SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Metal Sonic Details »»
Metal Sonic
Developer Last Online: Jul 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (11 votes - 4.82 average)
Released: 03-16-2014 Last Update: 10-15-2014 Installs: 11
Characters

A new version of SRB2 means a new version of Metal Sonic! He's now far from being a Sonic clone, with his Hi-jump and Maximum Overdrive attack.

UPDATE - 1/16/17
  • Fixed a small bug that made Metal Sonic break in 2.1.17.

UPDATE - 11/12/14
  • Fixed a sound bug relating to the 2.1.12 update.

UPDATE - 10/15/14
It's been a while, but the new, hopefully final, version of Metal Sonic is out! Plenty of changes this time around.
  • New animations for Overdrive, falling, and spinning.
  • Upped the Hi-jump power.
  • Updated Overdrive effects.
  • Overdrive no longer damages players while charging.
  • Overdrive no longer damages friendly players in multiplayer modes.
  • Overdrive now has custom hit and death messages.
  • Overdrive can now break spin-breakable walls.
  • Most likely a few small tweaks that I forgot.
A big thanks to MotorRoach for the new, awesome spinning sprites!

UPDATE - 3/21/14
  • Fixed a bug concerning his Super form being completely invincible.
  • Added Super transformation sprites.
  • Lowered sound effect volume.

UPDATE - 3/20/14
  • Fixed an issue where sounds were played across the entire map.
  • Fixed a bug relating to his spintrail which caused the console to get spammed with an error.
  • Brand new spindash behavior.

Also included in the wad are some emblem sprites in case anyone wants to support Metal in their level pack.

Download Now

File Type: zip MetalSonic.zip (463.2 KB, 3023 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20003.png
Views:	4200
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3810   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.png
Views:	3238
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	3811   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20006.png
Views:	8670
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	3812   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.png
Views:	4455
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	3813   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20013.gif
Views:	3858
Size:	5.32 MB
ID:	5757  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 03-22-2014   #22
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

Metal Sonic works just fine for me on 2.1.4.

Also, I'm not sure if this was intended, but whenever Metal Sonic reaches full speed in the opposite direction of the conveyor he's on, he goes into Overdrive. Speed shoes cause Overdrive mode as well.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #23
Zero_the_artificial
A Weavile Enthusiast

I love this Metal Sonic. The only thing that bothers me is his Super Sprites. Why isn't he Neo Metal Sonic or Metal Sonic MK II (Take advantage of Super Knuckles' pallete)?
Old 03-23-2014   #24
Gray21oh
The Not-So Gray Guy

Actually this wad is actually broken in 2.1.4 or at least the one hosted here (I found a fixed wad on some random server). What I mean is that Metal's Overdrive hurts himself whenever you want to charge it.
Gray21oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #25
Chimera
Your best friend

EDIT: Nevermid >_>;

Last edited by Chimera; 03-24-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014   #26
Willstolife

So... hes like Sonic but more hard to control?
Willstolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #27
J-town
Totally Not Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willstolife View Post
So... hes like Sonic but more hard to control?
Er, no.

The differences are...
> Metal is far faster than Sonic, run-speed wise.
> Metal can initiate an "Overdrive" attack by charging a spindash for a while, or collecting Super Sneakers. Metal retains full control of movement during Overdrive, unlike a spindash. Also, when using Overdrive, enemies and players can be attacked by just running into them. I have no idea if attacking players is intentional, as it even breaks friendlyfire.
> Metal has no mid-air ability (so no thok) but jumps higher depending on how fast he's going - At zero speed, he jumps about Sonic's height.
Old 03-31-2014   #28
Willstolife

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-town View Post
Er, no.

The differences are...
> Metal is far faster than Sonic, run-speed wise.
> Metal can initiate an "Overdrive" attack by charging a spindash for a while, or collecting Super Sneakers. Metal retains full control of movement during Overdrive, unlike a spindash. Also, when using Overdrive, enemies and players can be attacked by just running into them. I have no idea if attacking players is intentional, as it even breaks friendlyfire.
> Metal has no mid-air ability (so no thok) but jumps higher depending on how fast he's going - At zero speed, he jumps about Sonic's height.
Oh. Thanks for explaining. Sad that the thok gone, but overdrive is amazing. But maybe too OP. Maybe if your hold it for about 10 sec, it might not be as bad.
Willstolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014   #29
FieryExplosion
Spriting and lazing around

Quote:
Oh. Thanks for explaining. Sad that the thok gone, but overdrive is amazing. But maybe too OP. Maybe if your hold it for about 10 sec, it might not be as bad.
Yeah, the Max. Overdrive can be OP thanks to the fact that it can hurt players in ANY game mode. That... can get annoying when someone's charging as Metal while in the beginning of race/competition, and can lead to quite a few deaths... and maybe a couple of game overs.

