Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I decided to get back to my reviews. Fortunately, there isn't nearly as much to address as there was back when I stopped doing them, so it's much less of a hassle. The one for Sunshine Atoll was written in about ten minutes. We can of course still do the feedback netgames we've established a while ago, and I think a combination of both the netgames and the written reviews could help you quite a lot.

Reviews have been moved to a more recent post in this thread.

Last edited:
Clumsily and wisely, the Sonic's emblems are the most easy to find, but they are also the most diffcult to get.
Well, then, I'm always waiting to the next version. I'm a great fan of this mod, you know. But... will it have another version?

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I may know that corrector is a brazillian user, just like me. So he used OVNI instead of UFO.
Do UFOs kidnapped you during the level? I have never reached this part. I wanna see it!!

Well, there will definitely be a v6.3, which I am working on right now. Whereas most of Tortured Planet's past updates have been either tiny bugfixes or grand-scale upgrades, v6.3 is going to be the first update ever to be somewhere in between.

I do also intend to design v7.0, but as I said, my time in college will be limited. It may be that I will have to resort to more instances of v6.3...moderate-scale updates that take transforming the project one step at a time.

Please before making v7.0 try to solve all the bugs and glitches. I think that you read all post to take note the bugs but if the v6.3 has bugs will you make a v6.4 quickly to fix the issues?

for v6.3 try to put effort in bugfix, mistakes, lags, textures problems and after all the level design (trying to get the ideas you like more).

Cannot wait to see the news textures, DDZ could became one of the better zones in the pack, since it has a good gameplay.

I'm not sure anyone noticed this, I didn't read all comments to check but in AAZ act 1, in the place with fire spitting from ground that goes... umm... I dont know how to explain it without a screenshot.. circle- like. Anyway on top of it theres a split to a red spring (which is new) and a place with eggshields (the older path), and when i touch the ground the eggshields stand on, I die. Anyway to fix it? My guess is that the "floor" actually is a deathpit

I don't know if this has already been said, but...
I found a redwall in Flooded Fray on one of the pipes or something.
The level also crashed twice. SIGSEV, ya know?

I fell to a death pit in LGZ2 to my death or so I thought as I didn't die in the pit (God mode was not on). I can't remember where it is though so I'll search.

I may know that corrector is a brazillian user, just like me. So he used OVNI instead of UFO.
Do UFOs kidnapped you during the level? I have never reached this part. I wanna see it!!
I assumed OVNI meant UFO from the context. And yes, in AAZ1, there is a section where you stand on a platform, and a UFO swoops down from the sky and beams you up. You then have to hijack the UFO's controls to make it crash. It's the most complicated gimmick I have ever created.

Now, to address everyone else, 6.3 won't just be about improving DDZ. It will also feature whatever bugfixes I can make, plus improvements to SAZ.

Now, to address everyone else, 6.3 won't just be about improving DDZ. It will also feature whatever bugfixes I can make, plus improvements to SAZ.
Congratulations, you just encouraged me to hold back any further reviews until v6.3 is out, so you don't start working on those as well :P

Now, let's be serious, it's okay if you improve SAZ, since there's not much to be done, but you should probably not start on ECZ as well, or we might not see a release at all. Actually, I think a zone-by-zone update schedule would in fact be a good idea. You could focus on much smaller parts, which would help with your restricted time, but we would still see significant results in each update.

I actually do have plans to update ECZ too...but nowhere near as much. I'll just be focusing on the simplest, easiest-to-fix problems that you pointed out. For example, I could tinker with the yellow blocks and with the right path at the beginning of Act 2 in a matter of minutes. Textural improvement to Act 1, on the other hand, would be something that I would have to hold off on for another version.

I assumed OVNI meant UFO from the context. And yes, in AAZ1, there is a section where you stand on a platform, and a UFO swoops down from the sky and beams you up. You then have to hijack the UFO's controls to make it crash. It's the most complicated gimmick I have ever created.
Wow! An UFO... How didn't I see it?
And let me see... gimmix are commands just like... press a button and open a door?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

And now, there's an purpose to have the emblems and emeralds. Then, I think you won't change the emblems' locations anymore. Will you? If not, let me ask you: Did you put the emblems on Wiki, if you're not too much busy?

Fawful fan i think that if you want to improve a little the level pack, you have to start in the last zone and go back zone-by-zone, making better the worst ones and then the better ones. I have the sensation that the level you improve first is the better level i see in the level pack, and AAZ act 2 and SWZ need improvements in every aspect.

SAZ is great. The unique complaint is the placement of the Robo Hoods in act 2, they are bad placed.

ECZ is great also you have to improve the details that SpiritCrusher said you.

Today i get a good idea for LGZ for v7.0 if you don't have time for v6.3. In the eggman office part (first you have to make it less square to make a better visual, and make a window door near the stairs) you could hide near the computers 5 or 6 switchs, one per each computer and only one of this open the big door that allow you get the 2D part, but if you press the incorrect door the red alarm star to make noises and the window near the stairs open and send you outside the office and you lose a 1-up, and restart the level obviously.
This is an idea i think you could make it better.

