July/August 2011 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, here are my MP votes at last for the people who kept nagging about them in IRC. Single Player later (hopefully).

== MATCH ==

Siberian Base Zone by akb778 - 4/10
- There is not really anything particularly interesting here besides the "base", which even then is one crummy little building. I had some amusing shoot-and-cover fights in it, but beyond that the map is...dull
- I laughed when I found boxes with all five shields clustered right next to one another. As bad an idea as that is, I suppose that shoots the replay value up; that is until everybody else figures out where they are...
- That chasm path is terrible, as are just putting dead ends in for no reason. And I can't say i'm a fan of floating platforms that can crush you by suprise for no other purpose than they can
- Rings are spaced too far apart and thus not a simple matter to collect in a hurry
- Non-threatening looking water that inflicts damage is also not cool

SemiRuin Forest Zone by Zipper - 2/10
- One WTF after another. This map is only memorable for how much nonsense it contains, it certainly isn't any fun - well, actually I threw on a pity point for being able to hide in the bush FOFs and suprise people, that was funny. But the map just sucks
- The underground river route is one of the most horribly (and pointlessly) claustrophobic things i've ever seen in SRB2. For anyone else who doesn't know how to escape that crap, just stay underwater and jump out once in a while to see if you've made it out.

Splice Lab Zone by Fawfulfan - 5/10
- Wait nevermind, this is claustrophobia
- Interesting in a small game, but even having 5-6 people turns it into a chaotic bloodbath. That in itself can be amusing, but only for so long
- The fact that every room (all 4 of them) looks almost the same doesn't help to not disorient during the madness

Storm Stronghold Zone by Spherallic/Errol/RedEnchilada/SpiritCrusher - 8/10
- Now this was a pleasant suprise. It's fun and the layout is great, almost good enough to fit into the vanilla rotation - it just lags a like a mad bitch, but that's the only thing seriously wrong with it
- The least interesting areas are the 2nd floor rooms next to the backyard

Jello Factory Zone by Charybdizs - 6/10
- Still stupid huge. You essentially have to have lots of people and/or everybody trying to pile into one room, or it's H&S Lite
- Maybe work on the layout while you cut the size down, I had a lot of trouble finding my way around here
- The jello blocks are a neat experiment, albeit a buggy one. Going inside of them is...interesting...and most of the time i'm afraid to even step near them. But they are admittedly the most fun part of the map
- You can escape the Cooling Chamber with Knux, but woe be anybody else...

Topanga Lifts Zone by Brawl - 3/10
- I'll admit, it was kind of fun chasing people around this map, but these are still the same random "chuck rubbish at the wall until something sticks" maps you submit every time

Rush Jungle Zone by Scizor300/KO.T.E/Simsmagic - 6/10
- Solid if unremarkable, which is more than can be said for most of the MP maps
- The quicksand doesn't look very dangerous, so naturally it bites when you get caught out/killed by it. Whether it was or wasn't intentional, that bugs me

== CTF ==

Frantic Forest Zone by ThunderNova - 3/10
- The ground level is such a thokfest that the flag can almost be captured twice in the time it takes Tails and Knux to run across the map (unless you have a lot of people). People seem to underestimate how obscenely powerful Sonic is when given any wide open room to run.
- The bases are sort of clever, but since it's hard to fight anywhere else here, people tend to just camp at either end and wait for an enemy to stray into view
- Rather pukish use of textures

Galactic Waterworks Zone by Spherallic - 5/10
- You seem to be already aware of it, but the underwater route accomplishes practically nothing for anybody. I'd just as soon try to hide somewhere that doesn't threaten to kill me instantly all the time, and it's too slow getting from base to base. Why bother? (Addendum: it has occured to me that you can grab an elemental and use that path to drag out loooong stalemates.)
- The dry areas... well, it's a really nice texture job, but without a useful alternate path it's very ordinary
- Speaking for myself, I can't say getting screwed over a lot by falling into those pools in front of the bases is much fun

Molten Canyon Zone by akb778 - 0/10
- Red team can speedrun to victory in 20 seconds due to base exploit and there isn't much blue can do about it. Anybody who knows how to do this probably will, and even if they don't, this little game-breaker can be easily triggered by accident. Fail.
- Aside from the gaping loophole, the map is okay, but the lava in the center area is ineffective at slowing anyone down, flags do not return in lava, and again, floating platforms that can kill are awful

Lethal Filibuster Zone by Fawfulfan - 4/10
- Cute, but (sensing a theme here?) an average map that I am scoring below average because it's just not fun

== CIRCUIT ==

Girder Detour Zone by Fawfulfan - 5/10
- The bottomless holes are simpler to avoid falling into than they look, so once you remove that from the equation, there's not much else to this course

== EDIT: SINGLE PLAYER ==
Been pressed for time lately, just going to get these in with relatively minimal comment and maybe update later. Needless to say, it was one particular map that prompted me to even vote this division...

Red House Zone by Ice - 7/10
Interesting theme changes, I like the abundance of paths. The opening/ending areas seem slightly longer than they need to be. Your spinning bookcases look quite broken

Pipe Towers Zone by Fawfulfan - 8/10
Impressive, at least within the limits of what Mario mode is currently. Kick ass texture work. I jumped for the flagpole at the end and nothing happened :(

Aquatic Temple by Kuba11 - 6/10
Besides the somewhat obnoxious gargoyle puzzle (having to redo it entirely from scratch after death sucks), something about this level that I can't quite place puts me off. It's pretty, but it wasn't as fun as the others somehow

Sonic Dumbventure - Volume 1: Donkey Kracken's Disasterous [sic] Quest by D00D64 - 9/10
Incredible SOCs and polish. Hilarious level all-round. Stuff is stashed practically everywhere; it's refreshing for a change when investigating the nooks and crannies turns up something interesting 90% of the time. What keeps this from being 10 material is there's only one path, which does not do nice things for the replay value, and I can't help but feel Corrupted Donkey Kong Land could've used one or two more maps (I know one got cut). But this rocks. Make the goddamn sequel. And figure out how to tame the retarded save system (note that its' brokenness is not being counted against you in my score).

Midnight Pass Zone, Act 2 by KO.T.E - 6/10
It's solid, but i'm seriously tired of these mostly cookie-cutter GFZ imitation maps. Desperately could've used more enemies than Crawlas and a couple of Buzzes. The rising water climax mostly works, it's just that you need to wall off that stupid fork in the road that leads only to death, remove elemental shields from the level entirely so that it's threatening, and get rid of the random rising instant kill FOF (which I can't imagine there's any need for).

Last edited:
Jello Factory Zone by Charybdizs - 6/10
- Still stupid huge.

Excuse me? I checked in Doom Builder, and it is not any bigger than Storm Stronghold. And seeing as Storm Stronghold also happens to have multiple stories in some places, it makes Jello Factory smaller than Storm Stronghold, in the end.

- Maybe work on the layout while you cut the size down, I had a lot of trouble finding my way around here
Wanna give me some specific examples? Because in all honesty, this sounds like the typical "ur map was too big I didnt know were to go" response that we get on any slightly large map. Setting Sands Zone for example. You're not supposed to know where to go the first time you play a map. That's what makes it new and original.

- You can escape the Cooling Chamber with Knux, but woe be anybody else...
Because Tails can so not fly.
And also, if you read my comments on my map, (which any sane person wouldn't bother to do) you'd see that it was an honest mistake. There should have been a yellow spring to help you exit. Not that it makes any difference scorewise, though.

And I know this isn't even about my map, but I feel the urge to say something...

Galactic Waterworks Zone by Spherallic - 5/10
- You seem to be already aware of it, but the underwater route accomplishes practically nothing for anybody.
I must be one of those out of the ordinary people, then. It may take longer to get to the other persons base, and be more dangerous, but it also serves as a great way to lose attention. I used that path all the time, and it serves as a great advantage to me.

I'm going to be short. I think everyone else have pointed out many things and I don't want to be redundant.

Single Player

Red House Zone by Ice - 7/10
Very misc-y one, dude. It's quite clear you put various "ideas" in one level. Classic SRB2 platforming; it smells the old SRB2 days, a lot.

Give Thwomp Blocks visual cues, please?
Idea: the flag near the castle could go down and the player "wins" some points if the player steps on the flag's base; that's what I expected to see there.

Aquatic Temple by Kuba11 - 7/10
I feel your level is a bit inconsistent: several good parts with interesting platforming and few others a tad bland. Gargoyle puzzles were quite hard to figure out. Yay for music.

Sonic Dumbventure - Volume 1: Donkey Kracken's Disasterous [sic] Quest by D00D64 - 10/10
<EzerArch> Heck D00D64-X!!!
<EzerArch> You forced me to come back
<EzerArch> Finally I had some *actual* fun
And thank you for opening the windows (and breaking the walls) and let the fresh air get in. All I could say now is...

fw0thv.jpg
I played your level at least 10 times or such. Obviously your level has some flaws (already known among us), but your creativity killed every flaw I found there.

And remember:

"ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING" [tm]
Midnight Pass Zone, Act 2 by KO.T.E - 6/10
The transition "normal" vs. upraising darkness was a tad shocking for me: I wasn't a good surprise, I meant, that "surprise" didn't work as I could expect or as it should, that merely happens from nothing (differently from your Eggmansion Zone Act 1).

The ending was frustating, it was all "what? that black thing's gone?", and I went back to see what happened and saw that everything around seemed so............ empty.

--------

EDIT:

This place kinda reminds me of EzerArch's Miscellaneous Trip Zone.
Good to hear people still remember that map. :3

Last edited:
The least interesting areas are the 2nd floor rooms next to the backyard
They're only there as transition rooms to the balconies (which have 30 rings each) and so you can drop down from the grenade room into the hallways on the first floor. Which, granted, isn't of too much interest but could be used for stealth attacks from above.

