SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 04-02-2017   #61
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
To be honest, the idea of slopes just seems like a gimmick to me. I see somewhat limited potential in slanted floors. What am I missing that everyone else is getting so hyped about?
You're missing that obvious entire dimension of geometry and gameplay revolution because of actual dynamic physics application; its like saying Labyrinth is the one true Sonic level and all the slopes in Green Hill are a gimmick. This post is like MonsterIestyn from 2012 traveled from the past with his keyboard intact

Last edited by Iceman404; 04-02-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Iceman404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017   #62
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
To be honest, the idea of slopes just seems like a gimmick to me. I see somewhat limited potential in slanted floors. What am I missing that everyone else is getting so hyped about?
Mostly, physics. When you roll down a slope, you build a ton of speed. Then maybe the slope curves back up and you launch off of it with all the speed you've gotten to reach an area you otherwise couldn't get to. Slopes also change the angle at which you jump, which can cause you to jump higher or lower depending on the angle.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017   #63
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

plus having jump ramps and hills is better than relying on springs for vertical movement alone.
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #64
Lach
what the thok mate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaber View Post
plus having jump ramps and hills is better than relying on springs for vertical movement alone.
This I agree with. Using physics to get around still remains one of the best game concepts ever conceived, at least in my opinion. Springs are really the only non-level-specific gimmick SRB2 and other classic style Sonic games have, which is fine as is because that's MUCH fewer gimmicks than the recent official games have, but using slopes to further reduce spring abundance is favorable.

The loop displayed in that gif IS player propelled, right? Automated or pre-determined path loops seem gimmicky.
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #65
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

It is player-propelled, but as said before the loop is nowhere near well-supported enough for any sort of main game usage, since it relies on a gravity hack. (If you notice, Sonic stutters a bit when crossing the 90/270 degree angle marks, due to the trick used.) It's more a cool GIF than anything substantial.

The closest you'll see to that in vanilla SRB2 is some quarter-pipe shenanigans:

Old 04-03-2017   #66
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

I have to wonder though, if you're rolling fast enough, could a ceiling quarter pipe still "throw" sonic without the gravity hack?
Old 04-03-2017   #67
Lach
what the thok mate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEnchilada View Post
If you notice, Sonic stutters a bit when crossing the 90/270 degree angle marks, due to the trick used.
Yeah, I did notice that. I actually also conceived of a pseudo-loop idea involving gravity changes, and I also did not bother to try it out because I knew it would get way to messy to be stable. Heh. The way it looks now is much cleaner than what I had in mind anyway.
Old 04-03-2017   #68
Fodder
SRB2 = Sonic OVA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman404 View Post
You're missing that obvious entire dimension of geometry and gameplay revolution because of actual dynamic physics application; its like saying Labyrinth is the one true Sonic level and all the slopes in Green Hill are a gimmick. This post is like MonsterIestyn from 2012 traveled from the past with his keyboard intact
ok I think I got it ._.
Old 04-03-2017   #69
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaber View Post
I have to wonder though, if you're rolling fast enough, could a ceiling quarter pipe still "throw" sonic without the gravity hack?
Sorta, but don't expect it to work nearly as well as it does in the classics. You certainly aren't getting all the way around a loop without the gravity hack, though. The main useful thing here is quarter-pipes being usable on the ground, which opens up a lot of stuff for level design.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #70
Sdudyoy
The Shy guy.

Despite this being the April Fools joke, I now want this in SRB2. Maybe as an Add-on?
Sdudyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #71
Lach
what the thok mate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Sorta, but don't expect it to work nearly as well as it does in the classics. You certainly aren't getting all the way around a loop without the gravity hack, though. The main useful thing here is quarter-pipes being usable on the ground, which opens up a lot of stuff for level design.
Hm, I just thought. Wouldn't it be possible to make loops by transferring the player's forward momentum into upwards momentum? Then as he/she moves further towards the top of the loop, the slope naturally pushes the player backwards into the rear of the loop. Then gravity does the rest.
Old 04-03-2017   #72
FuriousFox
AKA FuriousFox
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lach View Post
Hm, I just thought. Wouldn't it be possible to make loops by transferring the player's forward momentum into upwards momentum? Then as he/she moves further towards the top of the loop, the slope naturally pushes the player backwards into the rear of the loop. Then gravity does the rest.
I think that's exactly what glaber was saying, and what Mystic was saying wouldn't work well. You're going to lose too much momentum being slid backwards by the ceiling slope.
FuriousFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #73
GreenKnight9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousFox View Post
Take a look at the link in the news post.

icame.jpeg
GreenKnight9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #74
Shadon
Just kind of an asshole

This update more than any other will have that characteristic where you could cut it open and basically see the entire history of it's development from back when it was just a simple test without even a playermodel, and the massive revalation of slopes to the main levels is only going to make it more obvious.
Shadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #75
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

now if only the lighting of the walls could match that of the ceiling and floors.
Old 04-04-2017   #76
Ice
Pretty chill guy

I'm late, but this is BULLSHIT. Of all the rich roster of unique and fun characters of the Sonic universe, you chose Big the Cat? BIG THE FUCKING CAT??? Where the hell is Shadow the Hedgehog? Or Nack the Weasel? Or Zero THE Artificial Hedgehog?????

May as well make Bull the Shit while you're at it, or maybe Ring the Ring, where you spend the whole game as a ring in a corner of the first pit of ACZ1 and the only way to beat the level is to wait to be collected by an incompetent failure noob who somehow manages to fall in??? SOUNDS FUNNER TO ME

Fishing? FISHING? Look, okay, how's Big gonna fish when he doesn't have a fishing licence? OR bait? SRB2 doesn't have worms!!! Just look at that fishing pole. No port and starboard attachments, no turbo-drive? Did he get his pole from Wal-Mart??

I completely detest the direction that SRB2 is heading in and I will no longer keep paying my subscription fee. Good bye.
Old 04-04-2017   #77
Kaysakado

For what it's worth, I made a really hacky script a while back where you could run on the ceiling until you went too slow or fell off, and it was good fun to dick around with. I could see a proper implementation being used with quarter pipes to great effect, recreating scenes sort of like this from Lava Reef Zone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7T...ew?usp=sharing
Maps 1, 2, and 3 are relevant... 4 and 5 are unfinished experiments. Honestly not sure what 6 is.
Old 04-04-2017   #78
RomioTheBadass
Right there, Criminal Scum!

^ It's kinda like the solution I suggested lol, But I can already see the flaws. If you play as a flying character and sweep fast under the slope, Gravity gets flipped for no reason.
Old 04-04-2017   #79
Rumia1
worries too much

That could easily be fixed by telling the game not to flip you if you're thokking, this would fix a whirlwind shield jump as well.
Rumia1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017   #80
-CG7244-
*This guy is making sprites

A "Big" Announcement, that explains all, I'm hyped to see a 4th in the game!