I post my ideas here because this is one of my favourites level packs, and i want to see it better.

Good luck!

Fawful fan i think that if you want to improve a little the level pack, you have to start in the last zone and go back zone-by-zone, making better the worst ones and then the better ones. I have the sensation that the level you improve first is the better level i see in the level pack, and AAZ act 2 and SWZ need improvements in every aspect.
Considering he won't have much free time, it's probably easier to work on the zones that need less work. While I agree Spacewalk and Alien Armageddon needs the most work, fixing them up will also take the longest time.

Ouch. Man, I have no words. First, I was abducted. Second, I escaped! That was COOL, guys, I never player this before!!!
*in shock*
I am right about the gimmick explanation?

The UFO's gimnick is an epic win 10/10, one of the uniques great things in AAZ and in SRB2. Is why i want to see something similar in AAZ act 2, but a bigger UFO (with Dr Eggman's logo) with more gimnicks inside, and it could be the second ship in which eggman went to the tortured planet after send sonic to SWZ.

That might be a tad repetitive to have two UFO sequences. Still, it's a tempting idea, and I will consider doing it in a future version.

That might be a tad repetitive to have two UFO sequences. Still, it's a tempting idea, and I will consider doing it in a future version.

There's nothing wrong with the first one but a second might be repetitive yes.
I don't understand the puzzle inside it but I eventually did it (somehow).
Perhaps make the UFO longer, I thought I would be in a dangerous UFO rather than a one room puzzle sector. AAZ1's end is an epic Bowser Castle reference though!

Reviews are coming along nicely, but I warn you that they almost read like instruction manuals of "What I expect you to do on your level pack" right now. In Snowcap Nimbus Zone Act 1 alone, my review suggests to completely remake two sections of the level (one of them rather long) and extensively re-texture just about all of the stage, among other things.

I know this all sounds very demanding (and almost hypocritical, it's your level pack after all, not mine), but I try to suggest only things that I believe will improve the levels, and I try not to leave anything out. You've shown with v6.0 that you're not reluctant to totally transform many sections of your levels to improve them, so I'll just assume you'll be fine with my ridiculous demands. It's still up to you what of it you actually want to do.

The thing is, I have the feeling these reviews are complete. If you read a review and do everything I request in it, I will consider the respective stage to be perfect. That fact alone should make you quite proud. Before v6.0 was released, I had a feeling that you had come to your limit in improving these stages and I feared you could hit a point where you have done everything you can to improve the stages but they still don't feel flawless. That changed with v6.0. The things you did convinced me that if you improve these levels at the right spots, each of them can become an awesome stage in its own right.

That's why I do these reviews, because while they are very demanding, they show that it's indeed possible to make this pack quite perfect. I hope you consider as much of these suggestions as you can, but of course, there are things you might disagree with. If so, please tell me that. For example, if I want to see a certain room removed but you want to keep it, please try to explain why. That gives me in turn a better understanding of what your vision for this pack is, and helps me give feedback.

Geez, aren't I demanding? I always feel like I'm taking everything too seriously and putting too much effort into things that are just a hobby when I write ultra-long posts like this one. But hey, it's fun for me, and whoever wants to laugh at me may be free to do so ;)

There's nothing wrong with the first one but a second might be repetitive yes.

Not necessary could be repetitive. While that UFO in act 1 is an small and a simple UFO, you could make another in act 2 more bigger, complex and with Dr Eggman's face, and it could be Dr Eggman's second ship and his more powerful weapon. with this artifact he enslaved all tortured planet alliens. Inside sonic must pass over a lot dangerous gimnicks and he must find the autodestruction switch.

But before make this UFO i think that you have to make some other improvements like the enemy placement in act 2. You improve a lot the things placement in act 1.

I don't understand the puzzle inside it but I eventually did it (somehow).

There are two panels in the switch room you have to make that the pictures that you see in the two pannels became equal with the same colors.

Another thing i have to say is that you are a genious if you make withouth help the UFO's sequence and the switches puzzles rooms in GCZ2 and AAZ1. Those thinks looks excellent in the level pack.

I think that the official SRB2 must include something like those thinks.

Yes, those puzzles were indeed completely original...at least in terms of construction. The UFO control puzzle was based somewhat on a puzzle switch in Ice Palace Zone Act 2, where you had to keep hitting a button until the two pictures matched. But my version is a lot more complicated.

Let me clarify how the puzzle works. There are four buttons: one green, one red, and two blue. Pressing the green button activates the puzzle, displaying the left-hand and right-hand pictures. Pressing a blue button changes the left-hand picture and raises the other button (in this way, you go back and forth between the blue buttons to go through the pictures). The red button is the "finish" button, and tells the UFO that you are done configuring the left-hand picture. If you failed to get the pictures to match, you hear the "invalid" sound, and everything turns off, requiring you to push the green button and restart the process. If you solved the puzzle, all the buttons go down and you gain access to the UFO's controls (and crash it right away!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back