Vehicles (plus a beta level)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try out the healing mechanic and see if it's any good in Match or CTF. I might lower natural health regeneration somewhat, and give players match points for healing occupied, heavily damaged machines. (Friendly fire will be disabled in team games if this happens, to prevent boosting.)

Next update (unless it's a bugfix update) will see finished motorcycle sprites. I promise. (By the way, I switched the skid and brake controls for the motorcycle to make it easier to skid. Because fuck yo' muscle memory)

Last edited:
This is awesome, it'd be interesting to see an unreal tournament mod combined with this script to recreate UT2004's onslaught gametype, vehicles were a big thing there.

Yeah, this is very interesting, hope to see more from this.

This is an awesome idea and pretty fun to use on netgames. In the future I think you should re-sprite the vehicles and give them more Sonic inspired designs, though. Speaking of which, what if you made a plane vehicle based off of Tails' tornado?

I forgot to mention earlier, there's a glitch with the vehicle where if you grab an invincibility monitor then go inside of a vehicle then go out while you're still invincible, your invincibility stops before it's supposed to. I'd assume the same thing happens for the Power Sneakers too. The same thing happens with Chaos Emeralds. When you come out of the vehicle after going in with Emeralds, they vanish. I'm pretty sure you can't go into a vehicle while in super form either, or go super while in a vehicle and come out still super. I'm sure you're fully aware of this one, but there's a lot of Match and CTF maps where vehicles spawn in unfitting places, bad places where they get stuck in the wall, or just flat out down spawn in the map at all and have to be spawned manually by the host. I hope you fix this for the next release because I really like playing through the game with the vehicles and it's annoying to have to spawn them manually.

Motorcycle sprites are done! They're a little dopey and sometimes your head gets cut off, but they're here.
There's also three maps that spawn vehicles: Meadow Match, Cloud Palace CTF, and GFZ1 (just for funsies).

All my powerups disappear when I'm driving.
I wasn't sure what would go wrong if you have powerups in a vehicle, so I did that intentionally. That said, I don't see a good reason to nullify all powerups, so I'll see about lifting those restrictions. Except emeralds and Super players -- the protection that vehicles offer would make those too powerful.

it's annoying to have to spawn them manually.
I'm working on putting vehicle spawners in the most popular maps. For now, use placevehiclespawner instead of spawnvehicle to make your life a bit easier.

I wasn't sure what would go wrong if you have powerups in a vehicle, so I did that intentionally. That said, I don't see a good reason to nullify all powerups, so I'll see about lifting those restrictions. Except emeralds and Super players -- the protection that vehicles offer would make those too powerful.
Okay, I can understand not being able to go into a vehicle while you're already in super form, but you should allow players with Emeralds to go in. It's not like it'd be some super over powered protective shield to prevent yourself from losing your Emeralds. Obviously in a Match there'd be other people using vehicles aside from you. You could very easily have your vehicle destroyed if you don't know what you're doing. Plus, usually other people would be getting Emeralds too. So at worst it'd probably make it harder for anyone to turn super at all if you could enter a vehicle with Emeralds. It's just super annoying trying to collect Emeralds and having to avoid vehicles at all costs just so you don't lose any. Not to mention it's very easy to accidentally run into vehicles.

i would like to see a vehicle like warthog for team matches, where someone drives and another player shoots
Well he'd probably have to come up with a new design for it that doesn't show the players outside of the vehicle. So it'd probably be like another tank but with two people controlling it.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

mzcvxghfhk.gif

There's apparently a glitch with Rosy.wad where if you use the Super Peel Out, she actually does it inside the vehicle and re-scales to the size of the vehicle. This probably happens to other characters with a Peel Out ability too.

Some character wads break so bad with vehicles lol.
xlojpxduvc.gif
ltmsmanulk.gif
rgmujngnmv.gif

More of minor glitches:
nmuoguqhip.gif
olyajkcgsl.gif

I don't expect you to make vehicles 100% compatible with every character wad ever made, but it would be nice to see Shadow, Rosy, and Metal Sonic accommodated for, since they're pretty much the main character wads people use.

By the way, damaging other players with a vehicle doesn't give you any points.

Last edited:
Just pushed a huge update with stuff I've been meaning to fix for a while. Tanks can break stuff, helicopters can carry players, and powerups are now worth something. Also, some of the most popular custom characters now interact with vehicles correctly.

Just pushed a huge update with stuff I've been meaning to fix for a while. Tanks can break stuff, helicopters can carry players, and powerups are now worth something. Also, some of the most popular custom characters now interact with vehicles correctly.
Sounds good. Specifically what characters are compatible at the moment?

