Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > SRB2 Forum Archives

Old 07-24-2009   #1
FuriousFox
AKA FuriousFox
Developer

Default Using lvlconv.exe to convert 1.09.4 levels to v2.0

1. Press Start -> Run...

2. Type "cmd" and hit Enter

3. Navigate to your SRB2 folder using the "cd" command.

4. Type lvlconv [filename] [mapnumber], where [filename] is the name of the wad and [mapnumber] is the 2 digit map number.
NOTE:For extended map numbers (A0-ZZ), you can still just use the 2 letters used as the map number.

5. The window will display information about how it is converting the map. It will not be a perfect conversion, due to changes made in v2.0.
a. All Silver Ring (25 Rings) monitors will be converted to Super Ring (10 Rings) monitors. The Silver Ring monitor no longer exists.
b. The map will only be converted in the Normal difficulty. Easy, Hard, and Very Hard difficulties have been removed from the game.
c. Headers and other SOCs will not be converted. These will have to be rewritten or converted manually.
d. Weapon Rings will be converted to Weapon Ammo. Multiplayer levels are probably better off being completely redesigned.
e. Inferno Shield converts to Force Shield. Inferno's abilities have been absorbed into the Elemental Shield.
f. Some effects are no longer supported and have no equivalent in v2.0. lvlconv will warn you when it encounters something like this and will tell you that you need to manually fix your level.
Old 07-24-2009   #2
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

I didn't think the program was going to be THIS primitive. I'll stick with SRB2 Doom Builder.
Old 07-24-2009   #3
Torgo
Developer

Good luck trying to convert every linedef special and thing numbers then. Using the converter is not that hard. It is much easier then manually converting.

Keep in mind, that this is only for people who already started on levels that were in the 1.09.4 format. If you want to make a brand new level, then you can use the 2.0.0 SRB2 DB/WB config.
Old 07-24-2009   #4
BlueZero4

Firstly, where's the download?

Secondly, wouldn't it just be easier to make a batch file?
Old 07-24-2009   #5
Torgo
Developer

The level converter comes with srb2_v20.exe. You can certainly make a batch file to convert the levels, but I think that you might not notice the warnings (if it gives any warning that is).
Old 07-24-2009   #6
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Where do I get the 2.0.0 SRB2 DB/WB config? is it included with 2.0
Old 07-24-2009   #7
Sonict
Administrator

No. It isn't. We haven't gotten around to uploading those files yet.

My YouTube account: http://youtube.com/user/Sonict11
Old 08-09-2009   #8
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
Good luck trying to convert every linedef special and thing numbers then. Using the converter is not that hard. It is much easier then manually converting.

Keep in mind, that this is only for people who already started on levels that were in the 1.09.4 format. If you want to make a brand new level, then you can use the 2.0.0 SRB2 DB/WB config.
From how things are going for me, the manual conversion is actually pretty easy. Actually, it's easier than converting the Christmas levels to the 1.09.4 engine.
Old 08-10-2009   #9
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

More specifically, how does this program treat difficulties? Does it just flat out ignore thing types that don't appear in Normal difficulty, or does it convert ALL thing types to Normal? I ask this because in the process of porting Mystic Realm, for instance, both Easy/Normal Eggman and Hard Spikeball Eggman appear in boss levels of the mod.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
Old 08-10-2009   #10
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

I'm pretty sure it deals with it by ignoring anything not set to Normal, but it's pretty trivial to just test it.
Old 08-10-2009   #11
FuriousFox
AKA FuriousFox
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Warrior View Post
More specifically, how does this program treat difficulties? Does it just flat out ignore thing types that don't appear in Normal difficulty, or does it convert ALL thing types to Normal? I ask this because in the process of porting Mystic Realm, for instance, both Easy/Normal Eggman and Hard Spikeball Eggman appear in boss levels of the mod.
It appears to me that it takes any object that's set to only show up in Easy or Hard and converts it to Thing Type 146, which is unknown. I'm not sure why it does that. It also properly converts any object that has a z-offset, regardless of difficulty.
Old 08-16-2009   #12
Eggmanfan

Eggman can still have his spikeballs in 2.0 .
Old 08-24-2009   #13
Bio Spark

Hmmmm..... I seem to get this when i am converting--LUMP MOD IS NOT AN APPLICATION WIN32 AVAIBLE
Old 08-27-2009   #14
jean131
Pie FTW

does it run on Win32 application
Old 08-28-2009   #15
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

You have to use the command line for lvlconv. It's a simple little program, no features really included. It's the same tool we used ourselves to convert the levels.
Old 09-01-2009   #16
son

How do you make a batch file?
Old 09-09-2009   #17
jean131
Pie FTW

can you make one for comand promant
Old 09-10-2009   #18
Kyasarin

One thing I dislike about this is that, when multiple levels are in a WAD file, the first one (in numerical order) comes out just fine, while the rest end up with a bunch of messed up effects everywhere.
Old 09-14-2009   #19
tcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZero4 View Post
Firstly, where's the download?

Secondly, wouldn't it just be easier to make a batch file?
You can download it here Link Removed I found it using Google!

Last edited by Torgo; 09-14-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2009   #20
Torgo
Developer

No tcox, that has nothing do do with converting srb2 levels. The lvlconv comes with the game. If you deleted it, then just extract it from the self extracting exe.