Give Thwomp Blocks visual cues, please?
Uh, what? You can see the Thwomps a few seconds before you actually end up underneath them, and they are pretty unambiguously textured.
Idea: the flag near the castle could go down and the player "wins" some points if the player steps on the flag's base; that's what I expected to see there.
That was originally what I was going to do. The problem is that no FOF is capable of rendering invisible pixels properly (I tried everything, including Sides Only FOFs), which makes the flag look like barf. I can only display it properly as a middle texture, which means I can't move it up and down.

PolyObjects always look broken. Nothing you can do about it.

A gimmick that can force people to have to noclip is very iffy all on it's own. Not fun when the bookcases stop working halfway through the library. Well, it was still fun, I take that back. Very fun! :D

Moderator Notice:
Sorry dude, but you finished your votes 3 minutes after the deadline. Better luck next time!

This sickens me.

Seriously?

Clocks are not equal around the damn world. Give the guy a bit of grace, three minutes is not that long.

犬夜叉;716501 said:
This sickens me.

Seriously?

Clocks are not equal around the damn world. Give the guy a bit of grace, three minutes is not that long.

3 minutes after the BOARD time, which is the same for everyone if you select the correct timezone, IS equal and HAS a grace period as it is 4 minutes slow. It's been established ages ago, and the voting period in general is 2 weeks! I know it kinda sucks, but rules are rules, and there is no excuse.

The board time at the top of the page doesn't auto-update if you're in the middle of typing some long post, does it?

A little grace is not a bad thing. Thirty minutes over, no. Ten minutes over, still no. But less than five minutes? Why the hell not?

Now for the results:

Single Player:
Red House Zone by Ice - 6.04
Pipe Towers Zone by Fawfulfan - 8.19
Aquatic Temple by Kuba11 - 6.43
Sonic Dumbventure - Volume 1: Donkey Kracken's Disasterous Quest [sic] by D00D64 - 9.58
Midnight Pass Zone, Act 2 by KO.T.E - 7.12

Match:
Siberian Base by akb778 - 4.90
SemiRuin Forest Zone by Zipper - 3.50
Splice Lab Zone by Fawfulfan - 6.00
Storm Stronghold by Spherallic, Errol, RedEnchilada, and SpiritCrusher - 8.78
Jello Factory by Charybdizs - 7.30
MT_Topangalifts by Brawl - 2.40
Rush Jungle by Scizor300, KO.T.E, and Simsmagic - 5.92

Capture the Flag:
Frantic Forest Zone by ThunderNova - 4.55
Galactic Waterworks by Spherallic - 8.33
Molten Canyon by akb778 - 4.91
Lethal Filibuster Zone by Fawfulfan - 5.22

Race:
Girder Detour Zone by Fawfulfan - 7.00

Detailed list for those who want to check my math:

Code:
RHZ 756566N668476665764786256577 = 6.04
PTZ N677878989999888XX7798986988 = 8.19
ATZ 44446748992X6787844777X68767 = 6.43
SD1 XNXXXX9XXXXX89X999X89X3XXX9X = 9.58
MPZ 7588767979886676N76777977566 = 7.12

SBZ 54N586455314 = 4.90
SFZ 34447N333212 = 3.50
SLZ N57777557455 = 6.00
SSZ 9N908XN7XX88 = 8.78
JFZ 65797876XN76 = 7.30
MTT 22104223N323 = 2.40
RJZ 545897445686 = 5.92

FFZ 44542657463 = 4.55
GWZ 75X9N979X95 = 8.33
MCZ 61673767650 = 4.91
LFZ N3755467634 = 5.22

GDZ N6966X5775 = 7.00

And I beat Nuclear Sunset Act 2 as what is CLEARLY the EBST level. What an honor, and what absurd expectations I will never beat!

brbquittingmappingforever

You also managed to ruin my quest of filling the 1P leader board with my name. Revenge will be MINE! MINE I SAY! MMIINNEE!!

On topic: Awesome contest guys. Keep it up!

This is probably one of the greatest contests in history. I mean, Single Player was unbelievable...every SP map was above average, and most of them were significantly so.

Also, yay, two of my maps made it onto the leaderboard! :D

Holy crap... SP was awesome this go around. Match was alright, CTF was bleh outside of Galactic Waterworks (though I will say, had my CTF map Molten Canyon not gotten some of the votes that it did, its average would've been about a point higher than what it eventually got).

EDIT: Contest Average: 6.25

EDIT again: Just noticed something on the Wiki... Ever since the Sep/Oct '10 OLDC (which had an average of 4.03), all OLDCs after that (not counting Mar/Apr '11) have an overall average greater than the preceding OLDC. Does this mean that the next OLDC will have an average of 7? One can never tell...

Last edited:
Wow. So we have 1... 2... 3, 4 5 6 new maps to go on the leader boards? Wow. What have we done? I almost feel that this is a sacrilege, to push so many good maps down in one contest. O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back