Greeneyes, Rosy, Metal, Shadow, and Mario have been tested. Characters whose abilities rely only on the Custom buttons should also be OK, now that those buttons also make you exit the vehicle.

zmhyhozbrr.gif

There's a glitch with Metal Sonic where if I fire weapons in a vehicle it always hurts me. Also, I hope you plan on making shields allowed inside of vehicles, especially since Emeralds are now. By the way, I tested out Mighty, Amy Rose, Blaze, Minus, Gargoyle, B.A.S.H, Eggman (Jetpack), Tikal, Jetty-Syns, Sally Acorn, Jasper, Cream, Crawla Honcho, Robo-Hood, Sharp, Ugly Knux, 2.0 Knux, and Lepori and none of them seem to have any problems with vehicles.

I and a few other servers decided to host a few mech war battles with this, and we had hours of fun. Quite an out-of-the-box idea, very fun, action-packed, and awesome!

Some recommendations and future bug fixes to make this mod even moar betterer:

• Find a way to distinguish empty vehicles from occupied vehicles. Maybe with a reserved color, such as black if not occupied. At times, it was hard for the players to distinguish between the two, with no visual indication, and vehicles abandoned by other players keeping the player's color.
  • Add another command with parameters to randomly create vehicle spawn points in the map, a total amount of spawn points to make, and odds for each vehicle type to randomize. This would make adding vehicles to non-official maps quicker and easier than manually placing some.
  • Fix the first-person sprites to have lower sprite layer priority. Sometimes the sprites would be displayed over normal weapons and game stats (such as time remaining)
  • Killing an opponent in a vehicle does not make them "IT" in tag mode.
  • Add a command to toggle friendly fire in Team Match
  • Add physical hitting of the vehicles by jumping into the bots (like with HitKid's physical attack lua script, like with normal 'Robos in SRB2)
  • Vehicles can sometimes access restricted areas. (Example: Motorcyclists can access the restricted area in Orbital Hangar Zone for Match where the monitors loop on the conveyor belt, near the pulsating yellow piston things)
Other than these small issues, great job!

No real bug fixes at the moment, but I've added some much-needed eye candy. Little arrows above empty vehicles show their approximate health, and are more visible than the old dumb health bars. The new HUD shows the vehicle's available weapons, which for example clarifies the motorcycle's ability to fire red rings.

Don't use Tossflag to exit anymore! Use Custom 1/2/3 -- those will never be used for vehicle operation. I changed it after a CTF game where people kept dropping the flag while trying to exit the vehicle.

Find a way to distinguish empty vehicles from occupied vehicles. Maybe with a reserved color
Unfortunately, you can't reliably reserve a color and expect people not to pick it. Especially not black. The arrows should work fine.

Hey, OthenChen, i enjoy That your good at lua and stuff, infact... better than hitcoder in some ways. Anyways, One of my friends is hosting the 0.11 edition, and i only have 0.12. Mind if i ask you to make a version Archive? Thank you. ~JoggingHedge, 2015.

----====--------===-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Swiggity swooty, ima jogging and huntin for dat booty.

infact... better than hitcoder in some ways.

I've heard it all now.

On a side note, "in some ways"? No, that's an understatement, I'm a lazy piece of crap, as well as physattk losing popularity very quickly. Vehicles in SRB2? That will never get old.

Nice job otherchen.

>Dedicates 1/4 of post to saying "Nice job"
>The rest is saying how bad you are

Seriously HitCoder, as much as I don't like bashing on people that do this stuff, this isn't the right place. This thread is reserved for this mod here, so take that attitude elsewhere if you don't mind.

On subject of the mod, I think it's brilliant. VEHICLES in SRB2?

The last time I was as interested in a mod related to vehicles was Skywars with those jet things. This is pretty much a step up from all of that. LUA sure is awesome, huh?

All of the vehicles seem to have their uses, and since I last played, sprites seem to have been added for more angles. Awwww sweet~

...Either way, my favourite vehicle has to be the motorcycle just because of the fact you can combine that with the Shadow wad for maximum edge.

Though one complaint I could say about it is the fact that it gives you that weird skin and helmet no matter what character you are. I mean, even with Sylveon or something? ...Er, to be frank, I haven't checked with other characters at all, but from what I gather it is the case with multiple. I imagine this is unfixable, but it's a little thing that could be improved if possible.

Other than that, awesome work. This'll be fun in other gametypes no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back