However, it IS hard to control if you've charged it up good enough, so I guess the odds are balanced out... somewhat. I wonder if you'll be able to make a couple of edits to it to make it a bit less annoying in multiplayer.
FieryExplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014   #30
gregory_house
ʇxǝʇ pǝddᴉlɟ ɹɐoɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ʍoN

Sometimes, while playing in a netgame (I don't exactly know what might be causing this) this shows up in the console:
Quote:
WARNING: ./MetalSonic.wad|LUA_GAME:95: accessed mobj_t doesn't exist anymore, please check 'valid' before using mobj_t.
Hook removed.
And his overdrive attack stops working, behaving instead like a regular spin, until you close the game.
gregory_house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #31
Grimmdays

REALLY great wad, would love to have this actually unlock in the game after beating him in ERZ3.
Grimmdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #32
Pure-Fat Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmdays View Post
REALLY great wad, would love to have this actually unlock in the game after beating him in ERZ3.
Yeah, I always thought that Metal Sonic was an unlockable character in SRB2. Still don't know why... Specially this masterpiece.
Pure-Fat Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #33
Metal Blake
200% G A M E R

Quote:
Just gonna say that unless the Metal Sonic wad from 1.09.4 was made by blade, then non of Blade's Metal Sonic versions have had the thok ability (in fact, the first version I know of back in 2.0 had the double jump ability, which I find better than the thok...)

Anyway, love the new improvements from the 2.0 version, with the exeption of the high jump, I personally prefer the double jump to it, but eh, it would make him just that much more OP. Anyway...

Sprites: Much better than in 2.0, and the running looks a lot better.

Overdrive Attack: I absolutely love this, way better than the spindash, even if it was improved for 2.1. I also like how you can control it, also unlike the spindash.

Spike Break: This one I find just ok. There's really not many good places to use it right now, other than maybe ERZ3, and you really cannot use it unless in the Overdrive attack, which is not always a good idea to use in ERZ3, you have a speed powerup, or you have gone super, which means it's not that useful. Although, I would like to see a map that maybe used this ability to help you find hidden paths and powerups (and maybe a Metal Sonic only mandatory path...).

Overall, great addon, shame though nothing can be unlocked when he's active.
Metal Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #34
Jellybones
Lawful Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Fat Inc. View Post
Yeah, I always thought that Metal Sonic was an unlockable character in SRB2. Still don't know why... Specially this masterpiece.
Yeah, I always thought the concept of an unlockable character would be good, and Metal Sonic is unique while not being so wildly different that levels would play oddly with him. He's could be like a hard mode Sonic.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite wads to use. If I could actually host I'd always be adding this one to netgames. The sound effects help make him feel different too.
Jellybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014   #35
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

The jump sound still sucks ass. Find something with a shorter decay (or modify it in Audacity/Goldwave). The other sounds are okay.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #36
tee2330

very good wad, I just wish he could turn super in single player I wonder if there's a wad that let's the player turn super in single player, since he can go super in CTF, oh and the super abilities he had in JTE and running on water would be a nice touch seriously no one does that anymore.

Last edited by tee2330; 04-19-2014 at 06:32 PM.
tee2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014   #37
Blade
ANNIHILATE.
Developer

New version out! Check the first post for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawfulfan
Linedef Type 451 - Linedef Executor: Make Level 20% Cooler!
Quote:
Blade was hit by Inuyasha.
<Blade> osuwari
Inuyasha is no longer super.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #38
MotorRoach
Top Cock
Developer

The way you updated the overdrive ability's effects are unspeakably amazing, and I specially love how it's clearer when the overdrive charging reached it's limit~
MotorRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #39
DoomGamesLover
Permanently Banned

Whew,Finally i can load this on my Server without caring about trolls :D ..

Last edited by DoomGamesLover; 10-16-2014 at 06:28 AM.
DoomGamesLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014   #40
tee2330

wish there was metal versions of tail and knuckles, and it'd be cool to have a metal shadow, though for some reason I still haven't seen a basic shadow character even though he's one of the most popular and requested characters out there.
tee2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014   #41
MightyandRay
These guys for Sonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee2330 View Post
wish there was metal versions of tail and knuckles, and it'd be cool to have a metal shadow, though for some reason I still haven't seen a basic shadow character even though he's one of the most popular and requested characters out there.

Meet the official metal forms of Tails and Knuckles: Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles, both from Sonic R. As for Shadow, Speedwagon is working on that, so be patient.
MightyandRay is offline   Reply With Quote