have 100 rings, which is what happened in the Riders games, I never noticed that, though.
Heh, I kind of assumed that that was already the case. Yeah, that should definitely be in there.

They also suggested gaining air when you have 100 rings, which is what happened in the Riders games, I never noticed that, though.

It doesn't happen in the original Riders games. It was a balance fix I snuck in in 1.46.4X (the very first change on that page), to give an alternate mechanism to regain air and give rings some use even if you already had 100 of them. I'm honestly surprised nobody took notice until now.

Last edited:
I actually noticed that Inu. I didn't know you were the one who did that, I felt it was an awesome idea and I had no idea why it didn't return in this version. Why was it cut?

Well when I ported Riders from 1.09.4 to 2.0, I wanted to make his changes permanent to the game. So I renamed his #ifdef _X_ to #ifdef RIDERS. Eventually, I found that code and I was all "wtf is this doing here??". I added that back, though. I will also try to make the boost use less Air, lose air even slower this time, and gain more air when doing tricks.

Also, I forgot to make Riders compatible with widescreen players. I only focused on 640x400. If 1280x800 is the default widescreen resolution, I'll make it compatible to that.

So, earlier today, I noticed something: I play Mario Kart mode a LOT. Yet, I play Riders very little in comparison. Why is that, I thought? And I think I know why.

While Mario Kart is very accurate to the source material and is very easy to mod for (Possibly even easier than vanilla maps), Riders plays like a VERY watered down version of Riders. Tricks can't be done like they can in Riders 1, the courses lose their rotate-the-stick gimmicks (which were stupid anyway) and get them replaced with Zoom Tubes (which are worse because now you have NO control over yourself, when at least stick rotations made you go faster the more you spun), and the visuals are lacking in many of the levels. And while you decided to drop the Babylon levels for original ones, most of them are not that good (Ice Factory is downright awful).

Another thing is that in pretty much all of the courses, your type of character barely changes the way you play the course. Different stats is fine, but the shortcuts are meaningless in some of them as few of them make much of a difference in terms of how you play (especially in the custom stages where they're right next to eachother). For example, some of the maps in Riders have extra fly shortcuts because Fly types are the slowest, and obstacles were randomly placed in a lot of levels so Power types could easily crush them as the speed and fly types run into them, with fly types having a slight advantage with the easier turning. Here, however, the differing types don't add to the experience much at all.

In Mario Kart mode, the stats matter a little more, as the quicker acceleration and tighter turning of the fly karts, the top specs of the speed types, and the middle ground of the Power types add quite a bit of differentiation between types, and Sonic R we already know about (Though, those maps could have been tweaked to allow more fly/float/glide cuts since you can't thok anymore), leaving Riders with little difference for these types at all.

So in general, I think the "ported" riders maps can, for the most part, deal with at least some tweaks and liberties from the original designs. As for the Babylon courses, most of them need a lot of changes or even a few redos like Ice Factory. Riders would really benefit from this. It's pretty odd that Riders is probably the worst mode here, despite it being the NAMESAKE of the mod, and while it is obvious you poured lots of work and love into this mod, the level designs need some real work done to make it great. And while its great people are making MK maps, some guides on some of the mechanics for Riders mode and getting some custom maps for it would be great.

This Mod is Impressive, I admit, but somethings bug me. When I play this version and the last release in v.1.09, I notice its harder to control the character, especialy in Mario Kart mode. It takes a while to get used to.

This Mod is Impressive, I admit, but somethings bug me. When I play this version and the last release in v.1.09, I notice its harder to control the character, especialy in Mario Kart mode. It takes a while to get used to.

Hold Strafe to drift in Riders, hold Taunt to drift in Mario Kart.

Your Welcome.

I really do enjoy this mod even though it has it's fair share of glitches and bugs. But, the best part about it is messing around and doing things that aren't meant to be done. Kudos to everyone involved in this because you all did and outstanding job! I really hope that most of the bugs are fixed in future installments.

And being bored like I was this morning, I decided to put together a video of me exploring and goofing around. Hopefully this points out some bugs since I am too lazy to explain what I have seen and done.

Oh, been meaning to ask: would it be possible to put in battle mode for the Mario Kart rotation? Because while exploring Azure City, I found a basketball court and a football field and it just made me think if there were any plans for some kind of battle mode...

D00D64, I keep telling this to everyone: those old levels will be scrapped and remade. Please don't judge the Babylon stages, or even the Heroes stages. Only judge Egg Factory, Babylon Garden, and Sky Babylon.

Oh, been meaning to ask: would it be possible to put in battle mode for the Mario Kart rotation? Because while exploring Azure City, I found a basketball court and a football field and it just made me think if there were any plans for some kind of battle mode...
Oh god would a battle mode be amazing!

D00D64, I keep telling this to everyone: those old levels will be scrapped and remade. Please don't judge the Babylon stages, or even the Heroes stages. Only judge Egg Factory, Babylon Garden, and Sky Babylon.

Actually, Metal City/Chase are perfectly fine; they serve their purpose and don't look as ugly as the others. the Babylon Garden and Sky Babyon stages, however, NEED to ditch those zoom tubes, or at least add SOMETHING to make it look less like your character just flies into the air for no reason. Same with Egg Factory's tube.

Also, I started progress on Cloud Cradle X today, but I got so bored of it, I couldn't bother to finish it.

uxsQc.png

So I put all the players in a hole and stuck them there. I may love to torture players, but darn it, I'm just so lazy that I can't be bothered to make a whole stage to do so, so enjoy your box!

zSRA6.png

uITWi.png

Riders stages are a lot harder to make than MK stages due to the way player shortcuts work and having it be completable without air and all that jazz. But I'll keep at it! Just don't expect this stage too soon. It will be done eventually, I almost can promise that!

ALSO THE WORD ZONE IS NON-CANON I SWEAR

Also, if battle mode was added, I would be one of the first to support it!

Last edited:
Actually, Metal City/Chase are perfectly fine; they serve their purpose and don't look as ugly as the others.

I wouldn't say that; I've always found it annoying how you always crash into that wall just before reaching the finish line again in Metal City. If Metal City as it is now's not being scrapped, please do something about that wall.

I wouldn't say that; I've always found it annoying how you always crash into that wall just before reaching the finish line again in Metal City. If Metal City as it is now's not being scrapped, please do something about that wall.

Ah, right. I always forget that wall. I've grown so accustom to it I forgot. Yeah, needs serious fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back