[Open Assets] SRB2 Riders 2.46.5

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way we can get a srb2db config, or at least a linedef/sector effect text guide? I'd really like to see if I can make some stages, especially since the Riders selection is mostly ports...

EDIT:
Already working on something...

tqWJz.png

Last edited:
2.0.6, if it was for 1.09.4 it wouldn't even be allowed in the releases...

Anyway, I was almost sure this mod was dead, nice to see it's still being worked on.

You can get the 1.09.4 one in the outdated releaes.

Wow I can't believe it got ported to 2.0. This was a mod that I found shortly after I found SRB2 just before 2,0 came out. Unfortunately I never played a real MP game on the 1.09.4 version of this mod but it sure was fun to get to know the levels.

Then, today I played a real net game and it was amazing. Controls were quite different from the other version that it took me a few races to understand them. Mario Kart is my favorite mode but the 2 other were great too. It was fun since you add a few levels but it was sad also that you remove some too (like the Sonic R stages).

Anyway, great mod and keep up the good work for future versions and bug fixes.

Wow, only out for 1-2 days and there is already levels being made for the MK mode....

And I am on of those:
srb20207.png

srb20209.png

Anyways, out of all the modes, I think the kart mode is the best. Also, at the jump after the last monitors in Metal City, the player can get stuck between the signs

Okay there's a problem.
srb20015.png
srb20016.png
I've got massive lag in these sections of Egg Factory. I think you'd better fix this before it breaks Multiplayer.

EDIT: As you can see on 2nd picture, map sucks.

Last edited:
Eh? I wa sjust racing through them.
No, you were not racing through the Sonic R maps. They were deleted. IF you mean "Sonic R mode", that's just normal Race with some modifications. It's not a separate gametype.

but thok is a weird combination of thok and double jump. I really dislike this change, as a large part of what made Sonic R mode so good was the lack of thok
Have you actually played netgames with this? This "weird combination" is actually pretty balanced. Mostly because you can't spam it like a thok since the whole move takes much longer. I like it.

Any way we can get a srb2db config, or at least a linedef/sector effect text guide? I'd really like to see if I can make some stages, especially since the Riders selection is mostly ports...
A SRB2DB config is in the first post, and I'm gonna try and make some guides on the Wiki today.

No, you were not racing through the Sonic R maps. They were deleted. IF you mean "Sonic R mode", that's just normal Race with some modifications. It's not a separate gametype.

Oh, I misread his post, my bad.

Have you actually played netgames with this? This "weird combination" is actually pretty balanced. Mostly because you can't spam it like a thok since the whole move takes much longer. I like it.

To be honest, not really. I suppose the extra height WOULD balance things out Of course, now Jet and Wave are useless unless they get thok too...

A SRB2DB config is in the first post, and I'm gonna try and make some guides on the Wiki today.

Now how did I not notice that? :P

EDIT:
UoWo5.png

Also, this points out a bug: Turning the HUD off doesn't remove your life icon.

Last edited:
Can't believe I missed this topic. It's nice to know it's finally out, well in beta at least. I'll try to download it as soon as possible. I'd like to see what you included since the beta I played.

Alright so when we release our racing levels, should we still post it in the submissions section?

I'm gonna critique Mario Kart mode here, seeing as it's pretty much the only mode I play at the moment. It's already obvious Single Player is incomplete and buggy, and I'm not gonna drive that point home.

Anyway, for the most part...I love it. It totally blew me away. I played Mario Kart DS for years and years, and I was amazed to find how similar the controls felt. It took almost no getting used to. And I loved all the little changes that added up to make it feel like the real thing. Best of all, it's really, really easy to design new tracks...Rainbow Road took only a few hours of work in total.

This is, quite simply, the gold standard for mods. It does everything that a good mod should do--dramatically change gameplay while still working within the appropriate constraints of the engine and graphics style.

With all the mushy stuff out of the way, it's time for the nitpicking. I have several complaints about minor issues that I'd like to see resolved in the next version.

1. Unlike in real Mario Kart, item frequency doesn't seem to be weighted by your position. I often snag a Mega Mushroom or a Lightning Bolt while I'm in first place, or get a bunch of green shells and bananas when I'm in last. Weighting item frequency is a crucial part of the game, as it constitutes a negative feedback loop which gives the laggers a fighting chance and makes the race more interesting.

2. Shrunken-down characters shouldn't also have their ramp-sector threshold shrunken. In vanilla SRB2 this is perfectly fine, and even desirable, but in Mario Kart mode the players often have to drive up tons of steps, and sometimes the steps are slightly too high for shrunken characters to reach. This means that an already-handicapped player can get stuck for several seconds. I know of at least two levels where this is an issue: Peach's Castle, and my own Rainbow Road. This may speak more to poor level design of the tracks than anything else, but perhaps this is still something you want to think about.

3. In a lot of the included stages, it's way too easy to miss a Star Post, which can instantly kill your chances in the race. Again, this is far more bad level design than bad mod design, but perhaps those stages should be tinkered with.

4. Is it possible to throw Green Shells behind you? If it is, I haven't been able to do it. That's a positively vital function of Green Shells, seeing as they're supposed to be used more frequently by the leaders (disregarding my previous statement about this mod's lack of item weighting).

It's possible to throw green shells behind, just make sure to hold the reverse button while you are throwing it.

Oh and KO.T.E, those Mario Kart levels look nice

Last edited:
Of course that works. Shells can be thrown back by holding Down, and bananas can be thrown forward by holding Up. With a Red Shell that's thrown backwards, it doesn't home in on a target.

Oops. Sorry for the confusion. I tried it out a few times and the shell looked like it disappeared and I couldn't stop it anywhere. Using cam_rotate however, I saw that it does work in fact.

Srb2riders is back??

I don't need it...
I don't need it...
I don't need it...

I NEED IT!!

Maybe the last version I got of this was insanely outdated, but this is just amazing. It definitely takes the races up to a new level, and race is one of my favorite modes, other than co-op. Wasn't there supposed to be some bot usage though? I thought I remembered seeing that in the topic for the last version. Maybe I was mistaken though. Anyway, definitely anticipating the final release.

Fawfulfan's post for srb2 riders 2.46.5

2. It's been a while...what am I supposed to do when I'm twirling through the air? I always get a "C" on landing, and I have no idea how to do any better.

Fawfulfan, There is a way to get a higher rank, All you gotta do is Hold the jump button and release at same time when your being flung up into the air,
I got a rank X. :P

Attachments

• srb20039.png
    srb20039.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 768
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back