SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Help

Old 03-25-2017   #1
Classic

Default SRB2Win.exe Deleted Itself While Connecting To Master Server

Okay, let me keep this simple. this morning, I started up SRB2 to play multiplayer. Nothing wrong with that. When I tried connecting to the master server, SRB2 closed itself. I didn't think much of it. Soon after, I went out for the day. When I came home later, when I clicked my shortcut, it told me that the file for SRB2 got deleted. I went to the folder SRB2 was in, every important file was still intact, except the SRB2Win.exe file (The file I use to play SRB2), which was deleted. I was wondering what I should do to fix this. Can someone help? Thanks.

Last edited by Classic; 03-25-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #2
Sapheros
That guy that ports

If you happen to be using "avast!" apparently it's latest update detected a false positive in SRB2 and will proceed to nuke the .exe from your PC, it will also keep the .exe hostage as long as "avast!" is running, your best option is to uninstall it asap if you want to play SRB2 again.
Old 03-26-2017   #3
Prime 2.0
Actually a decent lazy bum

Can't you just whitelist SRB2win.exe?
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017   #4
Steelie
hakuna matata..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime 2.0 View Post
Can't you just whitelist SRB2win.exe?
Here's how. Don't uninstall it, getting rid of an anti-virus is one of the worst things you can do for your PC.

My suckish channel for SRB2 (and cats).
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017   #5
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapheros View Post
If you happen to be using "avast!" apparently it's latest update detected a false positive in SRB2 and will proceed to nuke the .exe from your PC, it will also keep the .exe hostage as long as "avast!" is running, your best option is to uninstall it asap if you want to play SRB2 again.
Uninstalling an antivirus is a bad idea. It will make your PC very weak and vulnerable to viruses. Besides, this isn't my PC so I can't really delete the antivirus. And how did you know that I use Avast?
Old 03-26-2017   #6
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic View Post
And how did you know that I use Avast?
It isn't the first time that Avast has apparently deleted srb2win.exe for no apparent reason. I forget if it was reported on the MB or on IRC at #srb2fun, but I've certainly know others have had the problem before.

In any case this isn't a bug with SRB2, but a problem with Avast evidently, so I've moved this thread to the "Help" forum.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017   #7
XleederTH
íReremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic View Post
Uninstalling an antivirus is a bad idea. It will make your PC very weak and vulnerable to viruses. Besides, this isn't my PC so I can't really delete the antivirus. And how did you know that I use Avast?
Well, I've using my pc without antivirus since 2.5 years. The antivirus sucks. (the trick is just don't join in weird and stupidity webs that looks like has virus. Always I enter the same websites all the days.)
Old 03-27-2017   #8
Prime 2.0
Actually a decent lazy bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by XleederTH View Post
Well, I've using my pc without antivirus since 2.5 years. The antivirus sucks. (the trick is just don't join in weird and stupidity webs that looks like has virus. Always I enter the same websites all the days.)
This really does not help you if a website you visit, or the advertising service it uses is compromised. A malicious hacker does not have to own the website you're visiting to attack you and its other visitors if they can just pwn it instead!
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote