SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Shadow The Hedgehog Details »»
Shadow The Hedgehog
Version: 2.1.14, by Speedwagon (likes to assault raccoons) Speedwagon is offline
Developer Last Online: May 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (14 votes - 4.86 average)
Released: 06-26-2015 Last Update: Never Installs: 9
Characters

Hey guys! It's been at least a year since I first started project OWTHEEDGE. I hope you guys have fun with him! :)

Shadow's primary ability is Chaos Control. Use the directional keys to warp in any direction of your choosing. Tap jump while in midair to warp upwards and spin to go downwards. You can use this ability up to two times. You can also use homing attack on enemies when using your primary near enemies. In Match, use Chaos Control to warp away and mindgame your foes.

Another neat feature to note about Shadow is his air-cancel ability. Normally after a chaos control, you are left suspended in the air for about a second. You can cancel this so that you can drop down faster by pressing spin directly after a chaos control!

Shadow has a unique running gameplay. He is not affected by friction and any floor movement of any sort due to him skating/floating slightly in midair. However he's not as easy to control as Sonic now and mastery over skidding can potentially save you from hard platforming segments.

[video]http://giant.gfycat.com/ClosedWeakApatosaur.webm[/video]
oh and when you go super the limit on chaos control is removed.

Many thanks to Motorroach, RedEchidna, and Hellhawk for the spindash and drowning Lua, Jay and Hellhawk for Chaos Control, Larztard for skating SFX, and to Blade for charselect pic.

Download Now

File Type: rar Shadow.rar (223.7 KB, 12812 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.png
Views:	984
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	6581  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 08-11-2015   #42
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade Gamer View Post
Funny thing is back in 1.09.4 there used to be a option to let custom characters go super in singleplayer and this was used in nearly every character so it got removed in 2.0
Which is really stupid, if you ask me. "People are actively using this feature! Better remove it!"
MetalKnux101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #43
"Lat'"
Une brillante idée...

Legit Super transformations are technically still not allowed in 2.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB2 Wiki
SF_SUPER Determines if the character can turn Super in Single Player, cannot be set in S_SKIN. Only used by Sonic.
It requires a bit of Lua in order for a character to be able to turn Super by itself.

Going back on Shadow himself, I noticed he magically loses his finger when he's outside of the back rotation of his skating frames, that's not much of an issue, but it's kinda weird when you think about it.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #44
Prime 2.0
Actually a decent lazy bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalKnux101 View Post
Which is really stupid, if you ask me. "People are actively using this feature! Better remove it!"
I'm not sure you understand. Everyone used it, the option may as well have not existed and just always been on. There was even a Paper Mario wad that had a super form, for goodness sakes!

At the end of the day though, it was taken out as part of a broader reworking of how abilities are given to character wads, to get away from the "everything that makes you stronger in a checkbox" approach that led to Super Mystic Sonic's existence, and its imitators. At the time, the master server was flooded with such things to the detriment of being able to enjoy the game, so one of the goals of the character wad changes was to put a damper on that.

Needless to say, it worked.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015   #45
.Luke

Technically, you can add whatever feature you want now that Lua is in the game, including Super Forms. Removing a simple variable to easily set it doesn't change a thing for dedicated content creators.

In my case, sadly, I can't justify learning the language, so none of my own skins are decked out with awesome abilities. They're so boring compared to everyone else's characters for it, I might as well have not ported those awful old things over. You seriously need a little Lua to make something interesting now.

Still, I feel the game is better off in that direction, even if I can't follow in it. Less sandwich builder INI style variables, more scripts without the limitations I raged at with frustration in 1.09's days.
Old 09-12-2015   #46
blueyoussef
Blue with spikes

I love this wad.
blueyoussef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #47
Aegix
Generally Friendly

Wow. Just...Wow.

I've been playing this game since waaaay back when Knux was a miserable pile of pixels, so I've seen many "Shadow" wads pop up. Most of them have just been "Sonic with a homing attack", and the rare few with abilities often didn't work at all.

This?

This is amazing. It's got everything I would expect from Shadow. Ridiculous top speed, difficult handling since he's actually kinda flying over the ground, and a teleport skill that's both game-breakingly-fun, and also not totally broken. It's fun for pros because of the game-breaking top speed and fun tricks you can do with him, but also newbie friendly too with the teleport's ability to save your bacon if you goof up.

I haven't had a chance to try his super form yet, since my game is outright refusing to let me use super forms for anyone, for some mysterious reason, but just his base form is a ton of fun already.

Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime 2.0 View Post
I'm not sure you understand. Everyone used it, the option may as well have not existed and just always been on. There was even a Paper Mario wad that had a super form, for goodness sakes!
Ugh, I remember those days. Paper mario wasn't the worst, IMO. I think Riku was the worst.

Seriously, that wad got worse with each update. Oh, a somewhat slow character with a simple double jump, neat, makes the game kinda challenging. Oh wait, now he's sonic-speed and has a totally ridiculous knuckles glide. Oh wait, now he's got a super form which literally just turns his pants silver so he can be even more broken. Whyyyyyy... ;_;

This removal of the "can go super" checkbox was a great move in the right direction. There are less new character wads now, but the ones that exist are much more fun and well-made.
Old 09-27-2015   #48
MrPixl
Ahem.

Probably one of my favorite wads. Good sprites, and impressive lua. Good job.
MrPixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015   #49
76Nova

This is a fantastic wad. The sprites are superb, and actually having a Shadow that doesn't play the same as Sonic is definitely a refreshing experience. Chaos Control didn't seem overpowered or underpowered, and to be honest it fit right in with the flow of the game. Easily one of my favourite 2.1 character wads.

Last edited by 76Nova; 10-13-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Actually said something about the wad :p
76Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015   #50
Murilo

ALL HAIL SHADOW! do you have a 2.2 spindash lua for 2.1? because there's a 2.2 drowning and spindash sprites in shadow.
Murilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015   #51
TripleT

This be the best character wad that ever played! I like how that Shadow instantly moves fast when you begin to move him around. The Super Shadow is freaking awesome. He moves very fast for standard character. I am glad to have found character wad there!
TripleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015   #52
Jbulleit97

This is an awesome wad, but I'm having a major problem with it. For some reason, whenever I reach running speed as Shadow, it seems to sporadically switch between Sonic and Shadow running animations. I'm not using the most recent version of SRB2 because I'm on a Mac, but it's confusing me nonetheless because the mod seems to work fine otherwise. Could someone fix this, or at least figure out what's going on? If you need more information to help, please ask.
Jbulleit97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015   #53
Speedwagon
likes to assault raccoons
Developer

Shadow was built to be compatible with version 2.1.14. AFAIK there were few changes made in the Lua which makes it incompatible with older srb2 versions. So unless you update... Tough luck I guess. 8I
Speedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015   #54
Jbulleit97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
Shadow was built to be compatible with version 2.1.14. AFAIK there were few changes made in the Lua which makes it incompatible with older srb2 versions. So unless you update... Tough luck I guess. 8I
http://gobobpipe.com/images/funnies/...-cow-fence.jpg
Jbulleit97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015   #55
Sapheros
That guy that ports

If you're using a Mac... Can't you download a Windows emulator and play SRB2's latest version?
Old 10-25-2015   #56
Xkower8181
btw do not touch the sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duon the Adventurer View Post
If you're using a Mac... Can't you download a Windows emulator and play SRB2's latest version?
I also heard of something like WINE but for Mac I don't remember it's name but it is to run windows apps on Mac like the WINE is for Linux.
Xkower8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015   #57
NicktendoProductions
Username's kinda awkward...

I'm getting a weird glitch when I start running, instead of running animation, some sprites appear replacing shadow until he stops running. One of the sprites that appear is Speedwagon's avatar. Is there a way to fix this?
NicktendoProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015   #58
Sapheros
That guy that ports

I... I think your Shadow might have broken, are you using 2.1.14?
Old 10-28-2015   #59
NicktendoProductions
Username's kinda awkward...

Oh, I forgot to install the update. This explains things.
Old 11-19-2015   #60
spellwiz

This wad is AWESOME! If there are any future updates, I think this wad would be complete if chaos control was his custom 1 instead of part of his jumping mechanics. There are points on various map packs where I would much rather press 1 to use chaos control because I don't want to homing to a enemy/spring/etc. That would then open him up to more customs, like light dash, double jump, "speed stomp" (Green Eyes), etc. It would allow for much more fluid gameplay as well. You could *custom 1* into a dash and then *custom 1* again if you need to make the landing or anything like that. You can *custom 1* into a light dash, *custom 1* again and still have your dash. Just my ideas, I just really, REALLY, want the chaos control separated from his jump and made into a custom, allows for much more control and better mechanics imo.
spellwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015   #61
Xkower8181
btw do not touch the sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellwiz View Post
*original the idea here*.
Well actually Shadow stands out of rest characters here that he just coesn't have a shit ton of custom abilities
Xkower8181 is offline   Reply With Quote